Quantcast

($) Moan derp GMT ($)

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Combination of factors. To start off with, this is my bike:

Those are 29" x 2" tires. they're massive. finding fenders for full-size 29" tires was a bit of a challenge. It also has bolt-in sliding dropouts, with no eyelets. I also have a rack. It is a specific rack that must be mounted in a specific location, because the kid seat slides on and attaches to it, and it has to be level. I had to drill out the rack holes, and attach it to the dropouts using extended bolts. So the rack is sitting low, preventing proper clearance for the fender. I had to unbend, and rebend the struts that attach the fender to seat stays, and then use tin snips to modify the fender so it would fit under the rack. Once that rack comes off next year, everything will be much more simple. But this year was a pain in the ass.
I feel your pain.

I'm running similar tires (700c x 47 mm, close enough) and the Planet Bike Cascadia ALX 29" x 65 mm fenders I snagged fit over them quite nicely. I did have to tin snip them to fit in the fork and seatstays and engage in fender stay-bending and spacing out antics to get it to play nicely with my rear rack. I ended up with the fender stays on the inboard of the right side of the rack, and outboard of the left side of the rack with a 25 mm spacer. At least I had separate rack and fender eyelets!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Oh, so pithy.

I will admit that I am giddy as a school girl this morning though.
not trying to be pithy....just trying to let you down easy.

you should never have faith in people you vote for.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Rough night. Went to bed late, had to get up early, weather kept waking me up all night. Must be the "as f..." season - windy as fcuk last night, humid as fcuk today.

Is it Friday, yet?
exquisite, what events have transpired recently to warrant a monocle?

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Test packed kayak this weekend for my trip next week. All gear fits with room to spare. Had a flat from my ride Thursday that was being a pain in the ass. Seems the stem came loose and air was leaking from there.
Car window is fixed, now it just needs to be retinted, all covered under insurance.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Still technically Morning Monkeys.

Friday was a sh!tshow. Car wouldn't start when I left the chiropractor and things got worse from there. Ended up blowing the day and tried to enjoy what I could of the nice weather as that too with me a sh!tshow soon.

Beautiful day today, but damn cold and the wind kicking through the buildings downtown make it interesting.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
So.... there is apparently a website dedicated to a bridge in Durham NC that likes to smash trucks......

http://11foot8.com/

It's just a ton of video of trucks getting destroyed by this bridge :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I've seen that in a compilation somewhere else before. Your linked video also seems to show that the trucks like blowing through a red light before destroying themselves.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
there’s a warning ... they ignore it. there’s one somewhere with the bridge having eyes and teeth drawn in...there’s one in charlottesville at the corner like that... @Westy , amirite?

started today’s ride in 33*, 15-20 mph winds, and a dusting of snow on the ground. trail system is ok...lots of long switchbacks with rolling grade reversals. despite frequent rockiness, full on imba-approved. the downs were not worth the climb. the snow and ice on the ladder bridges, skinnies, and some of the rock drops up top definitely added to the pucker factor. it had warmed up to 42 by nokn when we finished. fun, but not worth the drive unless you’re already up there, imho. would rather ride north wilkesboro trails.
beers and giant “boats” of mexican at coyote cafe in boone after. home to pick up kids by 5. notbad.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
there’s a warning ... they ignore it. there’s one somewhere with the bridge having eyes and teeth drawn in...there’s one in charlottesville at the corner like that... @Westy , amirite?

started today’s ride in 33*, 15-20 mph winds, and a dusting of snow on the ground. trail system is ok...lots of long switchbacks with rolling grade reversals. despite frequent rockiness, full on imba-approved. the downs were not worth the climb. the snow and ice on the ladder bridges, skinnies, and some of the rock drops up top definitely added to the pucker factor. it had warmed up to 42 by nokn when we finished. fun, but not worth the drive unless you’re already up there, imho. would rather ride north wilkesboro trails.
beers and giant “boats” of mexican at coyote cafe in boone after. home to pick up kids by 5. notbad.

There are a few low hangers in that town. Some jackass towing an excavator ran into the rte 29/250 overpass a while ago.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
1/8" of ice over everything outside. Should be even more interesting in the morning with the few inches of forecast snow on top.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
Impressions?
It was a super fun bike both in the trail mode and in the gravity mode! Fit wise it was right on for a monkey my size.

I rode it back to back with a Pivot Mach 6 and I liked the Megatrail better. Especially considering the price points. The Mega trail was more stable on the descents and as far as I could tell they got up the hill about equally (I just grind and sweat my way to the top so I'm not a good judge of climbing ability). Interestingly the medium Megatrail was very similar fit wise to the large Mach 6.

I did have a few pedal strikes in gravity mode but no more than I've had on similar bikes that I've demoed recently (Mojo HD, Mach 6, Insurgent).

Gonna demo the SB66 and the Bromad soon so it'll be interesting to compare.

:headbang::rockout::headbang::rockout::headbang::rockout:

PS I'm a fan of the fact that it's not carbon. I didn't notice the weight penalty on the trail and I hate having to baby my gear so nice beefy alu stays make me feel good.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
RKP used to be moar fun a couple years ago. They did some reworking and smoothed out a lot of sections to make it more beginner friendly. The PBJ trail turned into an A-line wana be which to me isn't that much fun as I'm not much of a jumper.

However there is a new trail from the top being built and it ain't no joke, serious DH. There is a steep rock face roll down that has steps in it. And to be perfectly honest I don't see how my trail bike would make it without hanging up on one of the steps.

For me RKP is only an 1:15 drive and I look at it as a fun way to get in shape since it takea almost an hour to get to the top. Not all climbing, but mostly. And a Burrito from Black Cat makes it a sound choice.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
new silky came yesterday...i will be moar gentler on the push...

RKP used to be moar fun a couple years ago. They did some reworking and smoothed out a lot of sections to make it more beginner friendly. The PBJ trail turned into an A-line wana be which to me isn't that much fun as I'm not much of a jumper.

However there is a new trail from the top being built and it ain't no joke, serious DH. There is a steep rock face roll down that has steps in it. And to be perfectly honest I don't see how my trail bike would make it without hanging up on one of the steps.

For me RKP is only an 1:15 drive and I look at it as a fun way to get in shape since it takea almost an hour to get to the top. Not all climbing, but mostly. And a Burrito from Black Cat makes it a sound choice.
saw a buddy’s note about the new trail after we’d finished...i feel like they left a lot on the table up there re: use of terrain. north wilkes trails are closer to you...much better, imo. wilson’s is as close for me. i’ll take it every time. feeling the need to explore a bit up around the gorge in the next few rides...will report back.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
new silky came yesterday...i will be moar gentler on the push...

saw a buddy’s note about the new trail after we’d finished...i feel like they left a lot on the table up there re: use of terrain. north wilkes trails are closer to you...much better, imo. wilson’s is as close for me. i’ll take it every time. feeling the need to explore a bit up around the gorge in the next few rides...will report back.
Go makes some practice cuts to get the feel for it.

I like Warrior Creek and OVT just fine, but there are no Rhodos. Night riding on OVT, where it runs along the lake, is a trip because at night it's just pure black beyond the trees no matter how bright your lights are.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Go makes some practice cuts to get the feel for it.

I like Warrior Creek and OVT just fine, but there are no Rhodos. Night riding on OVT, where it runs along the lake, is a trip because at night it's just pure black beyond the trees no matter how bright your lights are.
Only rode warrior creek once. A little too mini-golf like and engineered. Liked Dark Mountain, a little more variety.