Quantcast

Motherboards? Video Cards?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I'm thinking I need a new motherboard. My computer keeps restarting itself, and its only registering 960 megs of ram instead of the full gig. My neighbor is a computer science grad student and came over to look at it, ran a memory check program, and everything checked out fine. We reformatted it and reinstalled WinXP Pro, still messed up.

I have an Atholon XP 3000+ and A gig of DDR PC2700 Ram. I'm guess if I'm gonna get a new MB, I may as well look for room for expansion. I don't really see myself having more than 2ish gigs of RAM. so somthing that will support 2 gigs should be fine.

I want at least 4 PCI Slots and at least one AGP slot.

Besides that, I don't really care, as long as there is no integrated crappy stuff, which brings me to my next question...

The Motherboard I have now has an integrated video card. If I were to get a new MB without integrated crappy stuff, I need a good video card. I want to be able to support 2 monitors in the future for video editing stuff. Want somthing with a supple amount of memory, but I dont need anything with crazy amounts of memory.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
depends for what. nvidia chips are usually for gaming.

for around less than 50 bucks. i think the best would be a geforce 4mx. (40 i think, but a bit dated) for a bit more, the geforce ti4200 (kick ass card), maybe around 80.

for multimedia things??? i dont know much, but i´ve read that the best 2d multimedia cards are the matrox. there is the parnhelia, which supports 3 vgas natively. but kinda expensive.

ati´s, i dont know much, but anything below the 9600s are dated, and not fully support new stuff. and the 9800 kicks ass, but its expensive.

for prices

pricewatch.com its a guide for the lowest prices on the net on everthing computers.

BUCKET

Monkey
Apr 30, 2004
Rocktown, VA
You may want to troubleshoot the problem a little farther before sinking money and time into a motherboard, ram, etc. which may not even fix the problem. It could be a number of things; hard drive, power supply or viral.

NOTE: Online survival time with an unpatched Windows PC with no AV/Firewall software, or out of date software, and is connected to the internet with a high speed connection has a survival time of less than 20 minutes! This means that your PC will most likely be corrupted by some kind of worm or virus in that time frame.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Go to www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com

They have the best prices and almost immediate shipping, plus Tiger Direct is having a sale on video cards right now.

I would buy a ATI Radion 9600 Pro, you can get one for under $150 and they are sweet. Personally I have a Chaintech motherboard and has been really good to me, plus they are a great value.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
BUCKET said:
You may want to troubleshoot the problem a little farther before sinking money and time into a motherboard, ram, etc. which may not even fix the problem. It could be a number of things; hard drive, power supply or viral.

NOTE: Online survival time with an unpatched Windows PC with no AV/Firewall software, or out of date software, and is connected to the internet with a high speed connection has a survival time of less than 20 minutes! This means that your PC will most likely be corrupted by some kind of worm or virus in that time frame.
I have SP2, and Norton Anti Virus..........

My neighbor is a computer science grad student, and she thinks its most likely the video card. She got me some we are gonna try, for troubleshooting purposes.

Thanks all for you responses and help!