Quantcast

Mixing Carbon & Steel

My old race bike is a circa '88 Serrotta Colarado II w/ Campy Record 8sp ergo.

I guess this bike would almost be considered 'classic'...which makes me feel old.

My question is...would be 'appropriate' to replace the original steel fork with a carbon fork?

I know some old school hard core steel fans would say 'NEVER"!!!

I mean, this was a very nice pro level race bike in it's day....but it's no high zoot super light race machine for the new millenium either. Does it seam pointless to put something like a carbon fork on, and ruin the asthetics of the classic race bike??

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
What's the matter with the fork that's on there? Sounds like you're just looking for a way to spend money.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Well why are you changing it to Carbon? Are you just looking for a more subtle ride? Maybe go with Carbon bars first and see if that gives you what you are looking for?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I'd stick with the steel if you ever decide to ride it again... :evil:

Serotta now charges a premium for their in house steel forks and, in my opinion a steel fork has better road feel.

Thanks for all the input.

Woog - your right, I have spemt a lot $$$ on the offroad bike for years and neglected the road machine. I guess i was just looking to do something for it.

Rob - I've thought a bout the carbon bar/stem too. The whole carbon front end would be cool....and smooth as a babies butt!!

Midge - I think this is the voice of reason I heard in the bavck of my head. And....I have been riding it quite a bit latlry. We should hook up for some miles.