Quantcast

Moab Questions

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
All the recent Moab posts and reports have convinced me that I finally need to go. (I know, should have happened long ago.) I am thinking of driving out for the last week of May and doing a combo of camping/hotel lodging, with at least three solid days of riding and also some QT with my non-riding girlie.

How's the weather at the end of May?

Tips on good campgrounds? Places to stay that aren't too pricey? Rustic is good, crappy motels are not.

I think I've got good ideas on where to ride but feel free chime in with your thoughts and things to do.

Thanks ya'll.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would camp on Sand Flats road, a couple miles up from Slick Rock. Extremely nice up there, although there are a lot of campsites nearby.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
We stayed at the Big Horn Lodge - it seemed reasonable and the rooms have a frig and microwave.

For rides - there are soooo many. Amasa/Jackson's, Porcupine, Sovereign were great.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Craploads of camping - on the river, up on Sandflats, out by Tusher Canyon. You know - camping in Arches Nat'l Park would probably be cool, too.

Weather is a crapshoot, but end of May should be nice. Might be a bit on the warm side during midday.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Camping in Arches is cool but it takes a while to get back into town (two lane road, lots of tourons sightseeing).

Do not stay at Arch View Campgrounds and RV park.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If you want to go high budget, I recommend the Gonzo Inn. It was about $100 a night, but I just got back from riding the Kokopelli Trail unsupported, and I felt like I earned a little luxury.

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
OGRipper said:

Tips on good campgrounds? Places to stay that aren't too pricey? Rustic is good, crappy motels are not.

I think I've got good ideas on where to ride but feel free chime in with your thoughts and things to do.

Thanks ya'll.
That is when it's just starting to hit triple digit temperatures, not a good time to go to Moab unless you like riding 5AM-10AM.

Hotel Off-Center is rustic. Camping in late MAy and early June can suck because of cowflies. They bite.

Go somewhere else like Durango.

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
Meh...I road that place in August. Just be sure to drink lots of water. We drank about a gallon and a half of water per person, per day. That's a conservative estimate and doesn't count the rides. Utilize every piece of shade you can find for a quick cool down.

Lots of camping around town. I camped near Lions Rock for a few nights. A squall blew through and for about 30 minutes there were waterfalls all around me. Then the sun came back out and all the water disappeared into the sand. Pretty cool. Go for a walk at night with a flashlight and you get to see all the critters that hide during the day, big wolf spiders, toads, and big beetles.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
We went early may last year and weather was perfect. just drink lots of water and don't forget your sunblock.

Camping is cool and cheap ($8) in the Sandflat... Campground are lettered A to H (I think) The better ones are farter away F to H

For trail definatly do Porcupine and upper Porcupine, Amasa Back is fun but out and back, Sovereign is fun singletrack (which is rare in Moab).
Slickrock is different, good to do at least once in a lifetime.

I heard good things about Bartlett Wash and the trails in the LaSale Mountains.

If you drive an extra hour to the northeast you can hit Fruita for a couple of days. Kokopelli section is all fun so are the Bookcliffs. Their is also Rabbit Valley which is a bit closer to Moab, there you got Western Rim and Zion Curtain that are cool, and many more.

In Fruita their is 2 State parks, and free camping in the Bookcliffs and Rabbit Valley.

Hope that helps!

J.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Jozz said:
I heard good things about Bartlett Wash and the trails in the La Sal Mountains.
og, if you do go, definitely hit these...if you want to do the classics, i would advise for porc rim and amasa back (although i didn't do portal or poison spider).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Again, thanks everyone. This chance is not gonna come along again for a while and I'm pretty sure I'm am going. After seeing the recent pics here I am stoked for Porc Rim, have also heard lots of great things about Amasa, so those two are up there. Will probably also do slickrock because it's on my list of things to do before I ride off into the sunset...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
You WILL roast at the end of May. Mid-90s to 100s between 10AM-5PM. March-April and Sept-October are the prime times for Moab.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
chicodude said:
You WILL roast at the end of May. Mid-90s to 100s between 10AM-5PM. March-April and Sept-October are the prime times for Moab.
Mid 90's are easily tolerable in the desert.

I've been in Moab a couple times when the temps were hovering in the high 90's during the day. You just don't ride from ~11am-4pm. Luckily, the days are really long.

