Quantcast

***Monday GMT***

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Me too haha. The wife would be pissed. Oh well. I semi-know what I'm getting myself into. I figured it would be a decent daily over the truck. If the car shits itself for some reason, I'll just build a stout shortblock and be done with it. First Subaru, but worked on plenty of cars over the years. Always loved turbo cars.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
It's going be be weird after dd my Tundra for the last 6 years. But the money I won't be pissing away on gas will cover most of what the car is costing me.
Understeer. Be ready for understeer.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Great day on the bike today. Did a long solo ride, at a quite mellow location. Not many roots or anything technical, just flow flow and a little more flow. Might have dipped into the portable shed mid-ride. Made my apple taste absolutely wonderful.

Sad to say though, my KS seat post seems to have taken a dump. It sinks down about an inch or two when I raise it up and then put weight on it. :(

Today was one of those perfect days where your tires are making all sorts of pleasant noises.

After finishing the trail side, I ventured across the street (and turned off the dork logger) to ride/check out one of those trails. Its been 5-7 years since I rode it and it was just as much fun as I remember. Just didn't hit the two booters at the bottom. I also stumbled across a pretty much vertical trail down a valley wall, which has pretty good length (for around here). I've notified the appropriate peoples to come out with me to ride it, as there is no way I will ride that alone. Can't wait... :brows:

Moar Lesbaru. Moar gears.

Should be picking this up this week. 2008 Legacy Spec B. Factory 6 sp STI trans with the 2.5T motor.

Nice find. I have always lusted after a nice LGT. Those with a manual are quite rare actually, if memory serves me correctly. Perhaps @stoney can back me up here...or already has.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Me too haha. The wife would be pissed. Oh well. I semi-know what I'm getting myself into. I figured it would be a decent daily over the truck. If the car shits itself for some reason, I'll just build a stout shortblock and be done with it. First Subaru, but worked on plenty of cars over the years. Always loved turbo cars.
Important Websites:
Nasioc.com
Kartboy.com
Subarugeniuneparts.com
Subaruparts.com
rallysportdirect.com
legacygt.com/forums/

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
:think:

///mountains monday complete. i have no business planning a 30 mile route with 4500' climbing considering my fitness level...but if you don't try you don't get better, eh? great day in the best part of pisgah. overcast. 68*. rode a bit conservatively the last 6 miles after smashing my rear tire on a rock so hard i felt the stans spray the back of my leg. had to install le backup tube.

for those who know wilsons: near the top of bee mtn.

now to shower and rest for a few before going to the parkway drive show. what a great day.
I can't wait to ride some of that stuff.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Nice find. I have always lusted after a nice LGT. Those with a manual are quite rare actually, if memory serves me correctly. Perhaps @stoney can back me up here...or already has.
LGT manual is hard to find. B Spec only comes in manual, as it should.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yea, I've been casually looking for a while. Wouldn't have minded a regular LGT either. I actually saw a regular one for sale that I would consider as well down in San Diego. The Spec B comes with some extras from the factory, mainly a nicer interior, the STI six speed trans and some other little stuff. This one is nearly stock, minus an aftermarket replacement clutch and some coilovers, but it looks like it's been really well maintained and the guy has owned it since almost new. Manuals are hard to find, but it's what I really wanted. I thought about just buying a Mazda 3 or something like that to commute, but the wife nudged me to get something a little nicer we can take out. Good compromise between decent gas mileage, fun to drive and still has room for activities. I hate taking my truck to the bike park solo and spending more on gas than a lift ticket.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
V8?

my dad has a tundra...crew cab...8 foot bed...if he gets 12mpg he is lucky...
Yea, 04 crew cab. 4.7L V8. It's a ridiculously awesome vehicle. I bought it with 100K on it, pushing 200K now. I had to have a coolant hose under the intake replaced recently, but other than that, nothing but routine maintenance and it just keeps going. It's lifted a little with Bilsteins and 33s, but that's it. I lost a little mpg after going to bigger tires, but it wasn't all that great to begin with. Really though, I don't have any complaints. It's done everything I ask of it the last 6 years. Still going to keep it, just won't drive it as much. I still need a truck pretty routinely.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yea, I've been casually looking for a while. Wouldn't have minded a regular LGT either. I actually saw a regular one for sale that I would consider as well down in San Diego. The Spec B comes with some extras from the factory, mainly a nicer interior, the STI six speed trans and some other little stuff. This one is nearly stock, minus an aftermarket replacement clutch and some coilovers, but it looks like it's been really well maintained and the guy has owned it since almost new. Manuals are hard to find, but it's what I really wanted. I thought about just buying a Mazda 3 or something like that to commute, but the wife nudged me to get something a little nicer we can take out. Good compromise between decent gas mileage, fun to drive and still has room for activities. I hate taking my truck to the bike park solo and spending more on gas than a lift ticket.
This thing had the living piss flogged out of it if he has it on coils and an aftermarket clutch. Don't forget the cost of a hitch and bike rack.

I know I'll probably hammer it for the first few months, but my truck gets pretty much 11-12mpg with mixed driving.
Yeah... The Forester got like 17mpg too. When commuting. In flowing traffic. In the 60 mph range. Driving? 13-14mpg if I was lucky.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
This thing had the living piss flogged out of it if he has it on coils and an aftermarket clutch. Don't forget the cost of a hitch and bike rack.
Yeah... The Forester got like 17mpg too. When commuting. In flowing traffic. In the 60 mph range. Driving? 13-14mpg if I was lucky.
Nah, I forget what clutch he put in it, but it was just a replacement. The coils only have like 10K on them. I think it was the same thing. I think it's just the 'worn out, replace it with something better' thing. The guy has done a ton of preventative maintenance. I think it's just the same thinking.

