Quantcast

"Mom, now we really are equal."

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
This morning on NPR, a black woman called into Talk of the Nation to share an anecdote. Last night watching the election results with her 12yo daughter, her daughter turned to her and said "Mom, now we really are equal." She cried when she realized that it did not matter how many times she as a mother passed that message to her daughter, when the world outside her home did not reflect her words as a reality.

I've been trying and failing to articulate why the 95% support from the black population for Obama does not constitute racism, even though it is clearly because they share a skin color. It is not racism because it is not about racial superiority, but comes from a legitimate point of view that achieving racial equality is a priority. As legitimate a priority, if not moreso, than any number of domestic issues from stabilizing the economy to reproductive rights. The symbolism alone of Obama's presidency accomplishes more for racial equality in the form of the dreams, aspirations, and expectations for children of color than any single event since Loving v. Virginia and stands in stark contrast to the world of yesterday where words about equality conflicted with a reality where success for black youths looked like MTV or the NBA.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've been trying and failing to articulate why the 95% support from the black population for Obama does not constitute racism, even though it is clearly because they share a skin color. It is not racism because it is not about racial superiority, but comes from a legitimate point of view that achieving racial equality is a priority. As legitimate a priority, if not moreso, than any number of domestic issues from stabilizing the economy to reproductive rights. The symbolism alone of Obama's presidency accomplishes more for racial equality in the form of the dreams, aspirations, and expectations for children of color than any single event since Loving v. Virginia and stands in stark contrast to the world of yesterday where words about equality conflicted with a reality where success for black youths looked like MTV or the NBA.

Pretty much sums it up just fine for me. Keep in mind that if it really were ALL about race, Jesse Jackson would have been in more contention not too long ago. The fact of the matter is there was a more qualified candidate, who happened to have some african blood. "This one™" was someone 95% said they could get behind. His skin color isn't the only reason. I really do see the support as a vote for a candidate more than a vote against whitey (which is where I would see the racism tag come in). This is a black man that the black population as a whole can be proud of. Al sharpton.......not so much.

Some of the feminist gripes about palin come to mind. Yeah she's a chick but so what. She represents no progress. Obama does.

But I'm seeing the first black president in my lifetime. Growing up in the south, I honestly would have never believed it 10 years ago. Now I'm greedy and just hope I see these kind of conversations disappear and become irrelevant before I die.

just my whitey 2 cents

Last edited:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
so much for emphasizing the content of his character.

tell me: how did jesse do in '88? and he's twice as black as barack.

if you're suggesting (you are, trust me) that voting for someone due to their skin color isn't racism, and is about achieving equality, tell me how that's worked out in various mayoral elections.

i know you're having a moment here, but don't suspend reality

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I've been trying and failing to articulate why the 95% support from the black population for Obama does not constitute racism, even though it is clearly because they share a skin color. It is not racism because it is not about racial superiority, but comes from a legitimate point of view that achieving racial equality is a priority.
You have to go back to the definition of racism:
1 : a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race
2 : racial prejudice or discrimination
I heard a story that more than 90% of blacks voted for Obama, and 3% for McCain. I was shocked that a number as high as 3% voted for McCain.

Is the primary reason why blacks voted for Obama because of his skin color? Sure, and this reason is as stupid as that he is young, athletic or handsome.

But what is the difference between a black person voting for a black candidate and a white person voting for a white candidate?

Blacks believe that a black candidate will represent their interests best since have very little representation in government.

Well, what is the difference when whites think a white person will serve their interests best? Strictly based on skin color, they have plenty of representation to begin with: I believe with the exception of Obama, every Senator and Governor is white. Majority of the US Representatives are white as well.

But beyond skin color, minorities, which I am one, have issues that the majority, white people, do not have. I can be discriminated against with legislation designed to help the many by ignoring or hurting the few.

Will a white candidate protect the interest of the majority? If you could prove that helping the minority hurts the majority, then yes, but that is a specious argument at best.

