Which Minion is better run tubeless?

Minion Tubeless Supertacky with 1 cup stans
Minion 3C NON-tubeless with 2 cups stans

These will be on Flow rims.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
I've had much better luck with the 3C version. Tougher bead and sidewalls than the UST version, plus the tread seems to last longer.

cableguy

Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
Southern California
UST you can mount with floor pump, and holds air better. Non-UST works good too, but requires Stan's and compressor (at least for me). You lose something like 2-5 psi every week with non-UST. These tires don't last long, especially the ST compound, so you might want to try both.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If you tend to hit stuff with your wheel hard non ust tires will burp more air. Ive had no problems with my ST Minions.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Kntr run 3c and stans... Ive never had alot of luck with UST tires something to do with the compound, butyl and flexability and blowing them out.. Not 1 brand specific but a few different brands have gone south...

Between the 2 3C FTW
How low with the pressure can you go? <25psi?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
How low with the pressure can you go? <25psi?
I dont know Ive blown them (UST) out at almost 30+ psi, and after several brands quite using them. I refer stansand a more durable less flexy casing.

The MMs I run 28/26 and will drop 1-2 psi rear MAX and will do 30 occasionally but 28 psi is the sweet spot for me. DH casings Ill run a bit lower as the walls are less prone to rolling, like 26-27 range...

I know people run 20 psi :eek: I have no clue how thats possible... LOL but then theres guys that run 35 PSI and I cant stand the chatter...

I run Schwalbes for the last 2 years but when I was on the 3cs before I ran 26-28 and that was pretty spot on for me as well. I like that range it fits my style and cornering grip perfect...

Could be my weight and 28 psi is equal to a 185 lb guy at 22 psi :D

Last edited:

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I've posted this before, so sorry if I sound like a broken record...

The bead on UST Minions/Highrollers is crap. They tear if you hit something sideways or land funny. Then, Stans won't seal it cause it's near the rim. They flat-out suck! (No pun intended.)

Stick with standard bead models.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
OK, here is my two cents worth after having several team riders running tubeless set ups with Maxxis UST tires for the past two seasons.

We have had great success running Minions and Highroller USTs with the Stan's ZTR rims, no burping down to 26 PSI and no sidewall ripping.

If we try and run the same set up on a stiifer UST rim such as a Mavic 823 then forget it, you will cut the sidewalls frequently regardless of pressure and will also burp if run much below 30 PSI.

One of our Pro Riders has been running a ZTR / Minion tubless set up for the last two seasons and has not had single issue in 25 + races with his front tire / wheel and has only had one or two tire punctures in the rear over that time.
Having said that , the ZTR rim rear set up is not as stiff or as durable as the 823 or even a 721 rim set up, especially if you are bigger rider and ride like a hack.

Transcend DH Team

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
OK, here is my two cents worth after having several team riders running tubeless set ups with Maxxis UST tires for the past two seasons.

We have had great success running Minions and Highroller USTs with the Stan's ZTR rims, no burping down to 26 PSI and no sidewall ripping.

If we try and run the same set up on a stiifer UST rim such as a Mavic 823 then forget it, you will cut the sidewalls frequently regardless of pressure and will also burp if run much below 30 PSI.

One of our Pro Riders has been running a ZTR / Minion tubless set up for the last two seasons and has not had single issue in 25 + races with his front tire / wheel and has only had one or two tire punctures in the rear over that time.
Having said that , the ZTR rim rear set up is not as stiff or as durable as the 823 or even a 721 rim set up, especially if you are bigger rider and ride like a hack.

Transcend DH Team
I suspect the difference you are seeing in the flow vs 823 rims has something to do with the height of the bead socket wall (it's lower profile on the flows, i'm pretty sure. my flows and 823s are all mounted up so it's not easy for me to measure currently).

i had a new UST DHF in the garage that i mounted on my FR600/stan's rubber rim strip this May, and it's been holding up well at northstar so far. 29 psi (i'm a heavy guy) on the rear. not sure how the bead socket dimension compare to these other rims. the 600 is a pretty stiff rim.

