Quantcast

mini DH, full DH, what the crap

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
So I see this new term mini DH being thrown around a lot now and it makes me wonder what exactly is 'mini DH' ? All I can tell is a mini DH has a little bit less travel. Am I to assume that my Mountain Cycle Sin is a mini DH?

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
Mini DH is a name of a bike series in the Commencal line up.

Max Commencal beleives that the majority of mtb lift assisted park riding only needs a 6 inch or so bike with a single crown fork of similar travel because most of the riding downhill but not taken at race speeds which require 7 or more inches of travel and dual crown forks.

also this allows the Mini DH bikes to be built lighter and be more efficient pedaling bikes, which means you can take them uphill as well,

and I agree with him, after racing and riding DH all over north america and into europe, i realize that the lift serviced places like Are, Whistler, Mont Ste Anne, Port Du Soleil, Les Deux Alpes only require a solid 6 inch bike

here is a pic

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
In other words it is a "freeride" bike, but they know that some DHers don't like that term... so the marketing department reclassified them1

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Since my thread is probably what set you off I'll chime in : ) The others are correct in saying that most parks don't really need an 8x8" bike to handle the terrain, and that it's nice to be able to pedal the damn thing from time to time as well. In addition to all that, I personally really love fast/flow trails with berms and jumps which do not necessitate a larger travel bike. I'll bet the same is the case for others as well.

Also, my other ride is from the 50+lb huck-bike era. In comparison, anything is "mini."

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Which trails are you guys riding at these parks? Granted, trails like A-line, Dirt Merchant Pleney (for the Euros) etc barely require 6" to rip down, but I'd love to see you guys tackle the more gnarly stuff at any decent pace. Ridden Joyride, Rock City etc lately?

Not saying that "mini DH" bikes can't be fun, and ideal for most people's riding, I would just have thought that lift-accessed bike parks are the one place where you DO want all that travel. Hell, in a day at Whistler I can get almost 10 runs including Garbo. I'd be beaten to a pulp on a 6" bike. There is, however, a frustratingly large proportion of riders that never venture off the likes of A-line and Dirt Merchant, as it's what they believe to be "downhill". Each to their own.

Rover Nick

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Lighter weight, easier to throw around. I also think that most people in the market for a 'mini' DH bike are not noobies. Most of them have enough skill to counteract the shorter suspension.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
Lighter weight, easier to throw around. I also think that most people in the market for a 'mini' DH bike are not noobies. Most of them have enough skill to counteract the shorter suspension.
That is a very big generalization. You did say most, but I think they are basically a renamed a long-travel trail bike. Sure, they have the DH geometry, such as a 64-66 headangle and a lower BB, but they are pedalable. I would be in the market for one if I have money, but I don't know if I could handle a real DH course with one. I would use it for a fun bike, but it could hold up to any terrain.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Easy, start out riding a hardtail, itll make you alot smoother. Also you have to tune your fork and rear shock to your riding wieght and style, Marz made the fork for me, curently it has one heavy one medium spring, compression side has 15w and rebound has 10w. Fox does teh custom tuning also, or you can have Push tune them for you, they do an Excellent job withere there suspension tuning.

In the second picture there you can see that i am most defently using up all the travel that i had available to me, just a reminder though, suspension set up makes all the difference in the world, currently i am testing out a Manipoo slider 7 in travel. And i bottom it out all the time. If your having rtouble i would most defenetly suggest some custom tuning like push ETC

G3ars0fDH

Monkey
Dec 26, 2006
Easy, start out riding a hardtail, itll make you alot smoother. Also you have to tune your fork and rear shock to your riding wieght and style, Marz made the fork for me, curently it has one heavy one medium spring, compression side has 15w and rebound has 10w. Fox does teh custom tuning also, or you can have Push tune them for you, they do an Excellent job withere there suspension tuning.

In the second picture there you can see that i am most defently using up all the travel that i had available to me, just a reminder though, suspension set up makes all the difference in the world, currently i am testing out a Manipoo slider 7 in travel. And i bottom it out all the time. If your having rtouble i would most defenetly suggest some custom tuning like push ETC
how do I get my my bike custom tuned by fox?

sirbikealot

Monkey
Sep 19, 2001
Dundas,ON,CAN
In other words it is a "freeride" bike, but they know that some DHers don't like that term... so the marketing department reclassified them1

Not at all, a freeride bike is usually an over built frame with different geometry's, wheelbases and chainstay lengths.
A mini DH bike would mimic the characteristics of a DH or DH race specific bike more

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
my feeling is that the mini-DH phenominon was/is driven by the socal race scene. races like sea otter, fontana, firestone, ellings are best raced with a mini-DH bike, where a big-DH bike is overkill, but the speeds require DH geometry.

fontana has that super long, flat sprint at the bottom. altho rennie and peat raced succesfully on v10's this year, sea donkey is relatively smooth and can be raced on a nomad / SOC type 6. firestone is smooth and flowy, with a flat sprint on the bottom. ellings can be raced on a hardtail.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
after racing and riding DH all over north america and into europe, i realize that the lift serviced places like Are, Whistler, Mont Ste Anne, Port Du Soleil, Les Deux Alpes only require a solid 6 inch bike
You've been to Åre?!! That's cool, nice to hear that you equal a place in my boring country to all them other places you mentioned! But if you remember, on both of the old tracks going from the top to the middle of the mountain, Röda Rappet (leading west) and the end of Tusen Metern (just before the mid mountain resturant), there are long sections of blown up rocks that are really pointy and of varying size.

Further down the mountain there are root sections that are quicker a full on DH bike as well. Having said that, I've ridden a HT 3 out of 4 times that I've been there.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
after 2 weeks in whistler and watching everyone ride, the ppl who are having the most fun so it looks are on 5-7 in bikes with dh geo. i am sold

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Word. I tore up Mammoth on an Enduro and had a blast, and that's nothing but kitty litter and rocks where you'd think a DH bike would be better. Granted, my Demo made it easier, but not more fun.