A minority candidate will understand my needs better, and I believe Obama can help all of us with hurting the fewest.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
if you're suggesting (you are, trust me) that voting for someone due to their skin color isn't racism, and is about achieving equality, tell me how that's worked out in various mayoral elections.
There's a not so insignificant part of me that voted for obama because he's black. It's my little way of saying 'fvck you' to the environment I grew up in.

You can call it whatever the hell you want but jesse jackson would not have gotten my vote. You see the difference? Because it's there. This is a candidate who best represents competency. If it's ALSO a chance to make that step for achieving equality, even symbolically, then that's a bonus. A bonus that motivated a large number of people to get up and do something, including me to some degree. Does that make me racist? What's the inverse of an oreo?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, I saw the hottest black chick dancing with a buddy last night. I wanted to walk up to her and say "Fvck me".

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
BTW, I saw the hottest black chick dancing with a buddy last night. I wanted to walk up to her and say "Fvck me".
why? b/c black chicks are promiscuous? or that they have low self-esteem?

(see? i can play angry black male, too!)

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
so much for emphasizing the content of his character.

tell me: how did jesse do in '88? and he's twice as black as barack.
But Jesse Jackson WASN'T the equal or superior to his opponents. His dominant issue or characteristic WAS race.

Obama is symbolic (and was successful) because he demonstrated equality (or more) specifically from the content of his character and his stance on issues that had nothing to do with race. In that sense he transcended race, which achieved more for equality than a Jesse Jackson ever could.

Behind the comment of "now we really are equal" isn't the simple truth that a black man is president. It is the truth that coincidentally, the man who won the presidency, overwhelmingly and from an electorate that is 40% white and 85% non-black, happens to be black.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
But Jesse Jackson WASN'T the equal or superior to his opponents. His dominant issue or characteristic WAS race.

Obama is symbolic (and was successful) because he demonstrated equality (or more) specifically from the content of his character and his stance on issues that had nothing to do with race. In that sense he transcended race, which achieved more for equality than a Jesse Jackson ever could.

Behind the comment of "now we really are equal" isn't the simple truth that a black man is president. It is the truth that coincidentally, the man who won the presidency, overwhelmingly and from an electorate that is 40% white and 85% non-black, happens to be black.
How come when you and I say the same thing, you do it gooderer?

Friggin northeastern elites.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Why say you this?
Why not 08? or 2016? Or the interim years?
2012 is the next presidential election. :banghead:

The ball is rolling now.....less apathy will bring more vote out....Obama's team is talking about the "permanent campaign" idea also...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF

Wha?

Where did you get those numbers? 40% white and 85% non-black = 125%.

Are you talking about Hispanics that identify themselves as white?

The United States is still a majority white country dude.

And Jesse Jackson wasn't that great of a Presidential candidate.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
2012 is the next presidential election. :banghead:...
You really didn't understand my question. Don't hurt yourself.

The ball is rolling now.....less apathy will bring more vote out....Obama's team is talking about the "permanent campaign" idea also...
That's a little better but why not see this as a potential for complacency? Listen to all the people now saying racism is dead.

Why wasn't the ball rolling this time in the way you see it happening in four years? This was MORE important than an incumbency in my mind.

I just don't see the implication you made. That's all I was asking. You might be right.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
true; he's much more about class than race
i think your numbers are off: http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/voting/cps2006.html

voting age non-hispanic whites are only barely a minority, and tend to be registered to vote in far higher numbers than any other demographic. i believe non-hispanic whites accounted for over half of ballots cast. i don't believe blacks voted in the same portion as whites (believe to be almost 70%) either.

for the sake of the black community, i hope this dispels the myth in their community that voting is insignificant. there's a lot of conservatives to be woken up.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
No. Hispanics and asians and native americans, and europeans etc who identify themselves nonblack.
That's the 85%

Whitey (40%) is part of that 85%
Oh, man. The day has come: A white person corrects my math.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
This morning on NPR, a black woman called into Talk of the Nation to share an anecdote. Last night watching the election results with her 12yo daughter, her daughter turned to her and said "Mom, now we really are equal." She cried when she realized that it did not matter how many times she as a mother passed that message to her daughter, when the world outside her home did not reflect her words as a reality.

