morzine this summer

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
who's going to be there?
when?
we will be there from 14 to 24 july
it will be nice to meet you guys at the real world.

see you there :)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
First 2 weeks July. A big group of riders from Poland. Not yet sure how many. Me and Frango from RM for sure.

will d

Chimp
Dec 27, 2007
Going to be in morzine from the 4th to the 9th of July , staying at the riders refuge. Travelling alone as all my mates were to tight, to drop the cash for the expensive airflight from Australia. Super keen to meet some other riders to explore the off the map trails and or drinking buddies ! Hit me up

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Look for 2010 Glory with wht Totem, black Legend with RS WC, two dark Spec BHs, wht DiscoVolante and some other bikes - that's us :)

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
If anyone will be riding in Chatel tommorow look for a black/green legend (mythic since I got it in the UK) with a white boxxer with green decals. Im not really fit to ride with people as my fitness run out a few days ago (PDS uphills on a road casette + a lager diet before the trip killed me) and I do frequent stops but catching up for a beer in Morzine/Chatel/Les Gets is also an option.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
we will arrive tomorrow
will be at the pleny this friday

I'm on a green sunday with black boxxer.
see you there

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Friday is our last day. Hope we can spot you. Right now the weather went to ****. It rains heavy and I think it started in the middle of the night.

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
Im heading to europe for 5/6 weeks in a few weeks time. Me/car/bike/tent if anyone has garden space or indeed sofa space, feel free to let me know ;)
Ill be in morzine for a week or 2. jus taking europe as it comes.
Ahem.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
we are here for 3 days now
the weather been amazing so far. there is a Harley Davidson festival in town. lot of bands and rock concerts.
the local's trails are amazing now.
tomorrow it supposed to rain.... so we will rest a bit
saw a one day old, new DHR cracked yesterday...
if any of you are here and want to learn the locals trails, just say.

BrayDownhill

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Bray, Ireland
Haha who owned the DHR? Luminous yellow? Owned by an Irish guy?

Was over during June and July for a little over 3 weeks, trails were amazing this year, some great gems running on the bottom part of Super Morzine, just gotta know where to look!!

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
it seem like a new one.
one day old bike
but he still ride it.
hope it wont break when riding.... it can be a real bad crash...

fl1ppo

Chimp
Mar 15, 2009
Frankfurt, Ger
Does anybody know if the Champery WC track is ridable atm? I'm in Morzine for two more days and am wondering if the track maybe is in construction because of the championships that are held there soon...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
After riding it Id say I would not ride it in the wet. Rode it in the dry without a trackwalk before and I crashed like a bitch.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Hoping that the rain would f'off for when I'm out there on the 20th August!
I hate riding in mud and I don't give a crap about people saying that I should ride the wet... dont care for it and never will. Bring on the sunshine!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Planei and Les Gets are usually good in the rain from what Ive seen. Supermorzine was worse. Supposedly Chatel is also good but didnt try since it was foggy as hell in the rain there when I was around.

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
got back from morzine yesterday.
it was the worst vacation ever....
the rain only stopped every afternoon and the tracks was reel muddy...
the last day we drove to pila italy and ride in dry conditions all day. it was great.
I hope next year will be dry....

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
Bummer :| We, despite forecasts, had 10-11 dry days :)
As far as I remember what Bodek told me, Chatel's tracks are a muddy streams when it's raining.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Though he claimed they were still very rideable. You just hate mud so stop scaring people ;)

wysiwyg

Monkey
May 22, 2002
Sherwood Forest, UK
Will arrive Friday, doing a spot of wild camping somewhere, should be on the trails by Fri avo.

Will be on my own for a week so if anyone either wants showing around (know most of the non official tracks) or doesnt mind me joining their group let me know.

Or i'll be on a rawed giant faith, jus shout at me.

fl1ppo

Chimp
Mar 15, 2009
Frankfurt, Ger
Thanks for the replys.
Would have loved to ride Champery again, and say hi to you Ben, but we decided not to go there in these nasty conditions as it probably would have been too extreme for my young riding buddy.
Bummer too that I haven't been in Morgins this year, loved the tracks when I was there two years ago.
All in all, wettest two weeks I ever experienced in the Portes. Can only get better next year.
Keep my fingers crossed for better weather for everybody who is there now/soon...

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Rode Champery on the weekend (totally wet and muddy), awesome fun - not the gentlest on bikes though. Spikes definitely compulsory.

For people looking for somewhere that holds up well in the wet, I think Morgins is pretty good. Chatel is not the best and a lot of trails were closed last week.

Will be floating around Morzine and Chatel this coming weekend if anyone is around, on a red sunday.

fl1ppo

Chimp
Mar 15, 2009
Frankfurt, Ger
Oh, and one thing I was wondering about:
Last time I was in Morzine, there was a kind of secret very steep trail near the Pleney DH.
You could enter it right before the Pleney DH part, where the jump out of the woods onto the meadow is. The first part of it was ridable, but at the lower part, there was steel rope tensioned at the entrance.
Have I been at the wrong place, or is it really blocked?

Last edited:

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Rode Champery on the weekend (totally wet and muddy), awesome fun - not the gentlest on bikes though. Spikes definitely compulsory.
That is impressive. I like riding in the wet but I wouldnt do that. Maybe If I got used to the track a bit more but for my time there I couldnt catch my flow there even in the dry. Though a flat bar, softish fork that lost 10mm of its travel and a very low cockpit overall didnt help me to feel comfy ;)

I really need to do more riding there next time. For the first time 2weeks is to little to do everything you want.