For reference: http://www.moab-utah.com/rack/climate.html

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
SkaredShtles said:
Mid 90's are easily tolerable in the desert.

I've been in Moab a couple times when the temps were hovering in the high 90's during the day. You just don't ride from ~11am-4pm. Luckily, the days are really long.

For reference: http://www.moab-utah.com/rack/climate.html
True. Get an AC hotel room, a gimp suit, some toys, and you and the girlie are set for the days.

Old man, do you know when Silverton is usually clear?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
MisterClean said:
That is when it's just starting to hit triple digit temperatures, not a good time to go to Moab unless you like riding 5AM-10AM.

Go somewhere else like Durango.

pssshhhh please. Any time is a good time to go to moab. We always go at the end of june.

Just be up early, ride early, and then chill out during the hot hours. there's tons to do besides riding. I love driving up in the mountains.

I would also recommend hitting up fruita if you have the time. We've only been once and I am dying to get back. We stayed at monument ntl. forrest for like 6 bucks a night and its gorgeous.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
personally, i'd rather ride Durango than Moab, regardless of time of year.

high alpine singletrack beats hot desert doubletrack every single time.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
As far as Moab camping goes: I found camping in the various canyon sites off of Kane Creek rd. much nicer than the stuff on Sand Flats rd.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
narlus said:
personally, i'd rather ride Durango than Moab, regardless of time of year.

That's why I prefer Fruita to Moab... but still, any serious mountain biker must at least go once!

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
laura said:
pssshhhh please. Any time is a good time to go to moab. We always go at the end of june.

Just be up early, ride early, and then chill out during the hot hours. there's tons to do besides riding. I love driving up in the mountains.

I would also recommend hitting up fruita if you have the time. We've only been once and I am dying to get back. We stayed at monument ntl. forrest for like 6 bucks a night and its gorgeous.
You know, you're right. It's obvious that you are well-versed in the Four Corners area and know exactly what you are talking about. I really don't know that much about it, especially Moab and Fruita. Please, tell us more about this Monument National Forest. I can't seem to find it in Google.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
narlus said:
You haven't ridden the "right" Moab then.

There's miles and miles of very tech singletrack. It's just a matter of hooking up with the right local(s).

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
justsomeguy said:
You haven't ridden the "right" Moab then.

There's miles and miles of very tech singletrack. It's just a matter of hooking up with the right local(s).
yeah, i know hfly has the goods but i wasn't dissatisfied w/ what we did ride (at least we got the chance to do burro down before it was closed). that said, my personal preference is for aspen-lined, windy singletrack.

in a hypothetical situation where i could choose one last ride, then never ride offroad again in my life, moab/sedona/etc wouldn't even make the top 10 choices list...it would probably be the Hall/Pinkerton-Flagstaff/Dutch Creek loop in Durango, or the Coal Bank/Molas Pass ride...

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
OGR -

you have to stay here:
http://canyonlandsrv.com/

They have tent camping, RV spots and small cabins with cold AC for CHEAP! Clean bath houses and this place is right in the middle of downtown Moab - talk to dinner or go for an urban ride. Thick trees for plenty of shade and a pool.

My two trips i have stayed here!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
chicodude said:
Uhh, are you sure about March through April? We were there last May and found a little snow at the top of LPS. Granted the weather everywhere else, including the rest of Porc was perfect, but still.

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
Jozz said:
but still, any serious mountain biker must at least go once!
Just what is a "serious" mountain biker, one who never smiles? Does a serious mountain biker not exchange pleasantries on the trail because they are so intent on being such a serious mountain biker?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Bump diggity bump.

So this is probably going to happen. I've got lots of good ride ideas and an optional place to stay, hope to do some camping but a lot of it seems reserved. I will bring lots of water and ride in the morning or evening.

Is there anything worth stopping for between SF and Moab (other than Tahoe)? We may drive straight on through but I like to explore off the path and we could be into a stopover for something unique. It looks nothing but a big void until you get to Salt Lake...?

And, any more specific camp recommendations?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
OGRipper said:
Bump diggity bump.

So this is probably going to happen. I've got lots of good ride ideas and an optional place to stay, hope to do some camping but a lot of it seems reserved. I will bring lots of water and ride in the morning or evening.

