Quantcast

Morewood Sizing

BLH2

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
I am torn between what size to get for my new Morewood Shova LT. Im 5'10, what do you guys recommend.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Large for sure. I bought one a couple of months ago and was torn on the size as well. I'm 5'9" and ride a 17" Sunday for reference.

Squasher

Monkey
Aug 20, 2001
K-Ville
Depends. Gerrit rode a small all last year, then switched to a large this year. He likes the large more. He is about 5'10".
I'm 6' and ride a large. I like a larger bike though.
I would say it depends on whether you like a small bike or a large bike and your style of riding.

BLH2

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
I usually like a smaller bike, I like to jump and throw the bike around. Just dont know what to get still. It sounds like a toss up.

Squasher

Monkey
Aug 20, 2001
K-Ville
5'10" and you like a smaller bike, I think the small would be fine.
You should call Richard up and see if he has a small built up. I'm sure he would let you parking lot test it to see how it feels.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Richard let me ride a Small at the US Open, and I ride a Large Shova LT right now and I like the Large much more, I'm 6' 2" though. I'm pretty sure they have 07s in Large, I got mine about a month ago. I know they only have 06s in small. Price Point might have 06s in Large.

BLH2

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
Richard only has 07 in small and 06 in small. I rode Richards bike at Mt Snow around the parking lot which felt fine. His is a 06 large. It looks like 07 small has 15mm longer top tube.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I think I am going to go with a 2007 small.
The guys over 5'9" riding a small must like TINY bikes. I would say on average I like a bike that fits my body size - 22.75-23.5" top tube. I strongly recommend trying one of each if you can. I can give you real world measurements if that helps - actual and virtual TT, wheelbase, front center. Just let me know if you want them.

btw, you can't really compare an Izimu to a Shova LT - the large Izimu is bigger than a large Shova LT.

BLH2

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
I currently ride a Santa Cruz Chameleon and it is a size large with 23' top tube, the 2007 Morewood is 22.4 top tube. Is that a big difference, should I not compare the 2? My SC I always felt was a little big, to fix that I have a short 50mm stem. Sorry to bother you guys with this ****, just trying to make the right decision.

Cheer

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
Depends. Gerrit rode a small all last year, then switched to a large this year. He likes the large more. He is about 5'10".
I'm 6' and ride a large. I like a larger bike though.
I would say it depends on whether you like a small bike or a large bike and your style of riding.
Actually Geritt is torn between the small and the large so he is getting a custom made meduim frame to test. A medium sounds like the hot ticket for guys 5'10-6'...but I don't have that problem 6'3" and been rocking larges for 3 years

Squasher

Monkey
Aug 20, 2001
K-Ville
I seriously think the small Izimu will be fine for you. I know lots of Izimu riders and the ones that ride the small's range from 5'7" to 5'11".

I guess I shouldn't have mentioned Gerrit liking the large. He could be on a Wal-mart bike and as long as it moves forward, he will like it. :D

BLH2

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
Squasher I am interested in the SHova not the Izimu, does that make a difference?

Squasher

Monkey
Aug 20, 2001
K-Ville
Squasher I am interested in the SHova not the Izimu, does that make a difference?
Nope, the top tube lengths of the Shova LT and the Izimu are the same. Just shorter travel and little steeper angles. I still think a small will be fine.

Personally, for a shorter travel bike like the LT, I would want a little smaller cockpit. It would be more of a do it all bike then. XC, DH, DS and so on.

Froggy

Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
New Fairfield, CT
He has the option do to that though. Real world people don't. But ya, a medium would ideally be the ticket though :)
True Dat...I sitting w/ Geritt right now...he's playing Wii...mediums maybe an option for 2008...I know I have 5 guys on my team that would love a medium...Let's hope Patrick Morewood sees the light...:lighten:

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Ultimately it's your call BLH2. The Shova LT at 7.6" of travel is never going to be a decent DS or DJ bike, but it will be a great FR/DH bike and to some extent, a decent all-mountain bike. I opted for the longer size because with the steeper than Izimu angles, I didn't want a short wheelbase for high speed stuff. Good luck whatever you decide.

BLH2

Chimp
Jul 5, 2007
Does anyone have a way for me to contact Froggy? He may have a frame and I cant get a hold of him. Please help, I need a frame by Tuesday so I can go to Snowshoe.

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
Did anyone can advice?
I have a shova st and it is using the RP23 which is 2" stroke. i would like to exchange it to the DHX with 2.25 stroke.

It there anything which will be affect?

DH Rules

Chimp
Jul 13, 2006
On the trails of WNC - Mostly
Did anyone can advice?
I have a shova st and it is using the RP23 which is 2" stroke. i would like to exchange it to the DHX with 2.25 stroke.

It there anything which will be affect?
Yep...this will change the geometry substantially and make the bike feel huge and you'll need to be about 6'2" tall to enjoy this. Although it's only .25 of an inch more, with a travel ratio of close to 3, it will add nearly an inch of travel to your rear end and you will need upgrade to a longer fork as well. The Shova ST is designed as a 5.2" travel bike so I would recommend staying with the 2" stroke. Watch this space for something in 6" plus in 2008

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
Yep...this will change the geometry substantially and make the bike feel huge and you'll need to be about 6'2" tall to enjoy this. Although it's only .25 of an inch more, with a travel ratio of close to 3, it will add nearly an inch of travel to your rear end and you will need upgrade to a longer fork as well. The Shova ST is designed as a 5.2" travel bike so I would recommend staying with the 2" stroke. Watch this space for something in 6" plus in 2008
Thanks for your advice, I would like to change the fork to the 66 150 mm version due to the rear end upgrade. Basically I would like to make it become a all mtn & mini DH bike.

I will going to post the bike picture after all of the modification finish.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Basically I would like to make it become a all mtn & mini DH bike.
The mod you are thinking of doing would make it a horrible mini DH bike. The longer shock would raise the BB (no good) and steepen the head angle (also no good). The longer fork will just further raise the BB.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Hey BLH2 i havent been on here in a bit so i wasnt able to post to this thread earlier but i'm ordering a new 07 shova lt large and it should be getting it in this week some time. Hopefully tomorrow. :happydance: I told Richard which frame i wanted a while back and i think they were about out of the large frames so he ordered it for me. I'm getting a large 07 lt (white) so basically if you really want one, all you have to do is tell Richard and he'll hook you up.

dh_newbie

Monkey
Jun 7, 2006
Hong Kong
The mod you are thinking of doing would make it a horrible mini DH bike. The longer shock would raise the BB (no good) and steepen the head angle (also no good). The longer fork will just further raise the BB.
Thank for another big advice, I know it will affect the BB & Ht angle. So I stay for 2" shox stroke. Now on the shova the BB height is nearly 13", which is quit low for my point of view and I have measure the crown to axle length compare the revlation & 66. It has around 25mm height difference.