Quantcast

More AM than FR, but...new ride content. [o]

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004

Only could do a little urban playtime this afternoon, but so far, it's ****in' sweet. Smoooooooth. 27# right on, according to the local shop scale. A pound lighter than the old. It could easily get lighter, but that would involve some more money and compromises to tha parts I like to run, which I'm not willing to accept. For a Not a DH beat the crap out of it hardtail, but just a tough, general take a beating do it all bike. Other than the slightly longer TT (only size change i wanted.) it felt just like the old ride. Beautimous.

Everything bolted up/threaded in/dropped in just fine. Gene faced and chased things before he shipped it out. Nicely shaped and minimal in look gussets. Me likey the aesthetics.

The lowly chainhanger. An oft overlooked feature, and a nice touch to me. I wanted one. Not nearly as many bikes come with them these days. My bikes usually go on top of the car, on the rack. The chain hanger is nice for those once in a while times of throwing it in the back instead, since I generally take the wheels off for that.

38mm diamater downtube, 22.2mm chainstays, both with 1.2mm thick walls. Nice and stiff, lotsa' weld area. The rest of the frame tubing is 0.9mm thick. Braced disc brake side stays and the headtube junctions are the only actual gussets.

Fatties Fit Fine, to steal from Surly for a moment. That's a 2.6" Kenda there, with a bit of room for more. Same clearance as the old frame. That's about average size for the tires I like to run, though sometimes a bit larger or smaller for specific rides.

It'll get a nice shakedown cruise tomorrow afternoon at Sprain Ridge, just over the border from me, in N.Y. 27# near exact per the local shop scale. It was fluctuating between a bit under and a bit over.

Only new thing needed during the parts swap was a new seat collar/clamp; different downtube diameters. Everything swapped just fine, and the old frame is halfway through it's transformation to a rigid SS playbike.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
welds seem very nice. light bike too, looks very fun. i have that cycles gladiator picture framed in my room by the way.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Why in the last pic does it look like there is a tube connecting the top tube to the seat tube?
The bike in the last pic is the steel frame that this new ti one replaced. It's got a slightly lower toptube, and the secondary tube reinforces the seattube/toptube junction.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Can you fit Surly Endomorphs onto that frame? ;)

Or 3.0 Gazzis?

Damned Snow!
think i can get a 2.7-2.8 maybe, depending on what make. a bit easier, running it 1/9; no rear tire buzz when in the granny.

the kenda 2.6 kinetics i'm running fit with room to spare, though i'm also not running a super wide rim. yeah, damn snow. not a ton down here by me, but it's melting everything into a sloppy mess.

capt. crispy: xacd built, with gene spicer of spicer cycles acting as the middleman. he builds his own steel and alu, buty farms his ti out. i've had steel from him, and felt ok about going overseas with this one, particularly since it's still throwing business his way. he had a lot of different suggestions for me on this one, though we didn't stray very far from my original ideas.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
There's 'something' about that bike.

Pretty, precise - yes. Custom - definitely the key, but it's got an aura. Excuse me for being weird, but some bikes just exude 'bikeness' and that one is on fire.

In other words: VERY nice.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
There's 'something' about that bike.

Pretty, precise - yes. Custom - definitely the key, but it's got an aura. Excuse me for being weird, but some bikes just exude 'bikeness' and that one is on fire.

In other words: VERY nice.
Thanks man. The steel version is/was an extremely fun bike. I have no doubt this one will be just a little bit nicer. Freakin' sloppy and crusty snow around here is preventing a really good dirt shakedown, though.

I'm no big hucker; just like steep stuff, and tight/twisty/rooty/rocky techy stuff. This kind of ride works beautifully on that kind of stuff.