Quantcast

More short-travel dual-crown BS

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
So I am still, as always ever, looking at options for running a 27.5 wheel with a dual crown on my trailbike.

That duty is currently occupied by my 2005 (or 04?) Marzo 888 works set to 170mm travel. Super-low AC height with flat crowns. Absolutely love the ride, but wondering about lighter options for the long-term, as I'm not shuttling at all currently. Even among dual-crowns, that's a heavy fork.

The new Formula Selva XL looks great, as does the MRP Bartlett although the Ribbon seems to be a controversial fork....? Bartlett uses same damper and I've read sketchy reviews. Both seem to be unobtainable at this point; however, I'm not in a huge rush, just musing and can wait. Any reviews or opinions on the Bartlett?

Fox 40 coil forks are available used, easily adjustable, and lighter...and will apparently fit my 27.5" front like my 888, per earlier thread...but it's not lighter-enough that I necessarily want to make the switch considering I'd still be on the hunt for something more svelte. Probably better to save my $400 towards the right fork rather than a stopgap.

How short can I take a late-model Boxxer? Could I use the air shaft from a singlecrown to bring it down to 160-170mm? If not, 180mm isn't too tall with a bit of extra sag and the stanchions dropped to the max, I'm sure. They're pretty light.

The Formula Nero R also looks like a decent prospect if the Selva remains unobtanium. Close to Boxxer weight. But Boxxer sure makes for more readily-available parts. And again, probably best to wait for the purpose-built DC enduro forks than press another DH fork into trail service. But I'm dumb, so take that into account.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
as far as i can tell the selva DC has not been released for sale, haven't heard any rumors of a timeline either.

@HAB managed to figure out how to reduce the travel on a 40 float, although IIRC that required some modifications and wasn't super straightforward

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Why not a Zeb? It should be lighter and its not a noodle, like long travel single crown forks of the past.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Mojo UK made a dual crown conversion kit for the 36, but it was NOT cheap, and i'm pretty sure they don't make them anymore, but they did make it into the wild
Wait, it turns a Fox 36 into a DC?!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Why not a Zeb? It should be lighter and its not a noodle, like long travel single crown forks of the past.
Well, long-travel singlecrowns would require me to ditch my angleset and raise the AC even more with an EC cup. (Currently a ZS angleset, 1 1/8")

I could drop to a 160 singlecrown and probably preserve my rough AC height, and maybe throw in offset shock spacers to slacken and lower a little.

But the initial thought was that Selva XL. Lighter than the Fox 38, undoubtedly stiffer, no creaking overtaxed CSU, 1 1/8" steerer...allegedly with an even lower price of entry. I see no downside whatsoever.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Well, long-travel singlecrowns would require me to ditch my angleset and raise the AC even more with an EC cup. (Currently a ZS angleset, 1 1/8")

I could drop to a 160 singlecrown and probably preserve my rough AC height, and maybe throw in offset shock spacers to slacken and lower a little.

But the initial thought was that Selva XL. Lighter than the Fox 38, undoubtedly stiffer, no creaking overtaxed CSU, 1 1/8" steerer...allegedly with an even lower price of entry. I see no downside whatsoever.

Do you even barspin bro?

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
How short can I take a late-model Boxxer? Could I use the air shaft from a singlecrown to bring it down to 160-170mm? If not, 180mm isn't too tall with a bit of extra sag and the stanchions dropped to the max, I'm sure. They're pretty light.
There are 190mm and 180mm shafts available for the latest Boxxer.

Working with airshafts from single crown fork might be a bit tricky since Boxxers use a big spacer below the lower seal assy. See below. Further you would drastically change the ratio between the negative and positive chambers which is not good for initial sensitivity and support.

There is only a rivet holding the air piston on the boxxer shaft which should make possible to shorten a 200mm shaft to your favourite length depending on your skills...

On the pic below, the top model is marked S060 and came from a 140mm 29" Revelation from 2019 or 2020. The one in the middle is marked 090 and is from a Yari, but I don't remember for what stroke...

20220210_182211.jpg

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
You sure you don't want a Ribbon? :brows:
I already have your Vengeance, thx!

What's the deal with the Ribbon and the general mixed feelings on MRP forks?

I mean, I know them mostly for orange chainguide pulleys from 1999.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi

Working with airshafts from single crown fork might be a bit tricky since Boxxers use a big spacer below the lower seal assy. See below. [useful info]
Thanks very much! That's not a project I'd want to get into, for sure-

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
What's the deal with the Ribbon and the general mixed feelings on MRP forks?
This is the damper. It either works for you, or not. If not, this is the damper.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
New 180mm Boxxer has same A2C as a 170mm Lyric/Yari for what it's worth.

What A2C are you gunning for?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
well I actually offered him ad price if he'd throw in shipping, and figured I'd be the only person ready to put cash down with no BS right away. But I'm not interested in paying any more than that for such an odd duck, cool as it may be.

I'll probably just keep hoping the Selva is on the market soon, and/or find a used 38 at some point lol.

Till then, pedal pedal pedal. For my local conditions, I really only make one long road climb then one long descent, so it's not too bad even if it's a porky fucker.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Plenty of Jr Ts available on Ebay
I think I would need a Blackspire aftermarket arch to clear the 27.5.

I actually had one of those arches on my Jr. T. On my 2002 or so Surly Instigator; the original orange one.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

Working with airshafts from single crown fork might be a bit tricky since Boxxers use a big spacer below the lower seal assy. See below. Further you would drastically change the ratio between the negative and positive chambers which is not good for initial sensitivity and support.

There is only a rivet holding the air piston on the boxxer shaft which should make possible to shorten a 200mm shaft to your favourite length depending on your skills...

On the pic below, the top model is marked S060 and came from a 140mm 29" Revelation from 2019 or 2020. The one in the middle is marked 090 and is from a Yari, but I don't remember for what stroke...

View attachment 171695
Yep just pulled.my 180 out of my boxxer and went 200.

They have 180, 190 and 200

Before I pulled the 180
20220204_234621.jpg

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
A 36 dual as much as I like one off and different stuff I think the new boxxer in 180 and the weight is probably the same as a converted 36 .
.that kit is cool for sure but the 19+ boxxers are pretty cool...

I thought about hitting him up when it hit pink bike I'd have paid him asap before a bidding war lol...but that fork was pretty damn cool...

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Agree that the most logical conclusion is a newer Boxxer at 180mm. More $$ than Bartlett but weights are completely comparable and it's got widely-available service and parts. Seems like AC is only 581 at 200mm, so dropping 20mm more is totally reasonable height for my application.

That's a lot of cash.

The Bartlett plus a brand new Avalanche cartridge also springs to mind, tho, for same or less price.

Still, the Formula option really seems like what would fit me best. I'll hang on before doing anything. My 888 works in its role here in local conditions. I'm strong enough to do the climb with it one time, and a 2-lb lighter fork won't make me strong enough to do it 2x in a day, nor do I ever have time for that, lol.