Quantcast

Most Versatile: Bottlerocket or Konig

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
*erase my other thread if you like*

Which is a more versatile "do-it-all" bike...the BR or Konig? It is only between these 2 bikes.

I am leaning towards the BR since its been tried and trued, but I have found a lightly used 09' Konig frame for 850ish...do I snatch the boutique bike or dish out extra $ for a left over 09' Bottlerocket frame? the price difference is not the issue, its which will serve me better.

I guess the real question is, Is the konig as versatile as the BR? (DJ/AM/FR...I know the rocket can handle all 3)

Sorry for the sorta double thread but the question has changed for me...I just want to make the first purchase the right one.

Last edited:

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Since the Konig has an interrupted seat tube I'd have to say the BR would be the better choice for AM. It will be more plush as well, the Konig is a true Slopestyle/4x frame while the BR is more of a short travel FR frame. The Konig will be a better DJ bike by a decent margin.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
The bikes are really similar. The BR is going to be a bit heavier, I'm guessing, but also seems to be a more all-around bike because of the extra beef. There is not much you can't do on a BR, really.

I'm also a fan of the 1.5 headtube.

DamienD

Monkey
Nov 6, 2007
Bothell
konig still wins. you can ride trails, slopestyle stuff, XC,and DH and all in one day!!!! its all about personal preference and that means the konigs the best

Dethklok

Monkey
Jul 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Has anyone riden both? can anyone give me a side by side comparison of the two?

Whichever one I end up with I will probally throw on a hammerschmidt and some sort of suspension that has a pedal/lockout setting

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I haven't ridden a konig, but you can't raise and lower your saddle much with it being interrupted.
I had a bottle rocket and did everything with it. strait seat tube at a good angle for pedaling up and you can slam it for the rest. no need to buy 2 seat posts or stand to pedal up. also the low pivot is perfect for the hammerschmit.

also www.dropnzone.com has small v1 bottle rockets for sale for $985, v1 had a smaller pivots by the dropouts.

climbingbubba

Monkey
May 24, 2007
I have ridden both and owned 1. I owned a bottlerocket for 1.5 seasons and it was my do all, everything bike. Back then i only owned one bike and rode XC, DJ's, DH, FR, well pretty much everything. I wouldn't call it great at XC or DJ's but it definately worked. it was ok at everything and only really good on smooth, flowy trails.

The konig is an awesome bike too though. I have had 2 days at the local jump park on it. It kills the DJ's. It is a true slopestyle bike. The suspension is really stiff though and its meant to be. its made to jump well and be really snappy and poppy. This and the interupted seat tube make it almost unusable for AM.

This is a pretty unbiased opinion too because i sold the BR 2 seasons ago and have never missed it for a minute. I almost bought a konig for my jump bike but got a transition double instead. still might get a konig if i can find a used long frame for cheap. I feel there are many better options out their for what you are describing. for instance

intense SS
specialized SX trail
giant reign X
corsair marque
santa cruz nomad

all will do almost everything better in every aspect (except full on DJ's) than either of those two bikes. these are all way more well rounded bikes.

the BR and the konig are amazing for what they are designed for, Slopestyle.

for referance i have owned the following
banshee morphine
transition dirtbag
transition bottlerocket
nicolai ufo st
intense slopestyle
intense socom (very briefly)
transition double (3.5" version)
canfield jedi (current DH bike)
santa cruz nomad (current AM bike)
transition double (4" version, current DJ bike)

sorry for the long post, if you have any other specific questions feel free to PM me. also if you don't end up getting the corsair and don't mind passing a good price along then let me know.

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
take a look at sicklines.com They do a park bike build up with the bottle rocket, the konig, intense ss, and the banshee wildcard frames. Email them for their two cents.

chuckie

Monkey
Jul 2, 2007
I have ridden both and owned 1. I owned a bottlerocket for 1.5 seasons and it was my do all, everything bike. Back then i only owned one bike and rode XC, DJ's, DH, FR, well pretty much everything. I wouldn't call it great at XC or DJ's but it definately worked. it was ok at everything and only really good on smooth, flowy trails.

The konig is an awesome bike too though. I have had 2 days at the local jump park on it. It kills the DJ's. It is a true slopestyle bike. The suspension is really stiff though and its meant to be. its made to jump well and be really snappy and poppy. This and the interupted seat tube make it almost unusable for AM.

This is a pretty unbiased opinion too because i sold the BR 2 seasons ago and have never missed it for a minute. I almost bought a konig for my jump bike but got a transition double instead. still might get a konig if i can find a used long frame for cheap. I feel there are many better options out their for what you are describing. for instance

intense SS
specialized SX trail
giant reign X
corsair marque
santa cruz nomad

all will do almost everything better in every aspect (except full on DJ's) than either of those two bikes. these are all way more well rounded bikes.

would a commencal supreme 6 mini DH be a worthy inclusion to that list climbingbubba?

Feb 9, 2010
Slow Cal
would a commencal supreme 6 mini DH be a worthy inclusion to that list climbingbubba?
I don't know how tall you are, but if you are a tall guy, the 13" slopestyle seat tube won't work well for pedaling. you might want to look into more of an all mountain frame if you plan on any pedaling.

I recomend the nomad or the SX trail or the reign X.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I think you're right on with the bottlerocket. Corsairs are great to jump but no seat tube adjustment sucks for AM.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
Having owned an Sx Trail, Double and rode a BR for a short time, the SXT is the best do all bike. Problem with.the BR is that it is heavy. The SXT has more travel can be built up lighter, handles dh, fr, xc and is really stable in the air. I also love my double but I may build up a Sinister Gruitr just for a little more travel.