Quantcast

More rim babble

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Yes you can run tubes on the D3.1, but you should know in advance that the 321 is both significantly wider and significantly stronger than the D3.1 (and about 70g heavier)

I run the D3.1s and have been perfectly happy with them... but they will not Quite hold up to the abuse that the 321 will, and they'll give you a rounder tire profile.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
How. I've heard that before but never believed it. Kind of irrelevant as any rim worth having is anodized anyway. But its just a micro thin layer of oxidized aluminum. Colour can be added to the process to make it black or any other colour. There used to be something called hard anodized, at least I heard people refer to that but they weren't able to tell us at the shop what that meant or how it was different.

Hard anodizing just reduces the grain size of the Al2O3.

Anodizing has zip for tensile strength compared to the base metal and it's a few mils thick. It provides some degree of protection from corrosion and might resist rim brake wear a tad longer than bare aluminum, but to the strength of the rim it is going to add zip, zero, nada.

J

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Mavic told me that it does make the rim stronger, but not by much. It hardens the outer portion slightly, making it less suseptable(sp?) to scratches which can leed to cracks. Or something like that.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by Repack
Mavic told me that it does make the rim stronger, but not by much. It hardens the outer portion slightly, making it less suseptable(sp?) to scratches which can leed to cracks. Or something like that.
Actually, having the stiff outer layer can cause cracks to propogate, especially around the spoke holes. Most DH rims won't last long enough for that to happen anyway, but anodizing reduces the fatigue life of a part.

For rim brake options, anodizing reduces the friction between pads and rims, so you'll see most modern brake-able rims have the anodizing machined away.

So anodizing rims is basically purely for cosmetics.