I've seen consistent feedback saying the cars get low 20s cruising around and mid 20s on the freeway. We'll see. I'm not married to it either. Ultimately plan on buying a 911TT, but with two small kids, this is a good stop gap. It's been way too long that I've had something fun to drive.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I know I'll probably hammer it for the first few months, but my truck gets pretty much 11-12mpg with mixed driving.
While my car does have a few shortcomings (2 seats, limited storage, rear wheel drive, zero ground clearance), it is perfect for the commute. I think my worst tank of gas has been 22mpg with mixed driving. My commute is about 26mpg average and I hammer it daily when driven.

One odd but nice thing about my car was the clutch. While the OE LS1 clutch was rated for 400hp, the OE LS7 clutch is rated for 700hp and cost the same as the LS1 clutch. Had to switch to LS6 hydros, but they were also the same price as the LS1 hydros. Not that I will ever turn 700hp, but it is good to know my clutch is not the weak link in the drivetrain. My car will top out around 430ish hp when done.

It also cleans up nice for an older lady. :rofl:

<edit> The labor bill sucked, but I knew going in it wouldn't be cheap. But I still wish I would have done it myself after all the sh!t I went through.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Nah, I forget what clutch he put in it, but it was just a replacement. The coils only have like 10K on them. I think it was the same thing. I think it's just the 'worn out, replace it with something better' thing. The guy has done a ton of preventative maintenance. I think it's just the same thinking.

I've seen consistent feedback saying the cars get low 20s cruising around and mid 20s on the freeway. We'll see. I'm not married to it either. Ultimately plan on buying a 911TT, but with two small kids, this is a good stop gap. It's been way too long that I've had something fun to drive.
GT3. That's all I want is a GT3. Wifey knows this and it won't be until after Haley's through school, but GT3.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
While my car does have a few shortcomings (2 seats, limited storage, rear wheel drive, zero ground clearance), it is perfect for the commute. I think my worst tank of gas has been 22mpg with mixed driving. My commute is about 26mpg average and I hammer it daily when driven.
It also cleans up nice for an older lady. :rofl:
I have the two kids and take one to daycare every day, so had to have room for them. Otherwise, there are some really good two seat options.

GT3. That's all I want is a GT3. Wifey knows this and it won't be until after Haley's through school, but GT3.
I'd love a GT3, but they can be pricey. 996TTs are affordable. Goal is to hopefully time it to grab a 997.1 when prices bottom out and just keep it. It's insane how much 993s have climbed. I could have made probably 2-3x what I sold my 70 911 for if I still had it.

BTW, I already have a 1up rack, just need a hitch for the Subi.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
What about this?

One advantage of my kids being older is the ability to keep my 2 seater. :D

Eventually I will build my project car and the wife has said that she might accept using Esther for it. The original goal was to buy a C5 rolling chassis with an auto, but to build a '63 Impala SS with a 6 speed would just been all sorts of fun.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Meet up with the ex-pro at the OG spot. We had a fun ride despite seeing all the logs that have been cut out by a rogue, sanitizing, douchebag, skill-less, self-centered, hack, turd muncher. Neither of us were amused to see logs that have been there to hop over for 15-20 years now chopped out.

We all know who the guy is, as he's been run out of another trail system for cutting roots and fucking with other builder's work like it was his to do as he see's fit. Word is he's a bit mentally unhinged, great. So fucking hate this guy for aggressively dumbing down what very few trails we have.

/rant

Anyway looks like I may have a new riding friend. She didn't beat up on me too bad, and can ride technical trails. Also easy to get along with.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
She's a natural; riding inches from the wall on corners, full head turn for turning. This will end awesome, or poorly depending on which parent you ask.
@Montana rider, please explain bad spelling? The formatting could be cleaner, but the spelling is proper and sentence is grammatically correct.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Somebody on M5board did a full M5 -> Touring swap. All the way down to the chassis rebuild. IIRC, the only thing that didn't work was the rear hatch light and trunk auto-open.
I've always lusted after the E30 M3, then a buddy showed me this:

510hp LS3 and 6 speed, likely gets 18 city 30 hwy. :drool:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

Wow. That sucks. My lifted and armored Tacoma gets 17mpg in city type driving and eeks out a bit more on the highway.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've always lusted after the E30 M3, then a buddy showed me this:

510hp LS3 and 6 speed, likely gets 18 city 30 hwy. :drool:
So much for your front-rear weight balance. I've seen people put e36 M3 engines into e30 bodies to keep the weight balance more reasonable. It's a car about handling moreso than power, so I agree with the latter option

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Wow. That sucks. My lifted and armored Tacoma gets 17mpg in city type driving and eeks out a bit more on the highway.
Hell, the M only gets 14mpg in daily driving. However at 80+ it averages 23mpg. Go figure.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So much for your front-rear weight balance. I've seen people put e36 M3 engines into e30 bodies to keep the weight balance more reasonable. It's a car about handling moreso than power, so I agree with the latter option
The LS3 is actually wicked light. That's why they have gotten so popular for swaps. They are all aluminum and can be built to 600+ hp with some level of reliability. They say it's only slightly longer than the OE engine and I think it is close to the same weight.