Quantcast

Monkeys in the Military!

Which branch of the Military are you in? (active, reserve or nat. guard)

• Army

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Navy

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Air Force

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Marines

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Coast Guard

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Mutant Ninja Turtles

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
I was just thinking, I wonder how many people here on ridemonkey are in the military (or were at one point). So here we go....

BTW, I'm an army reservist out of Ft. Lewis WA.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
I will be, my dad insists i go to the merchant marine academy.. but i wouldnt mind to drive big boats for 2/3 of a year and take the rest off!

Feb 24, 2004
Greenville, SC
you bastard...i cant believe you would have the audacity to make such a statement. im hoping that its sarcastic and i just didnt pick up on it. further, i hope that you understand that it is only because of the soldier, sailor, marine, and airman that you can make such statements without being tossed in jail. that as robert orwell said, you can only "sleep peaceable in your bed at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on your behalf." that though war is an ugly and horrible thing, as john stewart mill said, "The man who thinks nothing is worth a war, that nothing is more important than his own existence is worthless and only kept free by the exertions of better man than himself. that our founding father john adams (i believe) said, "the tree of liberty must from time to time be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots, for it is its natural manure."

boy...and thats exactly what you are if you cannot grasp why someone would serve...you need to understand that we have an all volunteer military, that everyone of those people chose to serve because they believe in a ideal and a dream greater than themselves. they can understand that sacrifice of those who have gone before and who gave them (and people like yourself) the right to get up everyday and decide their own destiny, their own dreams, and therefore they too feel the need to contribute to our future.

maybe youre one of our friends up in canada and there's still a but too much french in your blood, but if not, then i gotta say that you ought to be embarassed for making such a comment.

grow up and take a real look at all the stuff you enjpy about your everyday life and realize its the people in uniform that get up everyday and make sure that all those things will still be there when you go to bed.

HOOAH

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Originally posted by NoRoadtrippin
you bastard...i cant believe you would have the audacity to make such a statement. im hoping that its sarcastic and i just didnt pick up on it. further, i hope that you understand that it is only because of the soldier, sailor, marine, and airman that you can make such statements without being tossed in jail. that as robert orwell said, you can only "sleep peaceable in your bed at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on your behalf." that though war is an ugly and horrible thing, as john stewart mill said, "The man who thinks nothing is worth a war, that nothing is more important than his own existence is worthless and only kept free by the exertions of better man than himself. that our founding father john adams (i believe) said, "the tree of liberty must from time to time be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots, for it is its natural manure."

boy...and thats exactly what you are if you cannot grasp why someone would serve...you need to understand that we have an all volunteer military, that everyone of those people chose to serve because they believe in a ideal and a dream greater than themselves. they can understand that sacrifice of those who have gone before and who gave them (and people like yourself) the right to get up everyday and decide their own destiny, their own dreams, and therefore they too feel the need to contribute to our future.

maybe youre one of our friends up in canada and there's still a but too much french in your blood, but if not, then i gotta say that you ought to be embarassed for making such a comment.

grow up and take a real look at all the stuff you enjpy about your everyday life and realize its the people in uniform that get up everyday and make sure that all those things will still be there when you go to bed.

HOOAH
The only military person he was talking about was himself..... (he was kidding.)

Feb 24, 2004
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Military people are a bunch of brainwashed morons who couldnt hack it in college.
lemme say something on that too....

every officer in our country's military has graduated from college....most of them with pretty darn good grades...the vast majority of them over the rank of captain (in command of around 130-160) have a master's degree and quite a few have doctorates or a second or third degree. you need to realize what youre talking about before you go shooting off at the mouth and making yourself look dumb.

maybe you ought to give us all a gander at YOUR college transcripts.....

LeeOz

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
NYC
"there's still a but too much french in your blood"

you really are a brainwashed moron :angry:

See I'm French and I live in NYC... If you ever come here I'll be way too happy to leave some Gazzi prints on your retarded face.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by DRB
That was some mighty fine trollin' you did there. We might have to go fishin' when you come east.
77 days yo!

Ill be near you too I think.

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Military people are a bunch of brainwashed morons who couldnt hack it in college.
Hmmm, I'm in the army, in college full time, have a part time job and still find time to have fun.... what are you doing with your life?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by zane
Hmmm, I'm in the army, in college full time, have a part time job and still find time to have fun.... what are you doing with your life?
Well Im in the Marines full time, college part time and still have time to piss of random people on internet forum boards...I happen to like my life.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Well Im in the Marines full time, college part time and still have time to piss of random people on internet forum boards...I happen to like my life.
Yeah but your a journalists so that doesn't really count as being a "real" Marine.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by DRB
Yeah but your a journalists so that doesn't really count as being a "real" Marine.
Oh, come on now. I went to boot camp and I ate an MRE one time.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Now Army National Guard. Offcier Candidate on a State run OCS program. Not too bad, beats sitting around telling old sea stories like they do in the Navy reserve. Active Navy was fun though.

Officer retirement is where it's at, some good dough in my future.

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Originally posted by DRB
Or was this him...
If you ever meet him you will only know how true to life of a picture that is of him. :D

In an ideal world I'd like to server my country but man then you get these dumb(my opinion don't take offense to it) wars like now, no way in hell would I want to be there! I give the guys credit that are there now! But I'd like to serve on my terms, if I feel a war is BS then I choose not to serve, if I feel it's a true threat then I'd be more than happy to protect my country. But of course it's not an ideal world and that would never be possible.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by DRB
Looky here I found a picture of Burly at Boot Camp....
Hey, not quite. But i give you an A for effort.
Stop making this thread about me. :mad:

Big_Papa1080

Village Idiot
Dec 10, 2001
Fairbanks, Alaska
Originally posted by DRB
Yeah but your a journalist so that doesn't really count as being a "real" Marine.
*loud whip crack noise* OWNED
i believe it was seargent hartman from full metal jacket that said it best "what are you? some kinda f*ckin' writer?"

on the other hand, i plan on going into the army and trying for airborne

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
Originally posted by MudGrrl
...........Marines................. :p
I was thinking about joining the Marines, until a Marine told me to join a better service.......

the Air Force

:D
If I had it to do over again, I would've went to college instead of the Marines (5 years active duty as an inpector/instructor of reservists.) As it is, the government paid for 75% of my college tuition while I was in, and the State of Texas paid for 100% of it after that. I have military experience AND a bachelor's degree.

Mani_UT

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
SLC, UT
Originally posted by slcpunk21

But I'd like to serve on my terms, if I feel a war is BS then I choose not to serve, if I feel it's a true threat then I'd be more than happy to protect my country. But of course it's not an ideal world and that would never be possible.
Yeah I am like you on this one..
WAY Too many wars are useless and stupids.
You cannot trust governments when it comes to wars.
That's the one thing I learned from my dad who was in the military and went trough the entire Algerian war before getting ****ed by the French governments that flipflopped halfway through the war.

vogey40

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Puyallup WA
6 and a half years in the Navy. Aviation Machinist Mates Rating.

2 deployments for operation enduring freedom, and 1 deployment for operation Iraqi freedom.

I got out last month and now work as a Navy contractor testing helicopters. Going to join the guard as soon as I get my dd214