Quantcast

Moab

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
Any of you monkies been there? How is the riding in mid-March? Worth a 15 hour drive? Just looking for any info or pics you would like to share?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think mid-march is the beginning of the season, so not as many people, still cold, so bring layers. I've only been in May and October.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
Yeah we were in Fruita last year at the same time and it was fantastic. Got up to 70. Look were I'm from, if its 40 we are in t-shirts and shorts for the ride.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
was in moab last year in mid march, warm days cold nights. no problem camping with a sleeping bag. ride porcupine rim. and then do it again. That trail kicks ass. worth a 15 hour drive? ours is 18 and i can't wait

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i've been to moab twice to ride and a couple of times when i was younger and not into riding and i absolutely love it. its one of the few places i've been that i miss almost the whole time i'm not there. we always go in damn june and its hot and we almost die.

its worth a 48 hour drive if you ask me.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Almost went out there Friday night. Local friend out there says Sovereign is dry, as is Bartlett Wash & Amassa Back.

So worth the drive!!!! Get out there!!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
We drove from Pittsburgh PA to Moab straight 30hrs, it was totally worth the drive...As far as the time of year goes i am wondering the same thing at this point...I will be going out April 1 to watch a fellow monkey (palilla) run the marathon and ride :thumb:...

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Froooota. Moab's been overrun with retards in large automobiles and ATVs. There used to be some good riding there, but much has been destroyed.

You could keep going down to St. George...killer riding down there on par with Moab, and not as much white trash to deal with.

Edit:

Just check the weather forecast. Midmarch the only thing you should watch out for is rain.

RideND

Monkey
Nov 1, 2003
Mandan, ND
We did Fruita last year. It was a frickin blast but would like to do something new this time. We would probably do the PacNW but since its March it would be too rainy and cold up there. Also, we aren't gonna bike everyday so to see Arches and the Canyonlands would be cool. Fruita might definitly be a stop on the way home though.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
blue said:
Froooota. Moab's been overrun with retards in large automobiles and ATVs. There used to be some good riding there, but much has been destroyed.
I can't think of one of the "popular" touron routes that's been destroyed by autos or ATVs. The Amasa climb was torn up for utility access but wasn't destroyed, just changed.

I've found the best riding happens when you hook up with a friendly, knowledgable local and ride stuff that isn't ina ny of the guide books or on any of the maps...

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
justsomeguy said:
I can't think of one of the "popular" touron routes that's been destroyed by autos or ATVs. The Amasa climb was torn up for utility access but wasn't destroyed, just changed.

I've found the best riding happens when you hook up with a friendly, knowledgable local and ride stuff that isn't ina ny of the guide books or on any of the maps...

agreed. i'm a fairly recent devotee of this particular form of trail exploration.

it also helps if you buy them beer.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Oh come now, Moab's a 45 min drive to the CO border...you know...where the suds flow freely.

It's true that the hicks have been there longer, but many of the trails constructed by and for mtb use in the past 2 decades have been overrun and significantly altered/destroyed. Don't get me wrong, I still think it's a cool place to ride, but Fruita's schwingier and in the same relative location, hence my suggestion to someone coming in from far away. But, if you've already been to Fruita, perhaps Moab is in the cards for you. I'm telling you mang, St. George...some killer **** down there. Plus, it's warmer than moab :p

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
blue said:
Oh come now, Moab's a 45 min drive to the CO border...you know...where the suds flow freely.

It's true that the hicks have been there longer, but many of the trails constructed by and for mtb use in the past 2 decades have been overrun and significantly altered/destroyed.
What trails specifically are you talking about? :think: