Quantcast

More rumors?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
~~o~~

2008 Fox F29

29" fork. this particular one is based around Gary Fisher's Genesis 2 geometry, which more or less means it's got 46mm of rake instead of the standard 39mm, or whatever you typically find.

i have no idea if they plan to make it in a "traditional" rake. i do know that the G2 stuff rides pretty damn well and you may find it worthwhile to consider any of the G2 offerings (currently available only from Manitou, but you can add this to the mix next year) next time you find yourself shopping for a new fork.

don't ask me about weight, travel, or how it rides. i don't have a scale handy, i didn't take the time to measure one today (i can tomorrow), and i'm not allowed to ride these. fox made sure to put plenty of stickers on the boxes and steerers that said so. "fox racing shox prototype!"

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Interesting that it is post mount as well. Maybe that's an April Fool's joke...Manipoo disguised as a Fox...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
hrmmmm.......this could be happening.

We'll soon have a 29er Minute to give a go and with the Big S getting in the game, I can't see Fox staying out.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
so what is 26er offset?

new 29er fisher offset?

are people thinking its better?

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I read 46mm on "that other forum".

Makes sense. Let Brant and On One do all the "dirty" work on the geometry and Fox swoops in and cleans up in the end.

Oh well, this will be a welcomed addition in the fork arena for 29"ers.

Exclusive to Fisher/Trek for the first year too, like the Reba was.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
"Tuned by Bontrager" label references the custom G2 offset of 46mm. Fox will also produce a 29-inch fork for Fisher's revamped line of 29ers for 2008. The new offset is a whopping 51mm, which is achieved with the same 46mm crown of the 26-inch G2 fork paired to a specific 29er lower casting that makes up the final 5mm of offset.

wow 51mm.

here are some numbers on what i am doing with dh forks.

26x2.5 is 27'' tall
boxxer fork rake is 42mm, 888 is 43.5, fox 40 is 44 so i averaged.
my 29 fork offest would have to be 2.125/54mm to have the same trail numbers as 43x27''

HA---43mm 27''------43mm 29er-----my WB is 31mm!! 29er.

63---5-----------------5.5--------------6
64---4.7---------------5.2--------------5.7
65---4.4---------------4.9--------------5.4
66---4.1---------------4.6--------------5.1
67---3.9---------------4.3--------------4.8

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Hmmmm.......which would you prefer to ride??

This one?

Or this one:

I am partial to the looks of the Trek but would prefer it to be a dual 29er rather than a 96er.

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
I have nothing against Fisher, but the HiFi's are not attractive bikes, and they need to come up with something better than a recycled Sugar suspension design with added chainstay pivots. I was hoping they'd come out with a decent complete fully trailbike, but I'm going to pass on these, Fox shocks or not...

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
I have nothing against Fisher, but the HiFi's are not attractive bikes, and they need to come up with something better than a recycled Sugar suspension design with added chainstay pivots. I was hoping they'd come out with a decent complete fully trailbike, but I'm going to pass on these, Fox shocks or not...
Trek/Fisher has an extensive history of not being able/not wanting to hire a good suspension engineer. And yet they remain incredibly popular. :think:

Thylacine

Monkey
May 9, 2002
Steve Irwins Bungalow
I wish I could be arsed digging through my old MBAs to find that picture of Fisher before he hired a fashion consultant. It's a classic - ill fitting suit, coke bottle classes, balding shiney head.

Come to think of it, exactly like a Fisher FS bike.

Manitou Minute 29. Black or white, 41 or 48mm of offset. Although Brant may have been prudent enough to actually rethink the rake of 29er forks, I don't think he'll admit he invented anything or did anything revolutionary. It only takes a minute to throw four numbers into a trail calculator.

Attachments

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
all these new forks i sure wish they would have gone 120 front.

it wouls have been so easy.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Trek/Fisher has an extensive history of not being able/not wanting to hire a good suspension engineer. And yet they remain incredibly popular. :think:
Well, they hired Jose Gonzalez last spring. He knows what he is doing.... There is a distinct corporate culture at Trek that is very reticent to embrace change however...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Holy Crap that's hot! Where did you find that image?? That's one screaming fast looking bike right there.

It also looks like the Minute 29er fork will come in at 120mm and also have a thru axle. Nice!

