Quantcast

Morewood Izimu DH vs. Turner DHR

Wich of these DH bikes is better for cornering?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

isaacchdh

Chimp
Jan 19, 2007
I will be buying a DH race bike soon and as I have heard some of the best Cornering DH bikes are the Morewood Izimu DH and the Turner DHR.
So, I have a Cannondale Gemini DH and its a great bike pretty light. But I want something that can really rail turns at high speeds, something that can suck up big hits, something that can hold his line at technical sections. I will be using that bike for racing so.
What do you guys think? Wich is the best DH bike for that kind of things?

jrfor0

Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
cornering has more to do with the pilot then the ride. just practice corners and you will be faster. this is one thing i am going to work on before the race season gets here.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
If you want to stick with Cannondale, the Judge is a really awesome platform for all of the things you described. It can race, DH, and Freeride. As for the other two, I have ridden neither, so my input is not really valid.

isaacchdh

Chimp
Jan 19, 2007
cornering has more to do with the pilot then the ride. just practice corners and you will be faster. this is one thing i am going to work on before the race season gets here.

youre right man
but what im trying to say is that i want something that sticks more to the floor with a low center of gravity. :biggrin:

jrfor0

Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
youre right man
but what im trying to say is that i want something that sticks more to the floor with a low center of gravity. :biggrin:
i understand now. well, my vote went to the turner because of the way the linkage is designed. there are 3 points of contact between the back end and the front on the turner compared to 2 points with the other bikes. this will make the back end a little stiffer and less likely to tweak under hard cornering.

short_normal

Chimp
Apr 9, 2006
SDSU/ La Jolla
are you kidding me, the turner by a long shot. the turner has a low bb height meaning a low center of gravity. the fastest guy that i ever rode with, rode a dhr. its even in the name, what else could you possibly want?

bElliott

Chimp
Sep 5, 2006
i'd keep your gemini

it does not have as much travel, but the super duper low 2.2:1 ratio
wil help you tune it to perfection.i personally think that the gemini is a faster bike compared to the dhr. no experience on a morewood

also the gemini has floating brakes and was designed to run 1/2 way throught the sag ( low bb helps cornering!)

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Have not ridden the Morewood, but I truely like my DHR. It does surprise me that more single pivots do not use a scissor linkage of some sort whether to drive the shock (like the dhr) or just to reduce laods on the shock and provide stiffining (like the foes DH mono). It is a simple way to add a lot to a simple single pivot IMHO.

I have a friend that rides/rode the Gemeni and did quite well on it. If you are searching for a lower bb and CoG, a simple shorter shock or mount mod might do the trick for less $$. This is a semi common mod on the DHR and was (for me) OKed by Turner.

other than that, learn to get over and weight the front. It is a scary commitment to fully trust/load the front tire, but that is the way to rail.

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
Have not ridden the Morewood, but I truely like my DHR. It does surprise me that more single pivots do not use a scissor linkage of some sort whether to drive the shock (like the dhr) or just to reduce laods on the shock and provide stiffining (like the foes DH mono). It is a simple way to add a lot to a simple single pivot IMHO.

I have a friend that rides/rode the Gemeni and did quite well on it. If you are searching for a lower bb and CoG, a simple shorter shock or mount mod might do the trick for less $$. This is a semi common mod on the DHR and was (for me) OKed by Turner.

other than that, learn to get over and weight the front. It is a scary commitment to fully trust/load the front tire, but that is the way to rail.
dave knows what he's talking about

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Warning....off topic......warning....sorry!

dave knows what he's talking about
Haa....How are you doing?

I had my back surgery about a month ago and am out for atleast another 3 months, but we definately need to get together to ride this spring! When do yo turn 16/ able to drive?

---> thread continues here <----

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Wait, what? Turner OKs drilling DHRs? Since when? You keep the warranty? perhaps they will make future models with multiple holes.
yup...when I had my DHR I thought about drilling it to make it slacker. I first called Turner to make sure it was okay with them and they said yes. Heck they even outlined the exact steps for me in case I decided to do it.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I don't think a bike is going to solve your lack of cornering. While both the Turner and the Morewood are great bikes, neither one is going to make you a faster racer unless you become a better rider.

I ride a Morwood and I beat lots of guys on DHRs last year. What does that mean? Nothing!

Both are great bikes with great customer service. So you really can't go wrong with either. But I think you need to spend as much time as you can on both to determine which suits your style best.

I love my Izimu for the following reasons:

Its light
Its adjustable
Its simple to clean and keep running in top preformance
Its made better by a Cane Creek shock
The wheelbase grows under compression
It springs out of corners

Don't believe hype. Make an educated decision based on facts you determine for yourself.

rhd

Chimp
Oct 30, 2006
i ride a morewood hardtail...it's cool....haha

i said izimu cause i like the brand and the customer service. I called up morewood and they invited me up to check out their trails and layout up near asheville...and i thought that was cool.. They gave me some input on my hardtail build...stuff that they knew worked too. so, my votes more on personal appeal and overview of the company than the actual bike...so it's kinda m00t.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
izumu is a ripoff
straight up
yes, because single pivots are original and all.

