Quantcast

Most effective way to sell a car?

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
So I'm trying to sell a car. Of course I have it in the Auto Trader. I've gotten two calls for it. I've got a sign in the window. I placed ads in two local newspapers. But those ads cost a fortune!

I've have placed ads before on Autoweb.com and that was worthless. So I doubt i'll do it again. Ebay motors doesn't look terribly popular. Also i'm not keen on auctioning my car...

But this is adding up. I'm going to spend about 20% of what I get for the car paying for the freakin' ads!!

Any other suggestions? I want to be rid of this car!!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by MMike

Any other suggestions? I want to be rid of this car!!
Dump it in a river and report it as stolen. Insurance will give you what its worth:)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
It should be pretty reasonable. I looked through the other ads for similar Civics, and I'm in the ball park.
hmm a Civic too seems strange it wouldn't move, it's not like it's a frikkin Kia...... maybe your puttin on too much of your Mmike charm when you deal with potential buyers.:p ;)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Price is too high - plus most people who need to finance are more apt to buy at a lot.

What year and what price? Honda owners do tend to overvalue their buggies - it's not like there aren't of ton of them for sale.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Originally posted by Skookum
maybe your puttin on too much of your Mmike charm when you deal with potential buyers.:p ;)
Ha...yeah.

" I dont like you, probably never will. You're a spunk, unhappy little man and you treat people like they're idiots"

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Originally posted by Serial Midget
Price is too high - plus most people who need to finance are more apt to buy at a lot.

What year and what price? Honda owners do tend to overvalue their buggies - it's not like there aren't of ton of them for sale.
'98 Civic for $6500?

ckooi

Monkey
Aug 19, 2002
Penang, Malaysia
i have just sold my Nissan March 1.0 (yr 1986) :D

1st impression is very important, so if the car's interior is clean and paintwork is still ok. should have no prob.

good luck bro

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Cars.com

I've sold two through the site, both within 2 weeks of posting the ad. One buyer even drove to DC from Alabama to pick up the car.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
You may laugh about this, but it works. Get a hot girl to dress up in a bikini and hold up a "FOR SALE" sign in heels right next to your car during the middle of the afternoon. If you have parked the vehicle in a large parking lot with high traffic flow and visibility, you will sell the car in one day so long as you are asking fair market value. Worst case scenario, you get to hang out and watch the rubberneckers rearend each other, thereby ensuring good market exposure. :D

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
'98 Civic for $6500?
Link to Kelly Blue Book it should go directly to 1998 Honda Civic area zip code 98036.......you pick the options mileage and condition.

You are priced around blue book value (I guessed 72,000 miles on the car) but there are a lot of different models......

At times the market goes stagnant. Hopefully you can get some of that "graduation present" action. :D

PS- Use teh Little Nickel paper also....ads can't cost as much as the Seattle papers but it gets used by the locals that are more apt to call you up and swing by to look at the car.........

......oh and let your wife answer the phone, you might be pushing them away with your charm. ;) :)

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
The used car market sucks right now, it's prety much a buyers market.

In Ye Olde Automobile Trader, using Olympia as a base zip there are 2 EX Civics, one $6100, the other $5250.

Your price is too high if you are in a hurry to sell the car.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
Well it seems the Seattle Times is pretty effective. Still have the car, but I got 6-8 calls just yesterday.

Strangely, even though my ad says "2 dr", a couple of the people who called me aked if it was 2 or 4 door. And when I said 2 door, they said "Oh....thanks anyway."

And the weirdest one I got was a guy who only asked what my lowest price would be. I told him to make me an offer. (this is site-unseen mind you!). He offered me $5k. But I was a little sketched out by this guy. He was just "weird" on the phone. He asked me NOTHING about it. He just wanted to give me $5k cash and that was it, never having seen the car. Maybe I should have gone for it....but I don't think I wanted to get involved with him. He was likely going to use it as get-away car or something.

Feb 26, 2002
Virginia
A few months back I sold my wifes 96 civic, 96k miles, LX, 4D, great condition, single owner, no wrecks for 6.5k. I got it professionally cleaned and detailed, looked sweet. 2D is a tough sell especially to people with kids.

I found the most popular 100% classifieds weekly paper, then advertised in it. Found the paper in 7-11.

Maybe emphasize the single owner? People sometimes care about that. My wife was religious about oil changes + maintenance, people seemed to like that too.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Put a massive exhaust tip on it, put an ugly snowplow body kit on, put some neon piping on the engine, and claim its been performance enhanced or something.

Oh yes, can't forget the large airplane elevator on the trunk...:rolleyes: