Quantcast

'most dangerous thing a person can do'

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Just a few days ago my good friend
Mike Meanwell was saying 'just about the most dangerous thing a person can do is get in their car and drive down the road'.

Mike was hit by an 18 wheeler on Monday night/Tuesday morning. His car exploded and he was killed. This is the single most tragic death I have ever been close to... he was only 24 :( Luckily he was able to go home to Ohio just last week to see his family and friends.

He was the best guitarist I have ever known and the leader of my band, holding 90% of the talent. I dont think I'll ever be able to play with out thinking of him.

The last time I saw him was on Saturday night after we had played my friends party... he was looking for the Frisbee :(

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Sorry for the loss. I had a real good friend die when I was a teen, he stopped by to watch some of our varsity soccer game, talked to us at the half. Then left and drove about 2 miles down the road where he flipped his car and died. It's weird how you remember that last time you saw someone before they died and it was a trivial moment you wish could have been more than it was.

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
Just a few days ago my good friend
Mike Meanwell was saying 'just about the most dangerous thing a person can do is get in their car and drive down the road'.

Mike was hit by an 18 wheeler on Monday night/Tuesday morning. His car exploded and he was killed. This is the single most tragic death I have ever been close to... he was only 24 :( Luckily he was able to go home to Ohio just last week to see his family and friends.

He was the best guitarist I have ever known and the leader of my band, holding 90% of the talent. I dont think I'll ever be able to play with out thinking of him.

The last time I saw him was on Saturday night after we had played my friends party... he was looking for the Frisbee :(
I'm so sorry. My condolences to you and his family + friends. A similar thing happened to me, he was only 16.

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
Golgi..

I'm sorry for your loss. So tragic when someone so young dies. I lost my best friend when I was 23. Its hard, my thoughts are with you...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Originally posted by zod
It's weird how you remember that last time you saw someone before they died and it was a trivial moment you wish could have been more than it was.
Yeah, I remember it SO cleary. "hey man have you seen the frizbee" I was like, "no havnt seen it". I keep wishing I could have helped him find the stupid frizbee and I keep wishing that I had called the guys and said that we needed to practice Monday night :(

We listened to a bunch of tracks we laid dowe yesterday afternoon... it was impossible to hear.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your good friend. My condolences to you and to his family and friends. :(

Try to remember all the good times you had jamming with your friend. Hopefully that'll help a bit.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
I can't even think of losing another friend, let alone anyone in my band...

All the best to your bro on the other side, you will see him again someday.

El Jefe

Dr. Phil Jefe
Nov 26, 2001
OC in SoCal
Heavy sh*t man, sorry to hear it. Sounds real similar to what I experienced in college with one of my best friends, and a great bassist / vocalist. I still think about him from time to time 13 years after it happened. There's really nothing to describe the feelings of suddenly losing a friend or loved one.

Maybe writing a song about or for him would be good therapy?

Have you ever heard Jimmy Eat World's song 'Hear You, Me'? Find it. It's on the cd Bleed American. Quite a song for honoring grieving over the loss of someone close to you.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Originally posted by Cooter Brown
God dang Jon, when I heard about that on the news I felt terrible for his family and friends, now that I hear this from you, my condolences man, I'm so sorry. :(
It was on the news? What did they say?

Hey... thanks man, I needed a good laugh, your sig rocks: 'Taking the lounge from the back' :D

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Sorry to hear about that.

I had a friend drown when I was 18...talked to him about 2 hours before I got the call that he was gone.

Don't forget him. That's all you can do.

dickiesbike1

Monkey
Jun 17, 2002
NC
Sorry to hear about that. I almost lost 5 friends in one car accident, but they lucked out and all walked away.

Never forget.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
:( I am SO sorry to hear of your loss. I had a student hit and killed by a car my first year of teaching and it as incredible tragic and I personally will never forget it. I think of Tre' everyday that I teach in Schenectady and visit his grave a few times a year.

You and his friends & family are in my thoughts and prayers!

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado
Ive had somthing similar happen recently to our family. very sorry, accidents can be very hard.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
Originally posted by golgiaparatus
It was on the news? What did they say?

Hey... thanks man, I needed a good laugh, your sig rocks: 'Taking the lounge from the back' :D

was it at 161st & Hi way 75? If so, then sadly yes, if that's not where it happened, no I haven't heard, but there was a wreck there early tuesday morning with a semi and a fatality. But wherever it was, my deepest sorrow to all that knew him :(

heh, yeah, I thought with all the talk about "taking back the lounge" and since I am one that phrase references, I would put my spin on it :cool: :D

Old_Dude

Monkey
Sorry to hear the tragic news.

I think it's important that you posted it - to share your feelings with friends. That helps me when bad things happen.

This makes me want to be more careful.

It makes me want to enjoy life more and just stop & think & let go of the stupid stuff in life that doesn't really matter.

God bless his family & loved ones.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Originally posted by Old_Dude
This makes me want to be more careful.

It makes me want to enjoy life more and just stop & think & let go of the stupid stuff in life that doesn't really matter.
Yep be careful, not for yourself, but for everyone that loves you.

Tonight I have to listen to and edit a bunch of tracks with him on it for the service. It will be hard, he played so beautifully, its hard to know that it was only the beginning for him and he never had a chance to climp the mountain of talent he had reach his peak.

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
I'm really sorry to hear that. I know how your feeling. I just lost my best freind not to long ago. He was also driving. He fell asleep at the wheel after dropping me off. That morning his dad called me to tell me the news. I've never felt the same.

TULSATUMBLERSGF

GRASSHOPPER
Jan 22, 2004
Tulsa, OK
golgi,

i cant even begin to say the right things to you right now... when i lost Kathy, nothing anyone said really made the pain and unbelievable confusion of "why?" go away!!!

hang in there... you have a TON of people here on RM and elsewhere who really care about YOU and how YOU get thru this in the next days, months and yrs...

death is a predator that steals and many times it is unexpected and senseless... we wont ever understand why but know that they live on inside us and i REFUSE to let Kathy's memory die... people get sick of me talking about her i think but PHUCK EM... she lives on thru me...

my thoughts are with you, dude!

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Originally posted by Silver
Sorry to hear about that.

I had a friend drown when I was 18...talked to him about 2 hours before I got the call that he was gone.

Don't forget him. That's all you can do.
Happend to me too. I dont even remember when, sometie way back in elementary school. He wasnt my best friend, but a good friend. His whole family went to Mexico on a vacation and him and his sister drowned there. Sooo sad. But what is cool is this: We were at a Catholic school, and the day or so after they drowned, some random person took a picture of a sunrise or sunset (I forget which) at the place that they drowned and in the picture there is actually a full angel. I believe it, because to get a sunspot like that would be near to impossible. The picture is at the school. If I can find it online I'll post it.

Now I'm sad all over again, its been a long time. :(