Quantcast

Most annoying ad on RM?

J

JRB

As irritated as I may seem from the world, I don't have any ads on RM that bother me. I used to, but I have risen above that.

J

JRB

Wumpus said:
So you going to come up and ride the road?
I guess I could. I will call in a short while. I want to go to Oshman's, so maybe so.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
SP2 is the DEVIL!
i had to re-install all the OS's at work to SP1. don't work well with out accounting software.
also lots of other progs don't work. so its the DEVIL i say!

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
johnbryanpeters said:
The trouble with the HOSTS is that it's huge and any unresolved name requires a sequential scan of the file. Therefore it's slooow, especially for those of us running on creaky old iron.

J
How is it slower than going and fetching the real ads? I always had a lag when I loaded a page as the ads loaded then the page would load. Now, the page loads a lot quicker.

(I really don't know so any info is always good.)

Wumpus said:
How is it slower than going and fetching the real ads? I always had a lag when I loaded a page as the ads loaded then the page would load. Now, the page loads a lot quicker.

(I really don't know so any info is always good.)
Let's say the web page contains an ad served by wombat.com. Your computer needs to translate the DNS name into an IP address (a number like 12.28.134.6) to use it. The HOSTS file tricks this by giving it a fake number.

Normally your computer sends a message out asking for the address associated with the name wombat.com, a fairly quick request/response process.

With the HOSTS file, which has more than 31,000 entries, your computer needs to root through all those entries, which, for my old memory starved box takes a lot of time. While it's happening, I can see svchost.exe pegging the CPU.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I hate them all. I got on RM one day, popups galore. I was thinking 'wtf is going on, did RM totally sell out?', then I realized I wasn't signed in :blah: