Quantcast

MKIII Team vs Reign

El Diablo

Chimp
Dec 10, 2006
Japan
Im gonna buy a 2nd bike for commuting, mild FR and XC.
My LBS is has a MKIII Team `06 rebuild with a 06 Marz ALL Mountain II fork. The bike is a 15" and I`m 5'9" (170 cm) and 165 lbs. (75 kg) so it feels kinda small.
Or I can order a '07 Reign (cheapest one) for the same price (roughly 1,672.63 USD) . It has a ROCKSHOX TORA 318 fork.
I heard about alot of problems with the Marz All Mountain II but the Iron Horse somes with a 5th Element which may be better than Fox Float RP3.
As for brakes I already have a set of El Caminos to put on.

Any one got any input?

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
If it feels too small it probably is! I wouldn't buy a bike that didn't fit. My friend got a Giant Reign and loves his. I do however like the looks of the new MKIII's.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Looks light it could work out for you IF it fits well...

[url=http://www.descent-world.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=95&task=view&id=536]descent-world[/url] said:
Ben Reid was of course the star of the day by pulling off the fasted time, 1.16 was what it took…albeit on his XC bike…a 5” travel Iron Horse

RideHard

Monkey
Apr 4, 2005
i rode a mkIII, i believe it was the 06 model and the stays were like butter. Honestly it had me scared for my life. However i believe they stiffened up the rear end alot since last year. My vote goes for the reign x hands down.

RD

Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Boston, MA
I'm 5'10" and have a 17" Hollowpoint built up as a nice little trail bike. The thing rips in the woods. A 15" would be a perfect slalom bike size for me. I think you'll find the 15" to be a bit of a chore on long flats or climbs.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I'm 5'11" and ride a 19" - I couldn't see myself fun anything smaller as a trail bike – would be way too short for the long epic days out on the trail. I like TT on the longer side so I can run a short stem. I love that bike to death...

But if I was to build a DS type ride, I would probably go with a 17. The 15" is minuscule ;)

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
The MKIII Team and Reign are to different bikes. Correct me if I am wrong but the MKIII has around 4.5” of travel when the Reign has over 6”. If you are looking for a 4.5” you need to compare it with the Giant Trance. I love my Trance!!!! It is the best All Mountain bike I have ever had. I put it to the test every weekend and it keeps asking for more. Both IH and Giant make great bikes, so you can’t go wrong with ether.

Good luck,