DHracer1067

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
somewhere really ****ty
my experience seems to be quite random? I have 823 ust rims and all my tires are usually the 3c minion variant. sometimes they will inflate with a floor pump and sometimes its hell to just get them to seet with an air compressor and then they continually leak even with tons of stans in them. All of the ust minion tires have always inflated perfectly. I can't really speak to durability much since i never really ran the ust versions much but as long as I can get the 3c version to seat up good in the first place they always stay inflated and work really good. but I had a problem with this one a week ago that just didn't want to inflate and then lost air really quick so I just put a xc tube in it. so it seems there might be a bit of luck involved in how well it works for you. the 3c tires are way better than super tacky though. they last way longer and have a much better feel imo.

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
I suspect the difference you are seeing in the flow vs 823 rims has something to do with the height of the bead socket wall (it's lower profile on the flows, i'm pretty sure. my flows and 823s are all mounted up so it's not easy for me to measure currently).

i had a new UST DHF in the garage that i mounted on my FR600/stan's rubber rim strip this May, and it's been holding up well at northstar so far. 29 psi (i'm a heavy guy) on the rear. not sure how the bead socket dimension compare to these other rims. the 600 is a pretty stiff rim.

yes, I agree the two rims in question have radically different sidewall profiles but the 823 is just so much stiffer as well and that makes it that much tougher on the tire sidewalls around the bead area. ZTR Flows are much softer but still mange to hold air even after the sidewalls have been folded over. Also they are the easiest rims to inflate with UST tires , you can even do it with a small hand held pump most of the time. Definitely no compressor required here.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
yes, I agree the two rims in question have radically different sidewall profiles but the 823 is just so much stiffer as well and that makes it that much tougher on the tire sidewalls around the bead area. ZTR Flows are much softer but still mange to hold air even after the sidewalls have been folded over. Also they are the easiest rims to inflate with UST tires , you can even do it with a small hand held pump most of the time. Definitely no compressor required here.
agree with most of the above. i was just pointing out that stiffness might only be part of the difference here.

i've also used a hand-pump with 823 rims and hutchinson UST tires, maxxis UST, and TLR specialized Chunders. but yeah, the flows are easy to mount on.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon

Transcend DH Team
Good clarification. I'm an 823 user and that's the problem... But, that's no excuse to Maxxis for making a weak UST tire that for all intents and purposes, can only be used with 823's as it's the only true UST rim on the market...

I'm a hack and my 823's have survived a lot. I'm nervous to try anything else out there. ;)

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Good clarification. I'm an 823 user and that's the problem... But, that's no excuse to Maxxis for making a weak UST tire that for all intents and purposes, can only be used with 823's as it's the only true UST rim on the market...

I'm a hack and my 823's have survived a lot. I'm nervous to try anything else out there. ;)
Well actually the ZTR flow are also UST equivalent since no rim strip or seallant is required if you so choose. And most other UST tires we have tried from Michelin and Hutchinson etc. will also have the same problems as the Maxxis on an 823

Nov 11, 2007
norcal
Well actually the ZTR flow are also UST equivalent since no rim strip or seallant is required if you so choose.
Not to get in an argument here, but I don't see how anyone would ever consider a rim with spoke holes drilled in the rim bed a true UST equivalent. A Flow rim will obviously not hold air without the yellow tape or Gorilla tape or some equivalent. The tape IS the rim strip, ie not UST. Doesn't mean it doesn't work, just means its not UST.:)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

Im with you on the hack that wants his ust done right ;) Though some complete wheels have their own UST rims (fulcrum, cranks bros? )

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
damn, just got some UST Minions to run on my 823's for my BC trip, now I'm scared. Just had 909s this past weekend at N* and they both tore beads, the front about 200 yards into our first run. :mad:

Are there any tires that people are running tubeless on 823's without issue?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
damn, just got some UST Minions to run on my 823's for my BC trip, now I'm scared. Just had 909s this past weekend at N* and they both tore beads, the front about 200 yards into our first run. :mad:

Are there any tires that people are running tubeless on 823's without issue?
Strangly enough, I've never flatted in B.C. Even throwing my bike down every Whistler chute. You'll be fine. The tears I've had on my UST Minions have been just small enough to cause a flat, but the tire was still usable with a tube. Just bring a box of them cause I heard they're $20 in the village right now!

Standard bead 3C models won't have the tearing problem. Currently, I'm running some Continental Der Kaisers on my 823s and they're doing great. The bead on them is pretty substantial, and they mount up pretty easy for a non-UST tire.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I think the rims are the big variable. I've had great luck with my Sun/ WTB/ Azonic rims and both UST and 3C DHF's set up ghetto tubeless. No issues with air loss or burping, altho sometimes initial bead setting takes a bit of work. From everything I'm reading on UST rims, I am not feeling the extra $...

