Quantcast

More D3 info..

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
Man, what the hell.......Helmets are seriously looking like **** these days. Im all for a Nice looking helmet, but damn. I am glad to see I am not the only one thinking this, I jsut cant see paying as much as they<industry,not just TLD>are asking for what isnt a huge breakthrough product, just painted all pretty<not really>.

Give me a simple, clean, Helmet that works, Life will be good. I will use it, break it, and replace it.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Couple more D3 details:

Fact:
- Emergency cheek pad removal tabs
- Added EPS foam for more protection. Approximately 1/4 inch more all around.
- Added more vents for air flow. The D2 features 8 vents, the D3 has 20.
- Aerodynamics have been increased for less wind resistance.
- All screws, bolts, and buckles are Titanium.
- 3 years in development.
- Only 100 grams heavier than the D2.

Word on the street:
-Built in speaker ports for headphones with cable routing

evolutionbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
Baltimore
In the video he refers to the "speakers" and you can see some of the speakers and wiring in his hands and on the desk. That would be a nice feature.

Quote from the news write up on the TLD website

"For the graphics, Troy collaborated with Sam Hill and Steve Peat for their signature models. The Flame model uses some classic TLD flames along with race-inspired stripes and other elements. There will also be a plain Carbon style offered in the future as a Limited Edition."

so there you go plain carbon for those who have color issues.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Last Friday night, in a crowded BC bar called "Savage Beagle", Troy Lee proudly unveiled the D3, the next generation of the popular TLD Daytona helmet, to action sports enthusiasts and media professionals attending Crankworx 2009 at Whistler.

DirtTV D3 Launch Video >

It's been over 10 years since Troy first introduced the D2, and during that time TLD has accumulated valuable feedback from racers and customers, and studied the latest technology to design this helmet. TLD spent the last 3 years refining the design and improving the features that make this helmet unique.

D3 Tech Video >

The biggest improvements over other helmets are increased safety, with a thicker, more protective EPS, increased airflow with 20 vents, improved fit and comfort, and the most obvious feature, the distinctive futuristic styling.

The D3's EPS gains several millimeters of thickness in critical parts of the helmet, which greatly improved the impact testing results. The D3 also boasts a Dual Density Shock Pad System, a unique shock absorption system developed by strategically adding EVA padding to channels within the EPS. This system helps absorb smaller impacts and also greatly improves the helmet's comfort.

Another key safety feature of the D3 is the Emergency Cheek Pad Removal System, which allows medical personnel to safely remove the helmet of an injured rider by sliding out the cheekpads using a convenient pull tab.

The shell incorporates uni-weave carbon fiber, along with Kevlar and fiberglass for superior strength and a lightweight feel. The helmet also utilizes Titanium hardware.

Riders with larger head sizes will be happy to learn that the D3 shell was designed with them in mind. TLD put a lot of emphasis on a comfortable fit, especially in the larger sizes, and really succeeded in this approach. The wider range of shell sizes means the D3 is available in true XL and XXL sizes, a significant improvement over the D2.

For the graphics, Troy collaborated with Sam Hill and Steve Peat for their signature models. The Flame model uses some classic TLD flames along with race-inspired stripes and other elements. There will also be a plain Carbon style offered in the future as a Limited Edition.

The D3 helmet also has a unique visor designed specifically to be lightweight and aerodynamic, and to enhance the improved ventilation. Each D3 helmet comes with an extra matching visor, a premium TLD helmet bag, and a 3-year limited warranty. The US retail price will be $450.
dig it.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Another key safety feature of the D3 is the Emergency Cheek Pad Removal System, which allows medical personnel to safely remove the helmet of an injured rider by sliding out the cheekpads using a convenient pull tab.
Does this mean I'm gonna have to wear a bracelet like diabetics do.
"Warning: In the event rider is snoring, pull tabs on inside of helmet to remove comatose rider safely."

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
The real question is if they figured out the sizing already. If your head measures right in the middle of what they say is a medium, does that still mean you buy the large?

Someone please buy these guys a tape measure...

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
So much reminds me of a shoei VFX-W that I now have. Very similar. For anyone looking for a "smaller profile" MX helmet it is all that.

Shoei VFX-W
Shell in AIM +

EPS liner system with two densities

EQRS (Emergency Quick Release System) simplifies helmet removal by removing the cheek pads in the event of an accident

Double-D ring

4 different outer shell sizes

Sizes XS-XXL

1270gr (+/- 30gr) at size "M"

Detachable and washable 3D Max-Dry cheek pads

Detachable and washable 3D Max-Dry centre pad

Detachable and washable Max-Dry chin strap cover

Supa8

Monkey
May 3, 2002
Middle of MA
Quote from the news write up on the TLD website
There will also be a plain Carbon style offered in the future as a Limited Edition."

so there you go plain carbon for those who have color issues.
Some pics on TLD's site of that version as well in the media section. Waaay nice and clean with only a few pinstripes here and there. Glad they came out with this helmet.

Last edited:

Santa Maria

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
Austria
i think all the graphics on nearly troy lees are horrible, dont know what the big deal is.
disagree... i find every year at least on colour scheme that i like.

The D3 with the flames and red clolour sheme matches my TLD kits perfect, where can i buy one:D

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
So much reminds me of a shoei VFX-W that I now have. Very similar. For anyone looking for a "smaller profile" MX helmet it is all that.
Heck, I'd rather pick up that Shoei over the new D3, at the prices they're charging.
If Shoei could be bothered, the VFX-W would be awesome if they could adapt the design and make it into a bike helmet(more vents, slightly smaller profile, less weight, etc).

