Quantcast

Monkeyfest 2020?

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
In what feels like something that may be a trap, my wife is actively encouraging me to look into another big bike trip this year. I just missed the deadline for Bikerpelli, and I might consider a ride-the-divide type trip, but I've also always wanted to go to a OG monkeyfest. Are there plans for this year? I seem to recall that there was some sort of issue with the location where it's usually held. What say the hivemind?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a desire to hit the road the summer to do some riding. Would be down with something on the west or Virginia/Carolinas.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
average temps, july
Jackson, WY: 82/41
Brevard, NC: 83/62
Cortez, CO: 89/56
North Conway, NH: 81/57

couldn't find a consistent average humidity #...i'm sure brevard is somewhat higher

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Northwest Wa, average July temp, 72, average rainfall .9". Possibly one of the best locations for guaranteed good conditions. But I'd rather go to Bend.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Old monkeyfest was dominated by the North East Monkey Mafia, who short of JBP aren't really around anymore. No reason the season can't be optimized for the location.
Any attempt to organize a substantial Monkeyfest outside of the Northeast failed miserably. ;)

Theresa and I have been discussing this.

A central piece of what made Monkeyfest work is that we could all stay in one place for a few days with about a hundred miles of trails immediately outside the door, and individuals and groups could ride however and whenever they wanted without having to drive someplace to ride. Kingdom Trails fit that, but it has been effectively bisected and a lot of the best trails are now off limits.

As observed above, the initial crew has aged and dispersed, and the last few attempts to organize a fest have fizzled - endless discussion of how/when and no one committing.

I have peen poking around trying to find someplace with about the same number of miles of available trail and someplace to stay. I have one candidate in Pennsylvania, the Coopers Gap area - we had a gathering there in 2014 which went pretty well and a friend and I returned a couple years later.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Theresa and I have been discussing this.

A central piece of what made Monkeyfest work is that we could all stay in one place for a few days with about a hundred miles of trails immediately outside the door, and individuals and groups could ride however and whenever they wanted without having to drive someplace to ride. Kingdom Trails fit that, but it has been effectively bisected and a lot of the best trails are now off limits.

As observed above, the initial crew has aged and dispersed, and the last few attempts to organize a fest have fizzled - endless discussion of how/when and no one committing.

I have peen poking around trying to find someplace with about the same number of miles of available trail and someplace to stay. I have one candidate in Pennsylvania, the Coopers Gap area - we had a gathering there in 2014 which went pretty well and a friend and I returned a couple years later.
If you opt for Cooper's gap / rothrock maybe we'll even introduce ourselves this time :D

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
In what feels like something that may be a trap, my wife is actively encouraging me to look into another big bike trip this year. I just missed the deadline for Bikerpelli, and I might consider a ride-the-divide type trip, but I've also always wanted to go to a OG monkeyfest. Are there plans for this year? I seem to recall that there was some sort of issue with the location where it's usually held. What say the hivemind?

Yessssssss! We need another bike trip!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'm in....probably. Well maybe. OK, if it's convenient for me, I'll probably try to go.

What about Stowe? I heard there's a big organization there. Alternatively, I hear the XC component of Thunder Mountain in western mass is pretty good.

I still wager the KT thing will be resolved by summer...perhaps with limited access to those trails, but probably with enough to allow riders to pass through.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Only 14 miles of trail...

Which ain't necessarily a constraint
The Boy scout camp (Secret Stash) on the adjacent hill has another 10 and can be stitched with OCP. Harriet Hollister 20 minutes away has another 10. Hitor can be shuttled and has 7/10. Stidhill has 6 /7. Dryer Rd in Victor has 6/7. Rochester close by has Tryon, West Bay, Ellison for another 15/20 (Can be stitched together).

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
71 miles, so let's talk. Tourist city, where might we hang out? Included in that would be direct access to trailhead(s)... Also further to the northeast, moving away from lots of monkeys...
My Cousins have a Camp in Ossipee on the Bear Camp River near Trout Pond, Cranmore, and Great Glenn. No Amenities however. Very Primitive.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
71 miles, so let's talk. Tourist city, where might we hang out? Included in that would be direct access to trailhead(s)... Also further to the northeast, moving away from lots of monkeys...
Yes it is a tourist town, but the setting is quite nice. You've got the north side that is more old town with nice restaurants and shops, the south entrance is more typical mini malls with Walmart and crap.

You've got 3 sectors of trails, two can be linked easy by bike path or committing to an epic loop. Trails aren't as buff as KTA for sure, but you get more verts and nice views. Trail options range from easy to epic gnar (Kandagnar comes to mind) Trails near Black Cap can easily be shuttled for late day runs. Accomodation between Hurricane Mtn road and Cranmore resort would be ideal. Cars would be needed to ride the Whitehorse Ledge sector.

There is lift serve DH at Attitash. I have yet to try it. Cranmore is suppose to open lifts this summer to give access to a couple of machine built easier trails, but also giving access to Charlie, Kandagnar and Pinball. This should be sweet.

For non biker, there is a lot of hiking options, Saco river, Train ride, and of course downtown shops.

Does not have the rural feel of good ol' East Burke, but town and setup aside the riding is excellent!

Before commiting to a 2020 MF there, you might want to make a trip there before hand to assess the location. Rothrock would also be a nice location. Only rode there once but what I did ride was quite fun and hard!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Before commiting to a 2020 MF there, you might want to make a trip there before hand to assess the location. Rothrock would also be a nice location. Only rode there once but what I did ride was quite fun and hard!
On the plus side of Rothrock, there is free reserved camping (primitive) in the park. Depending on how adventurous you are, the camp spot I had last spring called Bear Meadows could probably hold 10 cars. Could make it more low risk if people bail...