I rode a drilled DHR last year and was really happy with how much better of a cornerer it made me. then again, I was really dissapointed in how often the bike got hung up.

I am really exited to ride an Izimu this year. It will corner slightly worse (due to the extending wheelpath, opposed to the DHR's which gets smaller) but I think it makes up for on square edged hits, wide open stuff, and pretty much everything i thought my turner lacked.

dhrace507

Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Mountains
I think one of the original desires was a bike that has a lower center of gravity. The Turner's bottom bracket height is going to be 14.1 on the new models which is a bit lower than the Morewood. Turner also has a lower shock position than the Morewood. Those two things will give the Turner a stable, low center of gravity feel that's great when riding.

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
I think one of the original desires was a bike that has a lower center of gravity. The Turner's bottom bracket height is going to be 14.1 on the new models which is a bit lower than the Morewood. Turner also has a lower shock position than the Morewood. Those two things will give the Turner a stable, low center of gravity feel that's great when riding.
since the izimu has adjustable geometry, it can definitely be lower than the turner. also im my personal opinion they are more stable than dhr's (the 07 models should be even better)

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Wait, what? Turner OKs drilling DHRs? Since when? You keep the warranty? perhaps they will make future models with multiple holes.
Well you will need to call them and get the OK yourself..but Yes. I called up Greg and just asked him about the mod..where they drilled them...what geo they got as a result, any issues, material removal needed..as much info as he had. After a bit of conversation, I asked if they (turner) were OK with this since he was telling me how to do it. The answer basically was they could not warrantee MY work, but one hole would not effect the structure of the frame, so essentially anything that was not a direct result of the hole (hole too close to other hole, or edge etc) I drilled would still be covered. He had no problem with me doing this.

I know that they have OKed people to drill for a floating brake as well.

IronhorseCT

Monkey
Feb 20, 2002
Trumbull,CT
having raced seasons on both a DHR(04) an the Izimu(05-06)m I feel like I have a pretty good base for a review. The DHR for me was a bad mix. The HA was a bit steep and the TT a bit short...The rear skipped under braking etc...My biggest complaint was the fact that the cranks hit on everything! Pros: The bike was pretty stiff and turner CS is pretty good.

Izimu: Higher BB allowed pedaling where the DHR could not. In the corners, the bike squats a bit, and slingshots out...Cornering for me was far superior to the Turner...Bike is glued to the ground...under braking, in steeps and roughs...Put a little money into your shock choice(CCDB, REVOX) and the bike responds. Morewood CS is like having friends at the factory...

My vote: MOREWOOD all the way.

And Will: I bet your Izimu outcorners your drilled DHR all day long...Just wait

hungryleprican

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
ndub
Warning....off topic......warning....sorry!

Haa....How are you doing?

I had my back surgery about a month ago and am out for atleast another 3 months, but we definately need to get together to ride this spring! When do yo turn 16/ able to drive?

---> thread continues here <----
DANGGGG 3 months!?

that's brutal but I don't turn 16 for awhile unfortunately (november 27) but we do need to ride this spring. 3 months from now is like... april 20th around there so once we near that time, we can start making plans for an sst ride or some trails along I-90.
Hope your back hurries in it's recovery!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Both the DHR and Izumu are both great bikes. I raced Turner for 3+ years in the past when I was on the SEI Racing Team and raced for Morewood last year as an independent. Both bikes feel about the same to me when it comes to cornering and over all DH performance. I will say though the Izumu did pedal better to me, but that could be because of the Fox DHX. My old DHR's had Romic's. You can't go wrong on ether frame, plus both companys are great to work with.

Good luck.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Miss information.

I had my Izimu setup with a 14" BB and I could have run it much lower.

ridea

Monkey
Oct 30, 2006
south west of England
I recently rode a small glory with 7" boxxers slammed all the way down a layback post and 50mm stem, and although im 5 11" and the frame when going in a straight line felt too small i think it was probably the best cornering biike ive ever ridden it just seemed to rail probably a combination of the short wb steep h/a and the what feels like near vertical axle path (well alot more so than my bike which grows miles) id be a little woried that it would be too short for fast courses but just a thought im yet to try a medium with a shorter fork as i find the seem to feel super wallowy with 8" 40's on maby even experement with fork lengths on your current bike, i think unless your riding flat out courses then the h/a on most dh bikes are too slack to stay quick through the corners, just a point.

Also turners seem to have the most amasing service, i mean how many other companys will send you a brand new (06) frame as a replacement for a 3 year old 2nd hand frame without asking for a recipt or let you drill a hole in a frame with out effecting the warrenty!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
I am closing this thread for now. For some reason it is attracting bot spam post after bot spam post. There must be a certain amount of links to it or keyword saturation that attracts them.

In the meantime, feel free to start a new one if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.