Quantcast

MOJO uk.

Hydraulicman

Monkey
Sep 25, 2001
Belgium
davep said:
By a low speed comp adjuster ($50) for you 888. If you set it up correctly, your problems will go away. If you want you can even get fancy and make custom mods to it to give you smaller adjustments. Works like a charm. BTW check the spring rates af a 888 vs other 8 in forks out there, they are very soft. This also has a lot to do with them riding 'too low' in their travel and is another simple fix. For example, the stock fox 40 spring is 40 lb/in and most people find it too soft..the stock 888 springs combine for a total of about 35.76 lb/in.
So if you buy the low speed comp adjuster. the compression adjuster will actually work, because I don't really notice any difference between the compression adjustments?

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Figuring tagging onto an existing thread as opposed to starting another, I have a few questions to get my 888RC dialed.

1: what oil are you cats using? I'm interested in Motorex as its readily available and fairly cheap

2: possible to mix said motorex with what is in there (spectro>?)

3: I'm thinking of doing 1 X-firm, 1 firm spring, mix a little 5 with more 7.5 and put it 185 from top. Can any of you see any problems with this?

4: Instead of buying the compression sleave, why not just cap the holes? I'm a machinist /tool and die apprentice by trade so I can do a perfect job so any of you see why I HAVE to have that adjustable sleave?

thanks, I'm looking forward to getting this dialed.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
atrokz said:
Figuring tagging onto an existing thread as opposed to starting another, I have a few questions to get my 888RC dialed.

1: what oil are you cats using? I'm interested in Motorex as its readily available and fairly cheap

2: possible to mix said motorex with what is in there (spectro>?)

3: I'm thinking of doing 1 X-firm, 1 firm spring, mix a little 5 with more 7.5 and put it 185 from top. Can any of you see any problems with this?

4: Instead of buying the compression sleave, why not just cap the holes? I'm a machinist /tool and die apprentice by trade so I can do a perfect job so any of you see why I HAVE to have that adjustable sleave?

thanks, I'm looking forward to getting this dialed.

I am running Torco (synthetic) in my fork at the moment but any good brand should be OK. Check the local moto shop the prices are much better than bike shops for this kind of thing (i pay 8-10$ US a quart). Mixing should be OK as well I am sure the mfg would tell you not to but i cant see them putting something in there that would cause a problem as there is always a little old oil left when you do a change. I run 210 cc's of oil (i think) as i have not found a 'from the top' measurement like older marz forks.

The fork springs come in soft (2.7 kg/cm), stock (3.2 kg/cm), and firm (3.5 kg/cm) or roughly 30, 36, and 39 pounds per inch as a set. If you mix them you will end up with a value in the middle of the two mixed. One stock and one firm = 37.5 lb/in etc. This is what i run and i am ~190lbs

You could make a comp adjuster out of many things, even some heat shrink tubing or pvc, the only thing that needs to be done if you make your own, is some way to keep it lined up with the holes (prevent it from turning). I actually modded mine to be in between two of the factory settings and have the secondary damping come on a little earlier and a little less abrupt.

BTW the gold comp knob really only adjusts the secondary damping, after the piston passes the last open hole in the cart.

SPDR

Monkey
Apr 21, 2006
Engerland
JiveFoolSucka said:
It is a little odd, giving up on these adjustments that you sometimes pay for. The single adjuster on these upgrades really does cover the range for most riders, there are always going to be a few riders that will not prefer a product due to the lack of adjustability for them. The idea is that these upgrades are a great product for a large number of people.
The only problem may be that Mojo are a little bit prescriptive about the way they see suspension working. It might be that the way they have coupled might be comp and rebound aren't what you would set it to yourself.

Also has anyone thought what turning a wet fork into a mostly dry fork might do to the bushes?

Jan 18, 2006
I agree with you on Mojo's outlook on suspension, they have certainly covered the spectrum for a few of us on the east coast. If you have the chance to ride on one, take it for a spin. As far as it being a "dry fork" there is about 40cc of oil that gets placed into both legs which offers lubrication for the seals and spring assembly. It seems to work fine so far.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
this isn't that related but, I can't seem to dial my boxxer world cup 05 down, I've been told 2.5 w oil on the rebound and 5 on the compresion, I weigh around 150lbs, and have a soft spring plus the normal stock ti spring on ti, how the hell do I get it to feel more plush with out having to purchase some fancy little spring kit or what ever, thanks!!

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
karpi said:
this isn't that related but, I can't seem to dial my boxxer world cup 05 down, I've been told 2.5 w oil on the rebound and 5 on the compresion, I weigh around 150lbs, and have a soft spring plus the normal stock ti spring on ti, how the hell do I get it to feel more plush with out having to purchase some fancy little spring kit or what ever, thanks!!

i already told you this but ill post it anyway in case it someone sees it,
if your fork is already broken in, and is workin on good, clean oil, then it shouldnt give anyone real reason to complain, i suggest you take it to a good wrench and have him go over the structure to see if anything is tweaked, and also go over the dampers maybe they have been contaminated with parts of rubber from the bottom out bumpers.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
klunky said:
What Mojo say about stock 888s
While I agree about the lack of LSC, they're full of it in regards to rebound. All viscous damping is speed sensitive.

I also agree with what Vitox said - there isn't one correct compression setting for each rebound setting, nor do I believe there is any reasonable way to set up both simultaneously and accurately using only a single needle adjuster. Full. Of. Sh.t