Quantcast

Mongoose 2007

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
This of it this way would you not buy a Lexas cause toyota makes cheap Scions and the Yaris? To someone who drives a high end car those are pieces of crap.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
thats to bad, because what you see as a pain in the ass i see as a chance to turn a new person onto bikes.

no doubt the bikes from wal mart are cheap no matter what parts you put on them and i've heard all the stories of the guy who comes in and wants his wal mart bike tuned up

but it's a perfect chance to say "hey the cheaper bikes are found at wal mart and when that thing wears out you should come back here and we can hook you up with a bike that will last a bit longer"

as most people who have spent any time on the new Mongoose bikes can tell you, they are far from the wal mart bikes you speak of,
maybe it will just take time for some to realize that all companies not just bike companies can have cheaper priced products as well as expensive
i guess it's just in how different people look at things?
This is going to be a challenge for Mongoose and their sponsored riders: to break their current image of a Wal-mart special.

Every company has their ups-and-downs. Iron Horse, for one example, has just won the mens and womens WC DH, but their online dealer Randall Scott does not exactly endear them to the brick and mortar dealers who don't know who Sam and Sabrina are, but have worked with the same outside rep for 10 years.

I am not foolish enough to think a major's bikes ride better because they have 10 ad pages in this month's biking magazine, but I do know when I have to tap a bottom bracket on a new bike or when I have difficulty warrantying a broken frame. Would I feel confident enough with Mongoose/Pacific that I would bring their bikes into my shop?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yeah...when I bought an SGS and my LBS saw it, they said "Dept store bike ahoy!"

50% of this forum is IH fanboys.

Get over it, pussies.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Wood Dog:
However, at my time in shops over the years I got tired of white trash comming into the shop and asking if we had anything cheaper then the $250 bread-n-butter bikes. And when I see a mongoose I directly associate them with Wal-mart because that is where they have been most likely found over the last, what....10 years? So because of thier biggest seller to the community I affiliate Mongoose bikes as being cheap reguardless of what components are put on the frame!
I can't see myself ever getting pissed at someone who came into a shop asking for something cheaper than what you've got and then looking down on them for it...:mad:

I have to agree with the statement Zutroy made regarding the elitist attitude a lot of people in the industry have taken against Mongoose just because they sold product at a large retail chain.

It's easy to forget in our world of $5000 DH rigs that SOME people don't have that kind of cash to piss away on their hobby or sport. Some people work their asses off to put food on the table, a roof over their heads, and depending on the situation, clothes on their kids backs.

So does this mean that someone in this postion who is interested in our sport who can't afford a fu@king V-10 or a Sunday isn't allowed to join our little club?!

BC VAN is trying to get the point accross that at a street level - you can access more people with less expensive, entry level bikes for those that need them. Some of these people might be interested in what we do. So they remember that Wal-Mart bike, and then go to check out the rest of Mongoose's line.

Pele' was the worlds greatest soccer player at one time, but as a kid he played games with his friends in his bare feet with an old sock stuffed with rags for a ball on the dirt roads of Brazil . Does anyone honestly think that if he came from a more affluent background and could afford a pair of Adidas he would be a better player?

It's not what you have - it's what you do with it that counts.

A gift is something everyone is born with.

Talent, is what you do with that gift.

From the looks of the linkage it is just a DW with out the rocker arm and has a goofy shock position. I bet it rides sweet. When i got my sunday people at my old shop laughrd because i bought a bike from a company that sells bikes at sports authority and dicks sporting goods. None of us were baging on IronHorse when they went "big box".

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Iron horse bikes - 5 years ago they were crap, now they won 2 world titles in one day.

Maxxis tires - circa 1998 complete plastic crap. Now they are pretty much one of 2 or 3 brands to buy for excellent tires.

Mongoose has made leaps and bounds in their bikes over the last 2-3 years. Some of you guys need to grow up and realize that it's all about the riding. I bet your $4000 Dh bike has maxxis or Kenda tires on it. I smell a walmart bike!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Unfortunately it doesn't sound like a joke.

Reminds me of the guy who said the new Enduro SL's are just Kona linkages because of the appearance. :dead:

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Iron horse bikes - 5 years ago they were crap, now they won 2 world titles in one day.

Maxxis tires - circa 1998 complete plastic crap. Now they are pretty much one of 2 or 3 brands to buy for excellent tires.

Mongoose has made leaps and bounds in their bikes over the last 2-3 years. Some of you guys need to grow up and realize that it's all about the riding. I bet your $4000 Dh bike has maxxis or Kenda tires on it. I smell a walmart bike!
well put, as were the responses from S.K.C. and Zutroy, We realize it's the first year out with this high end line and the company is super pumped on the reception of these bikes.....
i guess it will take time for more riders to realize these bikes are quality and btw if it was a Mongoose it would be just over 3g's

it's a little thing i call the Whistler factor, with these bikes you have some money left over to take a Whistler trip.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
you want to know the irony here, i think one of the main reason that these bikes can be sold with the great spec they have for the amounts they are, is the fact that Mongoose has a lot of buying power based on how many bikes they sell.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
you want to know the irony here, i think one of the main reason that these bikes can be sold with the great spec they have for the amounts they are, is the fact that Mongoose has a lot of buying power based on how many bikes they sell.
Exactly...Pacifics high end stuff (GT and Mongoose) is ridiculously well priced because of what you said, sheer buying power.

Think Wal-Mart...

benno

Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
I didn't notice the arrow 'till you guys pointed it out. :clue: I think it's awesome. :banana: Just a funny little way of reminding yourself which end of the bike should go downhill...kinda like the ride faster stickers people have. :happydance:
Yah, a forward arrow is great but how could they have been so f*cking incompetent as to forget to indicate the bike's vertical orientation?

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
I can't see myself ever getting pissed at someone who came into a shop asking for something cheaper than what you've got and then looking down on them for it...:mad:
I never said I get "pissed" at people who want cheaper bikes, I just said i got tire of white trash comming into the shop and complaining that the $250 bikes were too much. And no matter how much time you spend with them trying to explain to them what make the bike worth $250 i.e. free lifetime service, professionally assembled, the bike is safe to ride right out the door, etc! They still think it's a waste of money and would rather put the extra money into a cold 6-pack of cheap beer, a bag of weed and if there is any left over maybe some speed to snort
it's easy to forget in our world of $5000 DH rigs that SOME people don't have that kind of cash to piss away on their hobby or sport. Some people work their asses off to put food on the table, a roof over their heads, and depending on the situation, clothes on their kids backs.
IT took me several years to finally aquire the bike that I wanted and again, I never said anything about bashing someone for riding a cheaper bike. And if someone has to bust their ass to feed their family, then I would call them stupid for wasting money needed for the family on a 5000.00 DH rig
So does this mean that someone in this postion who is interested in our sport who can't afford a fu@king V-10 or a Sunday isn't allowed to join our little club?!

Hell no! I don't have a v-10 or a sunday but if someone wanted to go to Wal-mart and buy a Next f/s and show up for a DH race who am I to care WTF they ride.
All I had said is that I will always affiliate Mongoose bikes with Wal-Mart and White-trash!