Quantcast

Mont Blanc, Qc - grand opening weekend (56k beware)

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
Disclaimer: this is a X-post from AllezY.net

For gravity lovers in the Montreal area, the only destination since a while was Bromont. This summer, a new place emerged on the map. Mont Blanc, about 1h north of Montreal, is the new kid on the block. They decided to open the mountain to bikes in May. In June, they hired 5 full time trailbuilders with deep knowledge of IMBA techniques and gave them 1 conditions: built something that will last. Mathieu Laurin, Team Devinci and many times canadian champ was in charge of the bike park. Benoit Prud'Homme and Laurent Goyet were in charge of the downhill trails.

Being IMBA rep and local bike advocate, we helped the mountain management build a solid offer for the bike lovers. The management made a commitment to the bikers to a) have 10 downhill trails for next spring, b) build exclusively quality content and c) develop challenging XC trails.

The mountain opened in July with 4 downhill trails and the biggest dirt jump park in the province! Last weekend was the official grand opening for the mountain and many peoples were invited. A wallride contest and best-trick contest were organized with 500$ cash. Beer, hot-dog and corn were free for the event. It was a blast!

Flat Black - Who could have believe we were to convert him from XC to gravity lover?!

Mathieu Laurin tweaking the park in the morning before the contests

A little stunt park was built to tests rider's skills. The suspended bridge was really something worth trying!

Lunch time! We locked all our bikes to my car while having a beer (or 2...)

Because of the short notice, barely 15 riders showed up for the dirt jump contests. 250$ for the best trick was won by Mario Garyhunter of Do-Ber-Mann Bikes with a 360 on the firt jump and a 360/one-hand on the second jump. The other 250$ was won by a local for the highest mark on the wallride. We saw many backflip, some sweet x-up, superman, nothing, and few more or less exotic tricks.

By the end of the day, Flat Black was a bit sore. Nothing a beer can't fix!

Best "chicken pass" signage evah!

Over 300 pics available on my gallery at http://www.zygonium.com/gallery/v/ADSVMQ/2006/mtblanc_12aout2006/[/quote]

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I'm very intrigued.... I think I will give it until next year though to let them broaden the horizons a little.... (And Mont Blanc is a little farther than 1 hour from Montreal...... maybe at 90 mph....)

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MMike said:
I'm very intrigued.... I think I will give it until next year though to let them broaden the horizons a little.... (And Mont Blanc is a little farther than 1 hour from Montreal...... maybe at 90 mph....)
Last I heard they were up to 3 trails and a bike park with gigantoid jumps. I am waiting as well.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
MMike said:
Been back to Bromont yet? Curious about the progress on that a-line trail on the back side
Ya I went last weekend. The trails are BEAT. HUge holes everywhere, no dort on many trails. They have gone and started to ad stupid wooden crap everywhere for no reason.

The A line trail has those wooden trench waterbars in it and a bit of a start on some of the berms. I don't see it being ready before the end of the season.

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
MMike said:
From Ahuntsic (corner Fleury/Christophe-Colomb), it's exactly 1h15 @ 110km/h. Take the 15-N and it's on your left just after St-Agathe.

Transcend said:
Last I heard they were up to 3 trails and a bike park with gigantoid jumps. I am waiting as well.
As of today, they have 4 trails officially open for the public and the 5th should be ready for this weekend of the other.

I had the chance to try the new XC trail that start from the top and will end up being a 20-25 minutes enduro all the way to the bottom. Very nice benchcutting work if you ask me.

The target of 10 downhill by this season end is realistic IMO. Access fee is about 28$ for a day of chairlift access / 125$ for the season pass IRC.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Y'all quit tryin' to harsh Hypno's buzz, dudes. I was there to help with the building in the early stages and these guys have a great attitude and the resources dedicated to make this work. Give 'em a chance.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
cool. i'll check out mont blanc on my next trip up north... the guys at the bike shop at bromont told us about the place, but we didn't have time to check it out.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
The day they hit #10 is the day my wallet will suffer a direct blow... :evil:

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
did this guy win the comp?

looks like he is about to come up short here?

have any pics of his winning run?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Echo said:
Y'all quit tryin' to harsh Hypno's buzz, dudes. I was there to help with the building in the early stages and these guys have a great attitude and the resources dedicated to make this work. Give 'em a chance.
:stupid: Jerome is a great guy and puts a LOT of time and energy into these projects! I definitely need to road-trip to Montreal for some more riding! :thumb:

HypNoTic

Man Whore
Aug 3, 2004
Montreal, Qc
TreeSaw said:
:stupid: Jerome is a great guy and puts a LOT of time and energy into these projects! I definitely need to road-trip to Montreal for some more riding! :thumb:
Well, some peoples claim that new places are lame because they have "just a few trails" yet they do absolutely nothing to support them and cry the mountain decide to close because of the lack of support from the local riders. These peoples should not be allowed to ride a bike IMO.

bcd said:
did this guy win the comp?

looks like he is about to come up short here?

have any pics of his winning run?
He's the one that actually got the money with a 360 followed by a 360-one hand. Pics of his final run are not terrible but give a look at my gallery (http://www.zygonium.com/gallery/v/ADSVMQ/2006/mtblanc_12aout2006/?g2_page=21) and you'll find some.

And yes, he did crash solid in the jump a fraction of a second after that pic was taken. Click the thumbnail below.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
HypNoTic said:
Well, some peoples claim that new places are lame because they have "just a few trails" yet they do absolutely nothing to support them and cry the mountain decide to close because of the lack of support from the local riders. These peoples should not be allowed to ride a bike IMO.

Ok.... do we really want to get this argument up and running again? Yep....biking is a "bro" activity. And yep....it's lots of fun. The inherent problem with it is that the people that engage in the sport (lift assisted riding), tend to be younger and poor. There's not a lot of money to be made catering to this demographic. (And don't bother citing Whistler as an example. Nothing here can compare to Whislter in elevation or terrain). Snoqualmie (look it up), is the prime example of this.

That said, it is encouraging that some place other than Bromont wants to give it a go. But before they can expect to charge money for a full blown bike park, they need to have a product to sell. No golf course in the world would open with only four hole, and no grass on the fairway. So all the good vibes and happy thoughts and supporting the cause and that really amounts to a steaming pile of....JACK SQUAT!

Which is why I will chose to wait until they are fully up and running. It's my right as a consumer.....