Quantcast

Minion 2.35 2ply DH casing?

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Does Maxxis make a Minion DHF or DHR in a 2.35 2 ply DH casing? Where can you get them? I thought a few pros raced them. Whats the story?

fireman

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Boulder, CO
I belive that maxxis stoped making 2.35 2 ply a year or two ago. I have a 2.35 2 ply larsen that I've been running but I do see it or any other 2.35 2 plys on their website or in their catalog.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yup - I had a 2-ply Minion in a 60d compound. For some reason they stopped making them around 03' - I have an 02' cataloge that shows them, and their weights.

Like what was DHRacer said - Chainreaction Cycles in the UK is your best bet.

...I should drop Hulen a line over at Maxxis and see what the deal was on that... and maybe find out some other stuff too...

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I didn't think that they made them either (Minion 2.35, 2-ply) until I recently saw a DHF at my LBS. It must've been older stock. Kanter, PM me if you want their info.

toby

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
maxyedor said:
Thats insane those are $40 with a great margin, your LBS is no bueno:dead:
I usually avoid work talk on here, but just what do you consider a great margin? That's the kind of margin that will send a shop out of business.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Anyone ever order from Chain Reaction Cycles??

Their prices with shipping are STILL better than some local shops.

Sep 28, 2004
Sweden
Most people here in Sweden buy their stuff from Chainreactioncycles. The prices are pretty low but most of the time you can find the stuff even cheaper in German webshops.

Minions in 2,35 42a would be very nice. Especially on my new wheels. ;)

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I cant believe their prices. You can get a 888 or 66 cheaper at Chainreactioncycles than the US. Most ALL parts are cheaper. They have FREE shipping, even overseas, on orders over a certain amount.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
monke880 said:
Why the 2.35? A Maxxis 2.5 is a 2.35 anyways. ;)

2.35 front and rear for trail/FR wheelset
2.7 front and 2.5 rear for DH resort riding

They have an exchange rate in the top right corner of the website. You click on it and it gives all prices in USD.

The website says;
66RC2X----$727.27 USD
888RC2X---$935.07 USD

Free shipping.

monke880

Chimp
Dec 11, 2005
Ojai, SoCal
Kanter said:
They have an exchange rate in the top right corner of the website. You click on it and it gives all prices in USD.

The website says;
66RC2X----$727.27 USD
888RC2X---$935.07 USD

Free shipping.
Damn. Where's this at? Chain Reaction? That's really cheap.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Thats what Ive been trying to say. All their stuff is pretty cheap and you get free shipping over about $400 USD

Sep 28, 2004
Sweden
Their prices are good, most of the times. But as I said. The Germans ar cheaper. ;)

The only good thing about German webshops are the prices. Their service is BAD most of the times. Dont reply on emails, dont speak english very good. And they usually want you to make banktransfers instead of using VISA / Paypal whatever.

A bad thing about chainreactioncycles is the warranty. Try to get anything "on the warranty". Its impossible. It doesnt matter what you brake or how you brake it, they wont replace it. Maybe its not worth the price difference then?

My LBS is good with warranty issues most of the time if its broken due to bad construction or other things that I havent caused.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
cal // sweden said:
Their prices are good, most of the times. But as I said. The Germans ar cheaper. ;)

The only good thing about German webshops are the prices. Their service is BAD most of the times. Dont reply on emails, dont speak english very good. And they usually want you to make banktransfers instead of using VISA / Paypal whatever.

A bad thing about chainreactioncycles is the warranty. Try to get anything "on the warranty". Its impossible. It doesnt matter what you brake or how you brake it, they wont replace it. Maybe its not worth the price difference then?

My LBS is good with warranty issues most of the time if its broken due to bad construction or other things that I havent caused.
Warranty issues are better if you deal directly with the manufacturer anyway.

Chimponarope

Chimp
Feb 11, 2006
UK
I've bought thousands of £'s worth of gear from chain reaction. They are VERY quick with the shipping (next day everytime to the UK if its in stock). A lot of the gear is OEM/unboxed which I suspect is where they make the savings, but for certain parts it doesn't matter (e.g. tyres, mechs etc) since they're virtually disposeable items. The forks are all retail though. Been nothing but useful when I dealt with them.

Hell I got a pair of Intense Intruder FRO's for £35 from there! Can't beat that when they're usually that each here.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Chain Reaction seems to be on the ball. They sent me an email that my order was received. Then the same day I got an email saying it had been shipped.

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
I have been stocking up on some 2.35 dual ply minion front's since I heard Maxxis stoped doing them, that is my favorite trail/XC tire. I picked up a couple 60d from my lbs and a couple on ebay. And i just orderd a couple slow reesays from chain reaction there are cheap! So I should be set for a bit now!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Maxxis are idiots. Last year they were going to disconinue SRY. Now you can only get the Minion 2.35 2ply in Europe. They need to pull their head out.

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
Kanter said:
Maxxis are idiots. Last year they were going to disconinue SRY. Now you can only get the Minion 2.35 2ply in Europe. They need to pull their head out.
Well I would not call them idiots personally... Maxxis has created/developed the best tires ever in the history of the wheel! I would say they have made a bad decision or two but I still do not want to run another tire!:)

Enjoy your minion DHF's! they are the shissizle!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Mtnrider said:
Well I would not call them idiots personally... Maxxis has created/developed the best tires ever in the history of the wheel! I would say they have made a bad decision or two but I still do not want to run another tire!:)

Enjoy your minion DHF's! they are the shissizle!

You know what I mean. Idiots is a little much. You are right. It just seems like they dont know what their customers want. Last year they said no more SRY. Then eveyone emailed and called them and they changed their mind. It seems like they need to talk to customers more and get more feedback.

I cant wait for the 2.35 2ply. Any idea on the weight?

BuddhaRoadkill

I suck at Tool
Feb 15, 2004
Chintimini Bog
I could have sworn there was buzz about a "new" compound and that's why they were discontinuing the Slow Reezaay. But I've been wrong about everything else in this thread, so ... :wonky2: :p

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
Kanter said:
You know what I mean. Idiots is a little much. You are right. It just seems like they dont know what their customers want. Last year they said no more SRY. Then eveyone emailed and called them and they changed their mind. It seems like they need to talk to customers more and get more feedback.

I cant wait for the 2.35 2ply. Any idea on the weight?

That is all true. I'm not coming down on you at all! I have no idea what the weight of the tire is, but I have compared the single ply to the dual in ways that really matter to you and me. I think the dual is way more pinch flat resistant and you can run lower pressures. It hooks up like crazy, I do like the 1ply tires they make and for XC I would now run a 2.5 single ply if I did not have the 2.35 dual ply as an option. I think Maxxis is missing out on a couple of huge markets... For example did you know the only 2.35 UST tires they have is the Highroller? Which is a great tire but why not have UST in Minion/Highroller/bling bling/tt/hansadventure/whatever tire they make? I only really care about the Minion and Highrollers you should be able to pick them up in any size and any dur, tubeless or not.

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
BuddhaRoadkill said:
I could have sworn there was buzz about a "new" compound and that's why they were discontinuing the Slow Reezaay. But I've been wrong about everything else in this thread, so ... :wonky2: :p
That was the word about six months to a year ago. Maxxis just may come out with a compoud that will blow us all away! But in the mean time give me my Slow Reesay! which they have done!