Saint cranks
LG1

Not a clue on the weight.

Couple more older pics.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
It's not what you wanted but interesting anyway. Built around '01 it features 19" wheels with cut 2.5" trials tires, RST mozo fork, risse damper, early hayes brakes with razorrock levers, goodridge lines etc. The cranks are 145mm stylos (modified) hugi hubs, thompson post, easton bars etc. the thing has been sitting for several years. The saddle, as bizaar as it is was fashionable at the time.

I'm pretty sure that this is my favourite kids bike EVER.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
this is ridiculous. wtf is the foes doing in there? i thought we established single crowns only.
really? didnt see that posted anywhere chief

Anything with single crowns doesn't make the grade in my eyes, so I was just making a thread that covered them also, all the way down to 4" crossers, and hardtails built for DH. Didn't want to make it so people winged if someone posted a 7" single crowned slop style slayer.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Oh, and since we are at it ,here is another of FTW's creations that I think fits the bill for this thread:

Sinster Splinter MX. I now run it with a Lyrik, a DHX5, Avid Juicy 7s. I also now have a red one!
6"x6" Perfect for Shore, Whistler, you name it.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
I don't really get how that's mini-DH?

Mini DH to me would be sub 6" travel with DH geometry. some All-mountain XC bikes have 7"+ travel these days and IMO they're not mini-DH bikes
I don't know about anyone else, but I find that when travel decreases, angles don't need to be as slack. I don't think I'd want to ride a 5" travel bike with a 65 or 64 deg HA and a really laid back seat tube, doesn't sound the least bit maneuverable to me. If the course requires less travel (i.e. Sea Otter), it probably requires less slackness in the HA and SA.

Here's my trail bike, which is also my biggest bike now, after quite a few years of having bigger bikes. I find bigger bikes are useless until the speeds get ridiculous, the hits gigantic, and the steepness scary. But in those situations, they are fun as hell.

Attachments

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
I don't know about anyone else, but I find that when travel decreases, angles don't need to be as slack. I don't think I'd want to ride a 5" travel bike with a 65 or 64 deg HA and a really laid back seat tube, doesn't sound the least bit maneuverable to me.
though sagged h/a is what really matters, and a mini might sit a couple degrees steeper at sag. for that reason, i prefer a smaller bike to have a ~dh h/a. personal preference, of course.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
though sagged h/a is what really matters, and a mini might sit a couple degrees steeper at sag. for that reason, i prefer a smaller bike to have a ~dh h/a. personal preference, of course.
yeah I see your point. I think I'm happier when it's less slack, it just takes too much effort to negotiate tight stuff, which exists all over the place where I am... switchbacks are narrow & tight, the only way to do them on a big bike is to ride off-trail or skid the rear around sharply. I know good DH racers can swap the DH bike around quickly but I'm not a good DH racer. heh heh heh.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
Only one Mini DH pictured so far, here is another:

In trail mode:

In DH mode and action:

Difference between trail mode and DH mode for me was: Lowered and tilted seat, bigger discs, rotated head tube sleeve and different tires.

Such an awesome bike :)

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I don't know about anyone else, but I find that when travel decreases, angles don't need to be as slack. I don't think I'd want to ride a 5" travel bike with a 65 or 64 deg HA and a really laid back seat tube, doesn't sound the least bit maneuverable to me.
Why? the only parts of a DH track that a shorter travel bike will be slower on are the roughest parts (which aren't usually the fastest parts) I find low n slack better for DH cornering no matter how little travel I have (and my little slack ass 4.5" bike is way more manouverable than my Sunday ever could be).

anyway.. OP said no bitchin and more pics so here's a random pic of one of my favourite old skool mini DH bikes..

:clapping: @ the ridiculous saddle

yellowjeep

Chimp
Jan 18, 2009
How about another hard tail? Its my do everything and its still more than I need in KS. I'll hopefully be relocating to CO in the next two years and at that point Ill build up and Intense SS. By far my favorite frame. This will do for now though.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
My '05 SX is currently my main trail/ mini dh, but can't find any pics. Here's a shot of my '04 Gemini set up with shorter stroke/ i2i air shock and Pike. I prefer the SX to that set up, so the Gemini is now my big trail bike with a Lyrik and dh bike when I throw the heavy rims/ wheels and bigger rotors on 'er.

Last edited:

Tom DH

Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
UK
Here’s my Heckler, just put some 36’s on it but might drop them to 140 as it feels a bit high. This is my DH/do anything bike now. I haven’t had a big bike for a few years now and I don’t think I ever will go back to one. don’t get me wrong DH bikes are good but I can do so much more on this bike compared to a DH bike.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004

Recently built, only ridden a couple pedaly small local to me spots yet. Hope to get a it more lift time this year, mainly interested in Killington and Plattekill for steep and chunky natural terrain - I'm no big hucker or jumper, just like ugly trails.

Spare stuff and nearly 100% ebay bought. Paid about 1/3 what would have been full retail for the whole thing. A bit slimmed from this pic, it's 36# even right now. Pedals really, really well. Climbs (and pushes) up to get to the top well, just slowly.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Oh, and since we are at it ,here is another of FTW's creations that I think fits the bill for this thread:

Sinster Splinter MX. I now run it with a Lyrik, a DHX5, Avid Juicy 7s. I also now have a red one!
6"x6" Perfect for Shore, Whistler, you name it.
Sickest bikes ever IMO. Mine is a Medium, Roco TST (lockout option), and a '08 66 ATA that I've gutted and buttered up, all of that with seatpost extension and a dual ring makes it the everything bike. 65.0* HA too!