Quantcast

More thoughts about Lance

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think he is going to start his own team, and the best way to bring in the sponsors is to race for it himself.

That's the only reason I can see why he would race again.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I guess the big news is he is going to Astana.

I thought about another team when I saw Davis Phinney's name. Lance's career is on the downslope, but if Lance can get riders like him, he could have the nucleus of a great team.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I dunno, aside from the news about Astana, any sponsors he could pull in by virtue of his comeback could just pull out when he quits. If Astana bows out as main sponsor (or the contract expires), I could see maybe Livestrong stepping in as main sponsor, but not sure how they could justify spending the dollars given that (if I'm correct) it's a non-profit committed to funding research.

CarlE

Monkey
Jan 7, 2008
Long Island, NY
I guess the big news is he is going to Astana.

I thought about another team when I saw Davis Phinney's name. Lance's career is on the downslope, but if Lance can get riders like him, he could have the nucleus of a great team.
There's rumors he's starting an U23 team. Taylor Phinney would be on it, managed by Eddie Merckx's son Axle.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
...but not sure how they could justify spending the dollars given that (if I'm correct) it's a non-profit committed to funding research.
If the Livestrong organization thinks it can pull in more money in donations, and increase awareness, through a pro cycling team it may be worth it. U.S. Postal quit sponsoring a team and look how they've done :biggrin: They shouldn't have pulled out