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Call me jealous of the Mavic marketing machine but what is the big deal about the Crossmax 29 wheels? Is it just about a legitimacy benchmark because they are UST? Get lighter, standard component wheels, for less money and very likely to be stiffer/stronger by visiting your local custom builder.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Call me jealous of the Mavic marketing machine but what is the big deal about the Crossmax 29 wheels? Is it just about a legitimacy benchmark because they are UST? Get lighter, standard component wheels, for less money and very likely to be stiffer/stronger by visiting your local custom builder.
I agree the system wheelsets are not the way to go...but if they are building 29er X-Max wheels, individual rims are probably not too far off and that will be awesome.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Stop the Hate, actually I have ridden the 26" Hifi hard for a day and I thought it was one of the best feeling duallies I had ever ridden, even with the little wheels, and as for Niner I love their hardtails but I am not sold on their sus design placing the pivot under the BB just asking for trouble.......

jbogner

Monkey
May 8, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Good for you. I own a Fisher 29er hardtail, and spent a day on a 293 a couple years ago. I have nothing against the brand (I've owned three Fishers over the past decade). But there are much better suspension designs out there. I'd love to save $$$ and stick with a Fisher fully, but this design does not compell me to do that...

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I don't know a darn thing about the old Sugars or what have you, but I did take out the new Hi Fi Carbon on the Braille Trail at Nisene Marks and it was awesome. You know, when the bike just does it thing, and you don't notice it, that's the mark of a fine design in my eyes. Sure, it helps if it looks like something you'd like, ( and have 29 inch wheels!), but the main thing is performance.

If Fisher can translate that kind of performance to a 29"er full suspension design then I'd have a very hard time looking at something else. Maybe a Leviathan or the new JET 9 would be better, but I'll wait to see first.

And as far as the comment about the "corporate culture" at Trek goes, you've got to be kidding, right? I mean, one guy.....one guy by the name of Travis Brown basically convinces the whole marketing department to run a line of 69"ers. If that's not a bold move, I don't know what is. Stupid move, maybe- but definitely bold!

I actually got to talk to some of the product engineers, designers, and marketing people last week. They are always seeking a better way to do all kinds of things. As far as suspension goes, I think the Trek company is trying to shed the late 90's/ early 2000's image of changing their suspension designs every other year to one of evolution/ refinement. Anybody remember the "Y" frames, VRS, or STP designs? See what I mean?

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
#1. Not so much a rumor, but Sun Ringle' is coming out with a 29"er All Mountain wheelset called the "High Rider" that weighs in north of 2400 grams for the set. That tells me it's got a pretty wide, beefy rim. No other specs or a price yet.

#2 Cannondale will have four spec levels of the F-29 for '08. Also, it will finally have the 1 FG single speed in 29"er form with a Lefty fork. The big rumor here is the possibility of a new 29"er Scalpel.

#3. "The Big Fatty" tire that is supposed to be something around 2.6- 2.8 inches wide is incognito as of now, but I'm betting that a certain someone is currently riding prototypes around Grand Junction CO as we speak.

#4. SRAM/Rock Shox is being super quiet about any new 29"er fork developements, but I know there is a longer offset Reba out there being tested and with the other manufacturers jumping in, it makes sense that Rock Shox might up the ante with a longer travel, all mountain 29"er fork. The appearance of the meatier tire and beefier wheelset above means a fork can't be far off, me thinks!

#5. I'll start a rumor here and say that the 29"er market will see more FS designs from bigger companies for '08. Also an expansion from others will be seen in the hardtail front suspended market with price points going well below the $1000.00 mark. The new Spinner and RST front forks in the 29"er flavor will help this become a reality. The FS market will be going longer travel, AM/FR and even a DH bike or two will be seen at Interbike.

You heard it here first!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I wonder if we'll see some 29ers from Marin bikes (weren't they rumored to be jumping in as well).

Think Jamis might do a FS 29er after the Exile and Dakota AL 29ers they produced this year?

What about a Haro FS 29er? Or will that be a thing of the past with Haro now that the guy pushing the 29er thing has moved on to a different company?

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I wonder if we'll see some 29ers from Marin bikes (weren't they rumored to be jumping in as well).
It's a fact. Marin is definitely coming out with a hardtail 29"er or two and we may even gety to see them at The Big Wheeled Ballyhoo. Stay tuned!

Think Jamis might do a FS 29er after the Exile and Dakota AL 29ers they produced this year?
Jamis is pretty stoked on their 29"er line up and they should be. Pretty nice bikes and spec'ed well. I am not sure about an FS model from them just yet. The R&D required saps alot of capital from a company that has to be wise in how it spends it's limited cash. I would bet on an expansion of the hardtail line, if anything. Maybe even a "monster crosser", which I can see Jamis doing in a heartbeat.

What about a Haro FS 29er? Or will that be a thing of the past with Haro now that the guy pushing the 29er thing has moved on to a different company?
You're talking about Mike Varley, the guy that pretty much put the 29"er on the map at Haro. He's starting his own retail shop now, I hear. Anyway, Haro has a hot seller in the Mary SS and XC, so an expansion of spec on a hardtail would be most likely. In fact, the Mary is continuing on relatively unchanged except for color, one of which is baby blue. The good news is that "Downhill Jill", Haro's brand manager, is a fan of the 29"er too, so I don't foresee any radical changes there just yet.