Quantcast

More D3 info..

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
It is one of the worst helmets that I have seen come out of TLD. Hopefully it performs as expected.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Sorry to make an actually serious post... but, I wonder how the protection of these helmets match up against the POC full face helmets. It says there is 1/4" more foam for protection on the D3 compared to the D2.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
I believe I'll be sticking with the D2 thank you very much.

Paint doesn't bother me (they will just be custom painted anyway), but the shape and lines of that helmet are just not as nice and clean as the D2.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
I believe I'll be sticking with the D2 thank you very much.

Paint doesn't bother me (they will just be custom painted anyway), but the shape and lines of that helmet are just not as nice and clean as the D2.
It looks much worse in person.

My D2 vents pretty well and has a great look to it. A little more protection would be nice but that's about it.

Congrats to all of the guys that buy it, protection wise it should be amazing.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Congrats to all of the guys that buy it, protection wise it should be amazing.
Got to protect the goods.

I will be getting one. Pretty pumped to feel the difference between my D2 and a D3 combined with my Leatt.

Fingers crossed I can get my hands on a blank carbon one.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Got to protect the goods.

I will be getting one. Pretty pumped to feel the difference between my D2 and a D3 combined with my Leatt.

Fingers crossed I can get a blank carbon one.
I don't think whatever in my head is god anymore.:D

We'll see when I have one in my hands and get to take a good look at it other than in pinkbike photos.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
I will definitely be investing in one of these. Don't really care about the colours too much. Can always remove the paint.
although I would like the raw CF finish like this one that was shown in the D3 video...

Last edited:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
why still only the removable cheek pads??

and how much more are those 12 extra vents going to do with the slow speeds of DH? but $450 isnt too much more then the D2 right now thankfully.

Last edited:

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I had not seen the helmet till last night, it is so wicked looking in person, and light. And stoked to finally have a bike helmet that fits and is comfortable.
They hit the ball out of the park on this one. Well done to the TLD team.

(disclaimer: not sponsurrrred by TLD)

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I tried D2 at the shop... it didn't fit my head :|
I hope D3 will... Red&Blue is OK... raw CF would be rad :)

fortenndu

Turbo Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
Boone, NC
Lets get some info on how it works with the leatt. I really want more protection for my head but it has to go well with the leatt or I'm not buying it.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
So heres the question.

Considering that the D3 will be a one hit and trash it helmet, why would you bother buying it over a 661 thats half the price? Or a POC thats the same price, but is able to take multiple hits?

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Sorry for maybe irritating question :) as I'm no downhiller but I read RM's DH forum because people discussing here ussually provide qualified, experienced and/or technically correct information.
Why are you so hot after this helmet ? :-) I watched that video from start to an end, and there was NO information provided that could tell me why D3 is so better than D2. It is only:thumb: 100g heavier than D2 :), probably that's why they decided to use Ti insted of Alu. Well it should be safer because of 1/4" of expanded polystyrene added. Why don't they present some laboratory crash-test ?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
So heres the question.

Considering that the D3 will be a one hit and trash it helmet, why would you bother buying it over a 661 thats half the price? Or a POC thats the same price, but is able to take multiple hits?
You have hit your head too many times in thinking ANY helmet should be used after 'multiple hits'. I have a 661 moto and DH helmet, can't use them any more because they give me a headache within 3 minutes of use. POC seems nice, a tad to 'apple ipod' looking for me...and it has too euro of a shape, I think I would feel like some crazy megaavalanche dude in one.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
haha "apple iPod", I totally agree! Very strange euro styling. BUT, the Cortez DH is actually marketed as a multi-hit helmet. Kinda neat I think, and the first time I've heard of that.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
multi-hit helmet? wow, no thanks
Why? Not hyping POC or anything, but seems like a good idea to me. I've watched a guy destroy a TLD moto helmet first ride. Pricey if you do that a couple times a year.

If I understand right, the reason that current helmets are one-hit is because of the material used in them. Theres another similar type of material (the styrofoam bit that isn't styrofoam, but I dunno the technical term) that will regain its shape somewhat after a hit. Maybe thats what these guys are using, i dunno. Regardless, it wouldn't be on the market if it wasn't safe.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
true, it wouldnt be on the market if it wasnt safe.
ive hit my noggin a few times with my D2 and i know its time for a replacement....like a few years over due.

ph4se_1

Chimp
Jun 17, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
haha troy lee really have talked some total crap in that marketing video...this new lid is just a lighter version of their moto lids.pretty sure the giro remedy carbon(which i use as an example because it looks similar) will do just as good,if not a better job at protecting your head than the d3 and at a much,much better price.or just buy a troy lee moto lid and save yourself from the marketing bull**** that tld are throwing out about the d3!

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Wow, didn't see this one coming (rolls eyes) TLD gets the HYPE machine going maximum overdrive; by releasing photos and videos of their new and improved helmets, in the guiding hands of some of the fastest riders in the world. The pros rocking very good looking simple helmets with hardly any graphics and lots of carbon.

Then Troy simply craps all over it with absolute rubbish for graphics. Nice work fellas!

Just make a simple one, raw carbon with the TLD seal small on both sides. Easy why won't they listen (and I am sure I am not alone when I say; for the love of little baby jeebus, stop with the damn flames and tribal ULTIMATE FIGHTER graphics)

does it come with a bottle of jack and a line of coke? TLD's lids have the best shape but the graphics are very um... lifted truck, tribal tattoo, Jägerbomb, IQ of 60, crowd look.

Last edited:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
The reason helmets are one hit use is because the impact material (EPS in this case) selected does not rebound. This is critical to lowering head injury since any rebound will result in either a higher peak acceleration or longer impact duration.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Man, what the hell.......Helmets are seriously looking like **** these days. Im all for a Nice looking helmet, but damn. I am glad to see I am not the only one thinking this, I jsut cant see paying as much as they<industry,not just TLD>are asking for what isnt a huge breakthrough product, just painted all pretty<not really>.

Give me a simple, clean, Helmet that works, Life will be good. I will use it, break it, and replace it.