Quantcast

"Mom, now we really are equal."

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
amen my liberal brother. although i may not agree with some of his policies, i am excited to see that the generational racism is beginning to dissolve.

i was, however, disappointed this week after a passing conversation i had with a young african american man at a restaurant. i was leaving the restaurant as this young man was entering. i politely held the door open for him and nodded for him to "go ahead." he grudgingly entered through the door and said, "you better get used to this 'cause after november 4th, you folks will be opening a lot of doors for us."
i was too stunned to reply and just walked on. a gentle "f-u whitey" would have sufficed. :disgust1:
I am wondering if you were in uniform when he said that. In case you didn't know, the African-American community has a certain mistrust with law enforcement members, particularly the heavyset, red-faced ones.

I had been joking privately about attacking white people on the day Obama got elected and yelling "It's Obama Time", but I am glad there was no violence during the celebrations.

When the police cleared the streets on election night, one cop said over the megaphone, "If you love Obama, you'll get on the sidewalk". That got a few chuckles.

As for that kid, you could have said, "Obama is my President too", which is will be true whether you feel that way or not. You could also say, "Don't forget, Obama is half white", which is also true, although if you were feeling particularly mean (and nowhere near a camera), you add, "the better half".

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
went to that exactly one time ('93 i think).
never again. while its main focus was on hooking up & having a giant street party, whitey tends to distract from that, and refocuses the mob
Wow. Depending on how close to GA tech you were, you and I might have been within yelling distance of each other.

They shut that thing down in the late 90s some time. What exactly made you decide to actually go to that thing? It came to me every summer, that's the only reason I ever came across the uh......spectacle.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
To say race wasn't a factor in this election is naive at best. It was for some so therefore was an issue, even at the smallest level. The historical significance is impossible to ignore, nor should it be. There will be those that harbor racist and bigot tendencies, but the fact of the matter remains that he is the President of the United States, representing every one of us. I'm sure some blacks voted for him simply because he was a black man, but in reality, how is that different than voting for someone just because they're a Republican or Democrat?

Ya know this whole election reminds me of NYC elections years ago. When Dinkins got elected. OMG, it was like the second coming. Cries of " we have taken NY" "Now, it is our time".......blah..blah....blah and at the end of the day, people still had to go to work, people still had to pay taxes, people got jobs, people lost jobs.............
I am afraid (and hope it does not happen) that at the end of his term, as in NY, most things were hype, did not pan out and was buiness as usual. I just hope this election does not pan out like the NYC elections of years past, following the 7 rules of project management, b/c so far it seems like we have begun to check box 1 and 2.

1. Wild enthusiasm

2. Disillusionment

3. Confusion

4. Panic

5. Search for the guilty

6. Punishment of the innocent

7. reward the non-participants

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Ya know this whole election reminds me of NYC elections years ago. When Dinkins got elected. OMG, it was like the second coming. Cries of " we have taken NY" "Now, it is our time".......blah..blah....blah and at the end of the day, people still had to go to work, people still had to pay taxes, people got jobs, people lost jobs.............
I am afraid (and hope it does not happen) that at the end of his term, as in NY, most things were hype, did not pan out and was buiness as usual.
Obama is a pragmatic centrist, if anyone is expecting weed to be legalized, universal healthcare, or anything like that, they are kidding themselves. He won't be a very liberal president, he will probably be very centrist, even with a Democratic Congress.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Wow. Depending on how close to GA tech you were, you and I might have been within yelling distance of each other.

They shut that thing down in the late 90s some time. What exactly made you decide to actually go to that thing? It came to me every summer, that's the only reason I ever came across the uh......spectacle.
until getting married & having a kid, i've always loved unruly crowds. i was newly stationed in AL (2 hrs SW), and truly believed racial friction was in the rural south only.

i was mostly around 5 pts, cnn, & ihop

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am afraid (and hope it does not happen) that at the end of his term, as in NY, most things were hype, did not pan out and was buiness as usual. I just hope this election does not pan out like the NYC elections of years past, following the 7 rules of project management, b/c so far it seems like we have begun to check box 1 and 2.
Funny enough you mention Dinkins, because that was the last NY mayoral election I voted for, which I chose Giuliani.

The two issues that decided it for me was the Crown Heights Riot and the financial mismanagement of OTB.

I believed Giuliani would have never had let these problems occur under his leadership, and I think history has proven me right in this case.

But Dinkins was ineffectual with no master plan beyond beating a tired Ed Koch. In comparison, Giuliani came into office with policies like Zero Tolerance and a micromanaging style, which no matter how unpopular in some segments, greatly improved life in the city.

I think everyone will agree that Obama is a good organizer and planner. We will have to see about his leadership, but I think he will be a steady rudder in crisis.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Obama is a pragmatic centrist, if anyone is expecting weed to be legalized, universal healthcare, or anything like that, they are kidding themselves. He won't be a very liberal president, he will probably be very centrist, even with a Democratic Congress.
Over and over again Obama noted to the masses he is a pragmatic centrist, and we believed him and elected him, caught up in the Barrack fever. However, as in anything else, once the hype is gone, there is only harsh realities. Such as owing debts to the left wing of the Democrats who helped him get where he is today (He has alot of IOUs) Couple this with a democratic Congress just "let out of the cage" and you have a recipe for a storm of partisan liberal policies.
In contrast, Obama seemed to appeal to the broader electorate as a pragmatist as well who pledged a party blind goverenment. So, now he must decide whether to disappoint the liberals out of the gate or wait til later. Unless he chooses to walk the fine line between the two, however that typically results in getting nothing done.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Over and over again Obama noted to the masses he is a pragmatic centrist, and we believed him and elected him, caught up in the Barrack fever. However, as in anything else, once the hype is gone, there is only harsh realities. Such as owing debts to the left wing of the Democrats who helped him get where he is today (He has alot of IOUs) Couple this with a democratic Congress just "let out of the cage" and you have a recipe for a storm of partisan liberal policies.
In contrast, Obama seemed to appeal to the broader electorate as a pragmatist as well who pledged a party blind goverenment. So, now he must decide whether to disappoint the liberals out of the gate or wait til later. Unless he chooses to walk the fine line between the two, however that typically results in getting nothing done.

You forget one thing. There are a lot of Democratic Senators and Congressmen that got elected or re-elected because of support from Obama, not the other way around. They owe him.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
You forget one thing. There are a lot of Democratic Senators and Congressmen that got elected or re-elected because of support from Obama, not the other way around. They owe him.
I am not too sure about that one, I could be wrong.............

What I think a safe bet is that any junior Senator does not have too many IOUs stockd piled in the plus cloumn. It just does not happen that fast.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I am not too sure about that one, I could be wrong.............

What I think a safe bet is that any junior Senator does not have too many IOUs stockd piled in the plus cloumn. It just does not happen that fast.
Dems earned the bulk of the record number of new registrations. Dems won a lot of seats do to record youth and minority turnout. That is all due to Obama. Additionally, his overwhelming victory gives him a small mandate and a big trump card.

Not saying it'll be smooth sailing, but he has capital to burn. Pelosi has already burned all of hers.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Describing her experience on Election Day, Lohan said: "It was really exciting. It's an amazing feeling. It's our first colored president."
obviously, she was punk'd by lex steele when he switched scripts on set