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
I find the new TLD graphics fine. They´re full of colours and funny details imo. You guys are growing into grumpy old farts :D

I´m getting the new D3 as soon as it´s available for sure. A safer helmet is much appreciated by me. I just had a crazy bad crash last weekend and was airlifted to the hospital. I craced both the outside and the inside of my D2 carbon helmet. My head is still spinning and I´m having troubble focusing for more than a short time. Gotta lay down now, cause my head hurts after typing this short message.

I´m even thinking of checking out the TLD Air helmet. Anyone else using this one? How´s it?

Cheers

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
More D3 info thanks to Decline:

Troy Lee Designs has released information on their new D3 helmet. The new lid features a completely new carbon/composite shell and numerous new features. There will be four graphic schemes, including Steve Peat (shown) and Sam Hill models as well as a red and blue scheme.

Here are the full technical details:
&#8226; Technologically Advanced Carbon/Composite Shell Construction
&#8226; Digital Wind Tunnel Tested, Aerodynamic Shell Design
&#8226; Revolutionary Injection Molded Air Intake System
&#8226; 20 High Flow Intake And Exhaust Ports For Maximum Ventilation
&#8226; Dual Density Shock Pad System&#8482;
&#8226; Deep Eps Channeling For Optimal Airflow
&#8226; Strategically Placed Interior Shock Pads For Comfort And Durability
&#8226; Removable, Washable Mx-Style Padded Liner
&#8226; With Coolmax&#8482; And Dri-Lex&#8482; Moisture Wicking Materials
&#8226; Quick-Release Cheek Pads For Emergency HeLmet Removal
&#8226; Purpose-Built Internal Cavities For Audio Integration
&#8226; Full Incremental Sizing Based On Motorsports for Greater Range Of Fitment
&#8226; Titanium Hardware For Reduced Weight
&#8226; Includes 2 Lightweight, Streamlined Visors
&#8226; High Quality Helmet Bag To Protect Your Investment
&#8226; Exceeds Bicycle And Snow Certifications: Cpsc 1203, Ce En1077, Ce En 1078, Astm F1952, Astm F2032, Astm F2040
&#8226; Not For Use With Motorized Vehicles

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
Not seeing any pictures of the Raw Carbon D3 that was previously mentioned? Anyone know if that's really going to be an option, or limited run? I'd take raw carbon over any of those.

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Local distributor on Eurobike (most probably German), told me, D3 would be available (locally) within 2 weeks, I think... SRP is about 400-450eur! :O crazy!

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Why? Not hyping POC or anything, but seems like a good idea to me. I've watched a guy destroy a TLD moto helmet first ride. Pricey if you do that a couple times a year.

If I understand right, the reason that current helmets are one-hit is because of the material used in them. Theres another similar type of material (the styrofoam bit that isn't styrofoam, but I dunno the technical term) that will regain its shape somewhat after a hit. Maybe thats what these guys are using, i dunno. Regardless, it wouldn't be on the market if it wasn't safe.
Yeah, it sucks to wreck a helmet, especially a brand new one...but no matter what it's ALWAYS better than the alternative.

It isn't like the helmet manufacturers are holding out on us with some revolutionary 'cure'. multi-impact 'helmets' typically have a warning sticker that says something to the affect of 'this is a hardhat not a helmet, always use proper safety gear'. The foam used in these helmets (Brock Foam) is really neat but it can't absorb impacts as well as expanded polystyrene. It may be great for 'hardhats' or for multi/low-impact potential sports but it's not the material of choice for MX or DH that's for sure.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
The design seems pretty cool, but whoever approved the opening line of that 'promo' video must be totally radical. "The D3 . . . you can just imagine how badass it is."

They should just print that in giant letters on all of their clothing.

nolson450

Chimp
May 26, 2009
Introducing the D3 Killer....the 2010 Fox V3 Carbon.....

Lighter than the D3 @ 1154 grams(2.5 lbs), DOT & SNELL certified, $425 MSRP

Last edited:

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
And ugly as hell?
are you the fashion police now? lol just playing.

i don't think the fox lid looks THAT bad. Most of the moto helmets look exactly the same. Right now it's coming down to functional shape in terms of air flow and protection over looks. even the motorcycle helmets are getting more and more similar in terms of fins for air flow and down force. It all comes down to what fits your head correctly. They all have different shapes and all fit differently. Who cares what the shape looks like, fit should be the number one determining factor...then add cool paint on top of it :) I know myself, I fit in Arai lids but not Shoei or Suomy.

i'm more curious to see what the TLD quality control is like. I can honestly say that when the SE helmet first came out, the quality control was horrible. I personally know a few major dealers around here who dropped them for that reason. In terms of bike helmets, I've never seen a sizing or quality issue with the D2s. Hopefully the D3s are the same.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
I´m getting the D3, but on thing I´m worried about are the air vents in the front. Those on top, over yer goggels. I think these will easily fill up with dirt´n stuff cause their pretty big and fully exposed. There´s no easy way to clean these as I see it. (Pressure wash it from behind to flush stuff out might be an option, lol)

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
Holy jebus!.. I just found the D3 pricing. Anybody else finding it stupidly expensive?
I think it's too much, it's the most expensive bike-helmet I've seen by alot, and it tops almost all mx-helmets too. At CRC it's almost 750 USD, which is insane.

Sverre

Monkey
Aug 26, 2004
Norwaii
I agree. I really do want one, but that price tag is beyond anything imo. I really cant see TLD selling many units if this price sticks.