Is there anything worth stopping for between SF and Moab (other than Tahoe)? We may drive straight on through but I like to explore off the path and we could be into a stopover for something unique. It looks nothing but a big void until you get to Salt Lake...?

And, any more specific camp recommendations?
There is a big void between Reno and Salt Lake City. There is even one town that brags about being the armpit of America (Battle Mountain).

When you make it Wendover, you will feel like you have crossed the desert for 40 days.

I drove it during the day and at night, and I recommend the night.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Wish I wasn't traveling so much with work lately, I'd go with you.

IF for some reason this doesn't happen, I want to do a trip down there this fall.

As far as tahoe....don't bother. We just got another 3 feet of snow at elevation this weekend. For the first time since I've lived here, I'm planning on more skiing than biking in spring/early summer.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
MisterClean said:
You know, you're right. It's obvious that you are well-versed in the Four Corners area and know exactly what you are talking about. I really don't know that much about it, especially Moab and Fruita. Please, tell us more about this Monument National Forest. I can't seem to find it in Google.

typo, colorado national monument.

i've been warned about you and you can add me to the list of people who doesn't appreciate your smart-assed-ness.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
kidwoo said:
Wish I wasn't traveling so much with work lately, I'd go with you.

IF for some reason this doesn't happen, I want to do a trip down there this fall.

As far as tahoe....don't bother. We just got another 3 feet of snow at elevation this weekend. For the first time since I've lived here, I'm planning on more skiing than biking in spring/early summer.
Pretty sure it's gonna happen but if not will keep it mind for the fall...I really need a break, want to drive not fly, it's too early for BC/Whizzler, and I've never been to Moab despite hearing about it for like 20 years as a must do...

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
OGRipper said:
Driving SF to SLC to Moab and SF to Vegas to Moab is about the same travel time.

Going the Southern route you could hit Gooseberry on your way.

If you don't want to go that route, I would recommend HWY 50 instead of the 80 to SLC route. It's crazy empty (Loneliest Road in America) but beautiful in it's own way. Another cool option would be to turn off of 50 just outside of Ely and take UT 21 that skirts Big Basin National Park. Very scenic and it dumps you out on 15 in Beaver, UT.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
mtbtom said:
North Umpqua Trail, Roseburg, Oregon. It's the McKenzie River Trail on streroids.

Agreed! Add the Middle Fork of the Williamette trail to that list as well. Both long and wonderful.

Sigh. Its been far too long since I've ridden any of these. Next time I'm visiting the fam, I've *got* to bring a bike.

To OGRipper: go. drink lots of water. ride as early as you can. sodium and potassium are your friends. camp higher up off sand flats, or in a shadier spot down by the river. a cheap tarp erected as a sundhade when hanging around camp can do wonders up there. sun showers are good things too, if you aren't paying for a shower in town.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
OGRipper said:
All the recent Moab posts and reports have convinced me that I finally need to go. (I know, should have happened long ago.) I am thinking of driving out for the last week of May and doing a combo of camping/hotel lodging, with at least three solid days of riding and also some QT with my non-riding girlie.

Thanks ya'll.
I just posted yet another Moab Trip report.

Camp in a Motel/hotel at the end of May. It will be hot. The mid-days are best spent in a pool or something.

Forget Sand Flats campground. Its a neat place, but super hot, and very hard to find quality camping. You'll have traffic driving through there all the time keeping you awake. Stay on Sand Flats Road, go up to the Juniper Campground (higher elevation, cooler, quieter, more comfy). Very near the Porc Rim TH.

As for things to do: Go do: Porcupine Rim (shuttled). Soveriegn (If its not too hot).

Don't miss: Amassa Back, Bartlett wash. The Wash is the coolest rock you'll ever ride.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
justsomeguy said:
Driving SF to SLC to Moab and SF to Vegas to Moab is about the same travel time.

Going the Southern route you could hit Gooseberry on your way.

If you don't want to go that route, I would recommend HWY 50 instead of the 80 to SLC route. It's crazy empty (Loneliest Road in America) but beautiful in it's own way. Another cool option would be to turn off of 50 just outside of Ely and take UT 21 that skirts Big Basin National Park. Very scenic and it dumps you out on 15 in Beaver, UT.
Ok good stuff to think about, thanks, I will check it out.