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Hoops Ive used 823s, 6.1, I9, syncros dps 32 and they have all blown out the USTs... USTs are to rubbery and elastic for me maybe its weight or what but Ive blown out alot more USTs and deformed the casings than any non UST tire set up tubeless... USTs stretch and deform when they blow out as well casuing a deformity that likes to bulge and pop off...

Last edited:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
If you are looking to run 2.7", then 3c is your only option.

The other thing to consider is how often you can replace them. I think the 42's grip better in all conditions when they are new. However, 3C knobs keep thier edge longer. Either can be run tubeless. UST air up with a floor pump easier.

I run ~26 psi with DHF's. I can feel the knobs flexxing with lower pressure. 205 pounds for reference.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
If you are looking to run 2.7", then 3c is your only option.

The other thing to consider is how often you can replace them. I think the 42's grip better in all conditions when they are new. However, 3C knobs keep thier edge longer. Either can be run tubeless. UST air up with a floor pump easier.

I run ~26 psi with DHF's. I can feel the knobs flexxing with lower pressure. 205 pounds for reference.
WOW all this time seeing your posts and chatting it up I never saw the R in the last name...
Well its still close to the legend himself..... :thumb: hell its close to santa clause as well.... Bikers and your kids alike ought to be stoked on that..;)

And yeah DH casings can be run a bit lower PSI than freeride as well as the lugs will be allowed to wiggle a bit due to casing roll..

venom600

Chimp
May 2, 2008
Bozeman
Brit,
I've run the 3C ghetto tubeless for 2 years on various rims and they've been great. Never used any UST Minions so I can't comment on them.

I did run Schwalbe UST Nobby Nics on my XM819s for about a month. Hated 'em. Kept burping badly and even peeled the rear off of the rim twice. I've been running single ply Minions (tubeless) on the XM819s all season and haven't had a single issue....other than them being to narrow. Just mounted some 2.5 EXOs on the XM819s today. We'll see how they hold up.

--Ben

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
How often do you have to add Stans?

I just changed the tires and my old tires had almost NO Stans in them anymore. This was only after 2 months of riding and 2 cups of stans.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I think that a large part of the sealant used in initial installation just coats the inside of the tire and fills in around the bead. After refreshing the sealant once you would probably would notice more liquid sealant on subsequent inspections.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
All of this is really up to where you ride and how you ride.

I have actually had better experience with the tubeless version and I have been very happy with how they wear. I am 158 lbs, run 28-30 psi (checked and adjusted before every day of riding), 823 runs and ride fairly smooth. Only need to refill Stans when the tire wears out and have even been able to run the front for long with no Stans.

Commencal-guy

Monkey
Nov 25, 2007
Massachusetts, US of A
Ive used both 3c 2.5 Minions and Tubeless versions. Both worked out flawless. However I prefer to use the Tubeless. I've had a couple of issues with the 3c folding on me quiet sometimes. I run 20 psi in the front with 25 in the rear. Weighing at 163lbs.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I have been running 823s with non UST High Rollers with 2 cups of Stan's for the last 6 months or so without any issues. They seem to hold air really well as well once I got everything seated. Maybe add back a couple psi once a week or so.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
I've been running 2.5 exo's for a month and change now, couple cups of stan's/tire, on crossmax sx's wheels....been rallying them pretty hard lately, including some park laps and they're holding up great....only had to add some air after the first day of having the rear one mounted, front I haven't had to touch...

Dawson308

Chimp
May 14, 2008
Roseville, CA
If I put 2 scoops of stans in a tire, I find that after two months most of the liquid has evaporated and there are dry chunks of latex in the tire. I try to add a scoop every two months or so.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
If I put 2 scoops of stans in a tire, I find that after two months most of the liquid has evaporated and there are dry chunks of latex in the tire. I try to add a scoop every two months or so.
Thats what I was thinking too. Thanks.

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
kntr, this is one reason people like to blend their tubeless sealant.

i find that green slime / stans mixed together lasts longer (i.e. evaporates more slowly, due to the hydroscopic glycols in the slime).

it also helps to avoid long-term storage in a really hot garage.