Quantcast

More FluidrideCup#2 / ProGRT#1 Pix

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
You know i understand your commitment to the NW scene and that camera's cost money and everything as well as your time and gas and batteries etc. But it kinda sucks that to get a copy of my photo that i can show to my family and friends that is not even that great (not photo quality but my riding not that great) its $4-6 bucks. I just want a JPG of the file so I can email it to friends and family etc. :( Maybe I am mis-understanding your website but it seems like i can't save a jpg without paying for it. I did have to spend money on gas registration etc as well to get my ass out there. I am not looking to use to photo for a magazine I run or anything like that.

Again maybe I am missing something but wouldn't just a name and copyright stamp on each photo be enough? Also if your SELLING my photo (and others) don't you need to have my written permission?

Im not mad just kinda miffed that I can't DL a picture of myself that you did not have written consent to take without paying or pictures of friends to further advance the sport. Please feel free to correct me! I do think that if your printing a photo out and mailing it to me sure then I deserve to pay for it one way or another. But why are you not advertising that you are SELLING photos from your site?

Will be happy to edit this post if I am missing something. Other then that I guess its just hard to support these kind of practices. For the record the pictures are amazing. But so are plenty of other peoples....

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
I guess this question can be directed to HeyLady who posted photos and is selling them as well as Bones Over Metal who in their website said that photos would be available for purchase.

This is my response to the downloading issue. I am a photographer and if I take a photo (person, place or thing) and wether or not I put a tag on it, it's my prerogative as the photographer to make that available for download or not. You'd be amazed at how many photos get downloaded and then claimed as their own or show up on different websites, mags, etc without permission of the photographer. Not saying that you would do that, but it's reality.

As far as written permission that comes down to the legalese of the event. Typically if you are in an event and signed the contract you have probably given permission that your likeness can and will be used.

You brought up a very good question though and I wouldn't edit.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
A couple things. First Five is right on all accounts, except that Bones Over Metal is not selling any content. I promote photographers for access to their content. The Photographer is free to do what they do.

Desul, if someone took a photo of you and then sent it to a magazine where everyone made money off of it, then you may have a point, I say may, because you may have signed a release to the photo when you signed the other releases. It's common practice. If the photographer is only selling to you, you then are paying for the service of having your photo taken. This is like being on a ride at the fair and having the guy coming up to you and saying your photo will be on this or that website for you to purchase.

If you don't like that your photo is on someone's website for any reason, I think you have a right to ask for it to be removed. However, to be upset with someone for taking a picture and asking you to pay is a little over the line. Just say no and move on. If you need a photo for your family bring a camera and have a friend take a photo.

Also, the photographers and video guys that document and help tell the stories of our sport rarely get any compensation for what they do. Non of the event money comes to them, etc. Yet arguably they are an important part to helping grow the sport we all love. When someone asks you to pay for something you don't have to, but please (and I mean this with all kindness and with no attitude) don't give them crap for it. Our, family's do that enough.

dirtmover

Monkey
Jun 14, 2005
Dave,

Stop your whinning. You could always have a friend come with you and snap shots of your riding.

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
A couple things. First Five is right on all accounts, except that Bones Over Metal is not selling any content. I promote photographers for access to their content. The Photographer is free to do what they do.
Oh I see, you're not selling photos, Warren is or any of the other photographers that are on your site - my bad. :biggrin:

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
Oh I see, you're not selling photos, Warren is or any of the other photographers that are on your site - my bad. :biggrin:
Yeah, I get photos and they get a link back. Sure, it may seem that they are staff, or even freelance. But, we are at this point simply just helping each other out. Back scratching!

ggrubb

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
Endub Empire
Again maybe I am missing something but wouldn't just a name and copyright stamp on each photo be enough? Also if your SELLING my photo (and others) don't you need to have my written permission?

Im not mad just kinda miffed that I can't DL a picture of myself that you did not have written consent to take without paying or pictures of friends to further advance the sport. Please feel free to correct me! I do think that if your printing a photo out and mailing it to me sure then I deserve to pay for it one way or another. But why are you not advertising that you are SELLING photos from your site?
Sorry I'm late on checking the posts.....

Let me first say.. Are you serious? Is the issue that I'm selling pictures, or that you can't scam a high-res copy for free? I'm not trying to be a knob, but in a nutshell..... No, I don't need your permission.

At the races you attend, ODS or the land owner has not placed a restriction on shooting photos at the venue, they are open to the public. I have a business license for media sales and distribution. Posting photos on websites for the purpose of selling/licensing of images is not a form of publication that requires a release. The courts call this a "vehicle of information," which is a generalize heading for display and sales for things like "art" or "literature". The photos are not being used in a commercial context (yet) and no malice is intended by their public display.

I researched this a bit when producing the NWDC DVDs (which are also for sale). There are exceptions to every rule, but for the most part these are the guidelines that I follow, and try to do right by all involved.

---G

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Let me first say.. Are you serious? Is the issue that I'm selling pictures, or that you can't scam a high-res copy for free? I'm not trying to be a knob, but in a nutshell..... No, I don't need your permission.

At the races you attend, ODS or the land owner has not placed a restriction on shooting photos at the venue, they are open to the public. I have a business license for media sales and distribution. Posting photos on websites for the purpose of selling/licensing of images is not a form of publication that requires a release. The courts call this a "vehicle of information," which is a generalize heading for display and sales for things like "art" or "literature". The photos are not being used in a commercial context (yet) and no malice is intended by their public display.

---G
Yes I was serious, and got a serious answer. I now am educated on the issue and understand it, I am not in the photo/film industry and un-aware of how this works. I think that yes it would be REDICULOUS for you or Mark or anyone else to come take photos at an event and not make money off of it. You guys (and other pro photographers gotta pay the bills) If my intent was to get all of your photos and then print them on my own at home or something so I can have a poster of (enter fav pro rider here) yah thats stupid and I should be slapped for taking your work. As if I wanted you to print me out a bunch of photos and send them to me for free.

I think between you and Mark you gave some of us who don't know and now we do know. There are plenty of ways for me to download a photo off a website and erase the name tag off the bottom. This has happened to friends in the past and their photos have ended up in a magazine and it was like WTF?

Pip asking questions is not whining its a lack of knowladge/stupidity/idiocy or one of the following. MY BAD :poster_oops: Now I know and can move on with life and ordering the photos etc.

Thank you for the answers from everyone :imstupid: and now a little less stupid.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Also, the photographers and video guys that document and help tell the stories of our sport rarely get any compensation for what they do. Non of the event money comes to them, etc. Yet arguably they are an important part to helping grow the sport we all love. When someone asks you to pay for something you don't have to, but please (and I mean this with all kindness and with no attitude) don't give them crap for it. Our, family's do that enough.
HAHAHAA

and again thanks for clarifying things Mark