amen my liberal brother. although i may not agree with some of his policies, i am excited to see that the generational racism is beginning to dissolve.

i was, however, disappointed this week after a passing conversation i had with a young african american man at a restaurant. i was leaving the restaurant as this young man was entering. i politely held the door open for him and nodded for him to "go ahead." he grudgingly entered through the door and said, "you better get used to this 'cause after november 4th, you folks will be opening a lot of doors for us."
i was too stunned to reply and just walked on. a gentle "f-u whitey" would have sufficed. :disgust1:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i was, however, disappointed this week after a passing conversation i had with a young african american man at a restaurant. i was leaving the restaurant as this young man was entering. i politely held the door open for him and nodded for him to "go ahead." he grudgingly entered through the door and said, "you better get used to this 'cause after november 4th, you folks will be opening a lot of doors for us."
Okay be honest. Did it really happen like that? No joking, smiles or just plain messin?

Cuz if I was black, that's the kind of thing I would say just for fun.

If it really did happen like that, (and I used to live in atlanta and have seen similar), then you should have said "don't think so, you're not smart enough to be the president, I don't care how much you all look alike"

Cuz that would have been fun too.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
To say race wasn't a factor in this election is naive at best. It was for some so therefore was an issue, even at the smallest level. The historical significance is impossible to ignore, nor should it be. There will be those that harbor racist and bigot tendencies, but the fact of the matter remains that he is the President of the United States, representing every one of us. I'm sure some blacks voted for him simply because he was a black man, but in reality, how is that different than voting for someone just because they're a Republican or Democrat?

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
Okay be honest. Did it really happen like that? No joking, smiles or just plain messin?

Cuz if I was black, that's the kind of thing I would say just for fun.

If it really did happen like that, (and I used to live in atlanta and have seen similar), then you should have said "don't think so, you're not smart enough to be the president, I don't care how much you all look alike"

Cuz that would have been fun too.
Or:

"I already do. I work as a corrections officer."

Still, that would have sucked to experience...

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
i was too stunned to reply and just walked on. a gentle "f-u whitey" would have sufficed. :disgust1:
you should have reminded him that you'd also hold his head down so he wouldn't hit it on the roof getting in the back of your car

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I'm sure some blacks voted for him simply because he was a black man, but in reality, how is that different than voting for someone just because they're a Republican or Democrat?
besides one being an immutable attribute and the other being a philosophical choice, i guess not much.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
verbatim. and i was not in uniform. i'm known for being witty at work, almost too sarcastic and smartassed at times but that comment caught me completely off guard and i decided to hold my tongue rather than start a war right there with my kids in tow.

trust4130

Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
Pennsylvania
verbatim. and i was not in uniform. i'm known for being witty at work, almost too sarcastic and smartassed at times but that comment caught me completely off guard and i decided to hold my tongue rather than start a war right there with my kids in tow.
Heck, I thought I was being funny with my little joke and didn't even noticed the "ociffer" tag line beneath your name line... :imstupid:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
besides one being an immutable attribute and the other being a philosophical choice, i guess not much.
If straight party voters were voting on a philosophical stand, then yeah, i'd agree with you.

How many Repubs/Dems vote that way cause muh daddy voted that way
or..I hate the f'n Cons/Libs so bad, I'm voting Lib/Con

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Look up 'freaknik in atlanta' some time. Manimal can probably tell you about it........actually....he may have been too young at the time :D
went to that exactly one time ('93 i think).
never again. while its main focus was on hooking up & having a giant street party, whitey tends to distract from that, and refocuses the mob
excellent restraint sir
If straight party voters were voting on a philosophical stand, then yeah, i'd agree with you.

How many Repubs/Dems vote that way cause muh daddy voted that way
or..I hate the f'n Cons/Libs so bad, I'm voting Lib/Con
i thought about what i posted, and it's obvious you're not daft - didn't want you to think that i thought that. yes, intellectual laziness for many & no reasons abound.