Quantcast

!!! Monday GMT ???

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
Mornin! Hard to come back after having been off drinking and riding for the past 9 days. For your Monday morning pleasure, here is a video I shot Saturday going down Troll Stroll at the Kingdom Trails.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Yo. almost killed the kid in the heat Friday at the BMX track...got so hot we bagged it before the race even began. To heck with those long pants/sleeves rule....Worked on bikes Sat, did a muddy ride Sunday & friends visited. My hair still smells like hickory charcoal from the outdoor cookin' goin' on. BMX clinic tonight if it doesn't downpour.

EDIT: going cheap into bike vids with the kid (ie wrecking in mind), gots me one of these coming today:

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I am working from home this morning because I'm frankly not excited about going back into the office after being in Tanzania for 2 weeks. Sigh.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sorry for blowing you off, how was Plattysuperendurpo?
I didn't enderp it, but the mountain was nice. Had a lot of mechanicals. A flat, a loose shock bolt that I thought was my headset, blah blah blah. I guess that's why normal people keep the same bike for a long period of time...note to self.

Still, it was fun, hot, and riding at plattekill is like the best thing ever.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I didn't enderp it, but the mountain was nice. Had a lot of mechanicals. A flat, a loose shock bolt that I thought was my headset, blah blah blah. I guess that's why normal people keep the same bike for a long period of time...note to self.

Still, it was fun, hot, and riding at plattekill is like the best thing ever.

I am jealous...won't be able to ride DH until August at this point.....When is das baby day? Make up day at Jiminy later this summer?

Summer is a bummer:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
the baby is due the 13th of september. I probably won't leave the house past Aug 31st, and even then might be iffy. Something like Jiminy might be doable that weekend, but no further. Otherwise I'll be around, and would love to go riding. This weekend might be a great one, was planning a trip but herding cats and all that.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
the baby is due the 13th of september. I probably won't leave the house past Aug 31st, and even then might be iffy. Something like Jiminy might be doable that weekend, but no further. Otherwise I'll be around, and would love to go riding. This weekend might be a great one, was planning a trip but herding cats and all that.
I'm done 'till Aug - kid's b'day, vacation, etc.

In other good news (aka vacation), seeing Dick Dale play on the Cape!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Morning. Had a brutal ride in the heat on Friday. We made it back to the car just as the rain came though it might have been a welcome reprieve from the heat & humidity. The thunder and lightening as intense though! Took the girls to the drive-in theater on Saturday night to see Monsters U and we also saw The Lone Ranger. Sunday was float around in the pool day and I made some awesome steak sandwiches with leftover steak dinner from Saturday.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
Afternoon.

Monday, at work, meh...

We took my son out for his first boat ride yesterday on my dad's sailboat. He did pretty well except got annoyed with wearing the lifejacket after a while.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Spent the past week here with the family:

It was nice but real glad we left before the hot/humid weather hit since AC is like a new concept in Maine.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Spent the past week here with the family:

It was nice but real glad we left before the hot/humid weather hit since AC is like a new concept in Maine.

well, there are only about 2, maybe 3 weeks a year where it *might* be needed.

that being said, i'll be up at camp first 2 weeks of september

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
well, there are only about 2, maybe 3 weeks a year where it *might* be needed.

that being said, i'll be up at camp first 2 weeks of september
Last year we went up to Peaks Island for a week in July. Worst week ever!!! Ughhh so hot and I was like "I know we'll go out for dinner" but the restaurants have like one 5000btu window unit per restaurant. We have almost always gone to Maine for the first week of August but this year and last year a little sooner. I'll never do that again. Even out on the island it was killer last friday/saturday packing. I can deal with the humidity during the day but sleeping in it, thats another story.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Portland Maine A/C = beer and casco bay
Agreed...... Also, the one and only cure for a hangover I have ever found is jumping off the ferry dock into the 50degree water in the morning.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Last year we went up to Peaks Island for a week in July. Worst week ever!!! Ughhh so hot and I was like "I know we'll go out for dinner" but the restaurants have like one 5000btu window unit per restaurant. We have almost always gone to Maine for the first week of August but this year and last year a little sooner. I'll never do that again. Even out on the island it was killer last friday/saturday packing. I can deal with the humidity during the day but sleeping in it, thats another story.
if your schedule allows, go later. like beginning of september. our family camp is an hour from bangor, and we always spend a few days in bar harbor. its still plenty warm (but without the sweltering heat) - warm enough for swimming, and acadia is nearly empty after labor day and during the week. wife and i went beginning of september for the first time last year, and we enjoyed it a lot more.

Last edited:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
if your schedule allows, go later. like beginning of september. our family camp is an hour from bangor, and we always spend a few days in bar harbor. its still plenty warm (but without the sweltering heat) - warm enough for swimming, and acadia is nearly empty after labor day and during the week. wife and i went beginning of september for the first time last year, and we enjoyed it a lot more.
My wife's a teacher = end discussion

My wife's first time camping I took her to Acadia. Rainy and thick fog for 3 days strait. Finally after not seeing any of the beautiful landscapes etc... we packed it in a day early. We still laugh about the smell ride home.

Does your family have land you camp on or is it a cabin?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
My wife's a teacher = end discussion

My wife's first time camping I took her to Acadia. Rainy and thick fog for 3 days strait. Finally after not seeing any of the beautiful landscapes etc... we packed it in a day early. We still laugh about the smell ride home.

Does your family have land you camp on or is it a cabin?
makes sense. that's why my folks always go in august. [edit] my mom is a teacher too [/edit]

i still have family up that way. they don't have the family farm any more, but they still own the wood lot from when they did, which is where the family cabin. their main house is farther down the same lake in town. the cabin sits in a mostly private cove because it emcompasses most of the wood lot.

when we do acadia we typically stay in a B&B. it's kind of a nice change, since the camp is fairly rustic (power, running water, kitchenette).

we're actually camping 2 nights up in baxter at the base of katahdin this year.

Last edited:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
makes sense. that's why my folks always go in august. [edit] my mom is a teacher too [/edit]

i still have family up that way. they don't have the family farm any more, but they still own the wood lot from when they did, which is where the family cabin. their main house is farther down the same lake in town. the cabin sits in a mostly private cove because it emcompasses most of the wood lot.

when we do acadia we typically stay in a B&B. it's kind of a nice change, since the camp is fairly rustic (power, running water, kitchenette).

we're actually camping 2 nights up in baxter at the base of katahdin this year.
Camped in Katahdin with the boy scouts when I was younger. Great country up there!

What area is your camp in?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
we're staying at katahdin stream, right at the base of the mountain along the AT.

if the wife likes it i'll talk her into staying at chimney pond and hiking knife's edge the next time we go :brows:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Nice! Enjoy!

When I went up with the boy scouts we went to a logging camp way out in the woods, ya know before Axe Men and American Loggers was on TV.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Nice! Enjoy!

When I went up with the boy scouts we went to a logging camp way out in the woods, ya know before Axe Men and American Loggers was on TV.
logging camp? you really that can describe pretty much anywhere in the northern half of the state right?

on another note, this thread is a documentation of an offroading trip two buddies of mine from college took through the north maine woods. lots of pictures. really, really awesome.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/67758-The-Map-is-Not-the-Territory-A-Northern-Maine-Adventure