Quantcast

Mongoose ECD

tmoney727t

Monkey
Feb 22, 2005
Madison, CT
what do people think about them? how do they hold up? and would any body be interested in trading my white 2005 morewood Izimu size medium for one?
Thanks,
Tom

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
i will never a buy a bike from a company that sells bikes in a wallmart
Please

ECD is one of the best bikes for the price. All the users seem very happy with them and they have nice spec on them. You don't hear much about them breaking.

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
I'm now on my second EC-D and will probably end up on the new Boot'r later this season. The Mongoose bikes rock and personally I like the way they feel better than a Sunday/DW Link. They ride like a single-pivot that can sprint well & doesn't experience brake/chain jack issues.

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
Oh and PS, Iron Horse bikes are sold in Sports Authority & Dicks Sporting Goods, not much better than WalMart. And in addition, shops can't even order the Mongoose/IH/etc... garbage bikes that are sold in the large retail chains, they are two COMPLETELY different lines and companies (owned by the same parent company) of bikes and anyone who rides or knows anything about the industry can attest to that.

NuckaMan

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
Orange County, CA
If your buying new, you don't have to worry about it but if your looking at a 07 used one, make sure the frame comes with the updated hardware.

While the Walmart Mongoose and Mongoose as we know it are different, the Mongoose as we know it tried to skip corners on their 1st few runs buy using some unbelieveable cheap hardware.

I got stuck with one of them and replaced them myself with some carbon steel stuff. I understand they got smart and started to use some decent hardware.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005

growing up as a kid our family didn't have the money for me to have some super awesome bike from the bike shop.

I'm so glad that companies offer bikes at these stores as an introduction to the sport of bicycle's, i got a huffy for my 8th birthday, and my world was changed due to that "wal mart" bike.

S

seespotendo

when your talking about this "bad hardware" does that include all 2007 'gooses.
im considering getting a used 2007 black diamond triple. exactly which hardware is the cheap stuff??

NuckaMan

Chimp
Dec 10, 2007
Orange County, CA
when your talking about this "bad hardware" does that include all 2007 'gooses.
im considering getting a used 2007 black diamond triple. exactly which hardware is the cheap stuff??
From what I was told (by a local dealer), it was not all the 07's, only the ones that were manufactured in the 1st quarter, so I guess the really early versions, which I got.

What happened to me was, after awhile, the pivot bolts would just not stay tight causing some play to develop at the pivot joints (all of them). I took them out to take a look and found that some of them bent on me. I replaced the main pivot ones with carbon steel through-axles with nylon hex nuts (super strong but heavy) but had to replace the small pivot axles (the ones near the BB) through Mongoose as they are custom hardware. The new ones are made from high grade steel that "hold" much better, I used some blue loctite so I don't have to worry about it. Other then that, I've abused the bike many times since and it's been worry free. The bike does rock and for the money, it's hard to beat.

Just do your typical check when buying a used frame and ask the owner if there have been any problems keeping the hardware tight.

And to add what BC Van said-

I didn't grow up in money either. My 1st mountain bike when I was a kid was bought from a place called Gemco, which was like a Target back in the day. I thought it was the coolest thing in the world. It wasn't until I started working is when I finally could have afford a bike through a bike shop. Up until then, it was all big-box brands from places like Sears and Walmarts.

People like matt owns should tell the guy breaking his back for under minimum wage, communting to work 4am in the morning on his big-box brand bike that his bike sucks because it's not turner or whatever the flavor of the month is.

Last edited:

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
I recently just picked up a 2008 Teocali Elite after being blown away by the 2007 black diamond series that I test rode night after night working my part time job. I tried an EC-D at a local dh race last year and it simply confirmed what I started to think with the black diamonds.....Mongoose is back!!!

With guys like EC and Neethling riding for them, providing constant input and helping make a better overall package, it's no wonder they've started to make the uphill swing to primetime once again. My riding buddies laughed at me the first time I rolled the Teocali out onto the trail, but after they saw it work on a trail and took a test ride around our local trail loops....well, let's just say the were all standing around scratching their heads in awe.

A buddy that owns a Yeti 575 still can't accept the fact that my teocali performs every bit as good as his 575, yet I paid substantially less and got a whole bike to his frame/fork combo deal! He's blown away that I bought a complete bike, yet had money left over to make a few upgrades to certain parts and even had enough left over to pay for a nice epic xc trip last month! I don't have "disposable income" in my personal budget, so every dollar spent on a trail bike had to count. I compared tons of bikes, spent lots of time test riding and crunching numbers v/s build packages, but in the end nothing close could come close in value and performance.

Bottom line.....get ready, cause Mongoose is coming back loaded and ready to rock-n-roll. Try finding another bike company that can spec bikes like Mongoose is doing right now for the same ballpark price.....I think it's very similar to the whole brand image, performance, quality, and popularity comeback that a certain other company went through not so long ago (ahem...IH....ahem).

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah i have been hearing good things about the ecd...

Mongoose is going to be a big name again finally they got their sh1t together and are releasing some decent junk. They have the backing to release some seriously legit stuff for a good price.

sk_23

Chimp
Dec 23, 2006
as a rider that's ride one the ec-d for a year all i can say is that the bike are great but the FreeDrive makes the rear shock feel very stiff and you don't feel the 8.4 inch of travel