Quantcast

Mini dh or a real dh bike, your thoughts?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I think it really comes down to whether you want to sacrifice performance on the downhill, or on the uphill.

As a few people have pointed out, downhill bikes are pretty light these days, so you aren't really going to save much weight by using a TR250 frame. Personally I hate climbing anyway (even if it's on a hardtail) so I'd rather have a bike that's 100% on the descents, and just deal with it when the terrain doesn't point down; but you might be different.

If you do get the big bike, get something that's light and pedals well... the dw-dhr or legend will do pretty well. Finally, plan your travels to suit. A lot of the alpine regions you mentioned offer a lot of lift-assisted riding, why pedal/push if you don't need to? :)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I really like the sx though I know it suffers a smidge on the square edge hits but aside of the rock sections it more than makes up time in the rest. Corners better, drops just as good, pedals better , handles the twisty stuff more nimble and the overall Geo is good.
Pedals better uphill and the rear has a avalanche chubbie that has pretty open valving so it sucks up alot of carnage and rocks.

Yes its Geo is pretty close to a dh bike yes its weight is close but the handling is better and have yet to find a dh bike as poppy and lively as this is. (Still want to try more dh frames)
A dh bike could be made to ride like this but then it would suffer in the really nasty stuff .
I find myself riding this 80% of the time now and aside of tunnel and another spot or 2 really dig the way it handles now.

Won't be getting rid of the dh bike lol but if I could only have 1 it would be the sxt.

(But then again Socal doesn't have squat for readily available dh resorts)

Last edited:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you do get the big bike, get something that's light and pedals well... the dw-dhr or legend will do pretty well. Finally, plan your travels to suit. A lot of the alpine regions you mentioned offer a lot of lift-assisted riding, why pedal/push if you don't need to? :)
That frames are light-ish and pedal well but you have to factor in a bit less race only setup too. Smaller front ring (maybe a hammershmidt like bullcrew) and a mtb casette instead of a road one that will really kill you on flats/uphills. My Legend pedals well (ie no/little bob) but for covering flat distance it is horrible. The ride from Morzine to Chatel really killed me. Using a bit more tire pressure if you are one of the guys who goes as low as possible would probably help too.

Eli.

Chimp
Aug 14, 2011
I've been riding a mini dh bike for the past couple seasons, and while it is pretty fun I am left wanting more aggressive geometry and a longer wheelbase. Trail bikes still aren't good enough to come anywhere close to the speed and confidence of a modern downhill bike.

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
A lot of the alpine regions you mentioned offer a lot of lift-assisted riding, why pedal/push if you don't need to? :)
cause i don't really know the area, and anytime i find myself exploring an unknown area i seem to get lost a lot and have to do a lot more pedaling haha
and aside of tunnel and another spot or 2 really dig the way it handles now.
unfortunately, tunnel is pretty much my favorite trail in the entire world...

good to see this thread bringing out some decent opinions. i'm leaning more and more toward a real DH bike.

candidates so far:
banshee legend. rode it, loved it, beautiful frame, decently priced.

dw-DHR. rode it. mind blown, do not feel worthy to ride such a perfect bicycle.

yeti 303rdh. wheelied one, felt very solid, looks like something from terminator (in black), uses proprietarily awesome rail technology.

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
Late to the party but I did read the whole thread...

I went w/ an SX Trail but never found it as a bike that I'd want to climb and eventually it migrated to a shuttle-only bike. Granted, I got the entry level model w/ a Domain which was heavy, and a M instead of a L frame (right on the cusp of sizes and if I wanted to pedal should have got the larger size), but it was 37lbs+ out of the box. Longer fork felt great and eventually went to a single ring, and then a dual crown. Now I'm looking to move it back to a 160 fork and take it back to its roots as a more "park" bike than the DH rig I was trying to make it, and transferring the burly bits to a real DH frame.

Totally a compromise, trying to make either bike excel in what it's not designed for...

IMO, if a day or two of pushing on your Euro trip is going to make your friends hate you as they pedal and wait for you, then go w/ a burly 6"+ that can pedal (Spesh Enduro EVO-kinda bike). If you really want to hit WC worthy courses on your trip, get a proper bike for it.

I did like the "get an adjustable frame and carry two forks on your trip" idea, FWIW. I mean, if you really want to mix it up on your trip, this sounds ideal, but not practical from a luggage standpoint. Dual crown and an air 160mm fork. Coil rear w/ Ti coil.

Closer... but still no Bionicon, lol.

Good luck

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Koowa has DC forks with adjustable travel between 0 and 200mm. 2 forks are not really needed ;)

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
are you going UP ever?

if YES, then new blindside, reign x, firebird, endorphin, etc
if NO then just get a dh bike, and build it how you need - i.e. wheel set weight, tire selection, single or dual crown, etc

why would you want a 38lb 6/6 bike when you could be on a 39lb 8/8 bike? neither are going to climb anyhow, you have chopped seat posts, slack head angles and a single front ring regardless.
I agree with this post for the most part..... Aside from using teh blindside as a climber...... it isnt. Reign X destroys the blindside for climbing, as in the Blindisde still climbs like a DH bik with xc parts on it..... Even mthough it is not as aggressive as what people consider to be DH geometry these days..... teh blindside still falls into the Freeride/DH catagory.

With that said, I will againa dd.... I beat the **** out of mine, I pedal it as much as I can, moreso for control, climb as little as I need to..... its just not a climber....

Out of this list for climebrs..... I would choose the Reign X.

...Disclaimer.... I strayed from the current topic a bit....