Quantcast

Morewood Proto DH bike...

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
biker3 said:
Yup, Im not at liberty to say anything but Tom darthvandavador is a honest guy.

BTW, all the haters, take a look at the next Morewood you see and tell me its the same as a bullit. Santa cruz doesnt hand weld in factory, cnc machine the swingarm, or put anything into the main pivot. Also for the people who say Morewood is ripping on Orange, the 2005 Izimu which came out before the 224 has a lower pivot than the 223.

Those protos look amazing BTW. Look forward to seeing the team ripping them up.
hahahaaa.. orange copied morewoods lower pivot, thats a good one

05 223

06 morewood

06 224

"07" morewood

i don't think anyone said they were "ripping off" Orange.... it is just a tough sell to some people that morewood isn't riding on the coat tails of another company's innovation. the bikes are just too similar, from the adjustable shock mount to the shape of the frame, etc.... 224 got a new swingarm, headtube gussetting, and lower pivot for 06, morewood refined the exact same thing for 07. i am not saying they are copying orange, it is just tat they do not seem to be at the forfront of development for single pivot bikes (if there is such a thing, haha)

the morewoods look good, but i think they need to do something to set themselves apart a bit.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
biker3 said:
Note the difference in guide size. These pictures don't do justice to the argument.
forget the guide size, look at the pivot placements in relation to the seattube.

you, my friend, have just been punk'd.:rofl:

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
Who really cares?

Orange's are cool...Morewood's are cool...Riding is cool.

I look forward to seeing Dave's bike in person...it is hot...and he can check out my Izumu if he likes...see ya at the Open

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
the new 224 look pretty sick and it seem their moving the pivot closer to the location of honda, commencal at the top of the chainring and just forward of the bottom bracket.

Dhracer3

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Fletcher NC
they are a different ride..
when you move the pivot closer to the chain it gives a bike a more dead feeling but keeps it stable on fast sections.. when its a little further away from chain it gives the bike a more quicker feeling for tight sections like trees and rock sections..

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
in the hands of skilled riders, these things literally fly.
i've seen the with my own eyes.
these are nice race bikes. light and nimble.

and copying someone elses design has been happening ever since the first mt. bikes were made. so who cares ?

PoserNewbie

Monkey
Feb 14, 2003
Lower Mainland, BC
Exactly. The whole purpose of competition in the industry is to provide the customers with a comparable/better product. The 07 Izimu looks very good. It looks like there would be less adjustments compared to the 06.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
They're copying it so close they're virtually stealing sales straight from Orange. Pathetic,rude and imoral in my eyes,wouldn't stop me from buying one tho if I liked them.
Pivot near chain hight(lower type) is worse for square hits but slightly more active,not as affected by pedalling.
Higher= more stable at speed and large stuff.
Basic characteristics that can be overcome with shock tuning.

NeilBey

Chimp
Feb 3, 2006
Man, that morewood looks just like the Intense M3... Just without that vpp thing and the monocoque front end; and then there is the different bb height, wheelbase, top tube length, etc. Other than that, identical!! And to counter mr no skid marks entry earlier, the whole purpose in the business world is to make a profit and if that means stealing sales from another company; well darn it, so be it! And if you were to actually do a bit of research into the companies, Morewood and Orange, you'd find that the designs are very much different.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
We were parked behind there trailer at Massanutten. The bikes looked really sweet. What I liked the best was the simplicity in their design.

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
biker3 said:
What ever happened to the pulley prototype? I'd like to see that on the bike, cuz pedal feedback is really the only negative if you want to call it that.
well you could get the Session 10 instead :clue:

I gave up on the floating pulley idea since i believe it comprimises reliability, adds a bit of complexity and doesnt offer any advantage over using a swingarm mounted pulley (BB7, PDC DH), although i havent looked at how that configuration would work with that pivot location.

julian_dh

Monkey
Jan 10, 2005
i wish the pulley idea would have worked with my orange its a dream to ride with no feedback ect

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
dexter said:
looks like a yeti 303 without the rail linkage
man it looks like hayden's moto gp bike. except for....
just think of all the repsol hondas they're not selling now thanks to morewood.

you neysayers sound like a bunch of little old ladies cackling around their breakfast table at the nursing home.

TankerX

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
The best place Fo Sho
Can anybody tell me the difference with the 06 and 08 Izimu frames. I came across a really good deal on the 06 model but just wanted feedback if it's worth to dish out extra coin for the 08.

Thanks

Jan 20, 2008
Santa Rosa
Can anybody tell me the difference with the 06 and 08 Izimu frames. I came across a really good deal on the 06 model but just wanted feedback if it's worth to dish out extra coin for the 08.

Thanks
The 08 has a 1.5 headtube, different seat gusset, looks better:banana:, has the new SP2 bearings(the 06 can be upgraded), and a different geometry changer piece thing(black triangle that attaches to the front shock mount.

Thats what i know.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
The 08 has a lower LR than the 06 plus the pivot point is lower on the 08 than the 06. The 06 had more of a rearward axle path because of the higher PP.

Other than that not much changed besides the 1.5 HT and Seat Tube sizing.

Both are great bikes.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
whatever happened to the proto that was seen on littermag a couple months ago?
They are building a few of them this year but may not make it to the US till 09. 09 is when the public will be able to buy them. The Izumu will still be the flag ship DH bike for a while from what I am being told. I am stoked on the new design and can't wait to try one out.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
They are building a few of them this year but may not make it to the US till 09. 09 is when the public will be able to buy them. The Izumu will still be the flag ship DH bike for a while from what I am being told. I am stoked on the new design and can't wait to try one out.
Richard told me that he'll be getting two of the new Protos at the end of summer to take to interbike. He said the frames will be specifically spec'd with the BOS suspension fork and shock. Richard also said that the frame with suspension will retail around 5k. He said nothing is set in stone yet though.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Yawn.... another single pivot bike with no floating brake.
Well what is your racing credential? :clue:

I've been on the following in 4 years...DHR, Demo 8, Sunday..all decked out and set up as good as they were ever going to ride. I just got a gift last weekend and got to spend countless runs at Diablo during the Open on the Morewood team demo Izimu and there wasn't a thing holding me back about that bike. Matter of fact, I wasn't far out from qualifying for the finals. Not bad for a 35 year old has been semi-pro who is 20 lbs overweight.

That suspension design doesn't hold you back for anything buddy. If you bag on it, it just means you're one more geek looking to blame the bike for your placing. Motocross had it figured out a long time ago. Brake jack and multiple pivots aren't it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
That suspension design doesn't hold you back for anything buddy. If you bag on it, it just means you're one more geek looking to blame the bike for your placing. Motocross had it figured out a long time ago. Brake jack and multiple pivots aren't it.
Oh really? Last time I checked most motorcross bikes still use multiple pivots (linkages).

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Oh really? Last time I checked most motorcross bikes still use multiple pivots (linkages) to actuate the shock.
Fixed it for you. Soon as you find an FSR, DW, Maestro, VPP, ICT, Split Pivot, floater, etc on a moto, let me know. 1 hunk of metal going straight back to the axle...that's it.:banana: