Quantcast

Motivation gone...

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Hi. I´m looking for some motivation. Can someone please tell me how to find it again?

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Hi. I´m looking for some motivation. Can someone please tell me how to find it again?

usually when this happens to me, it's because I'm riding my same ol, same ol trails the same ol same ol way.

One of three things usually works for me.

1. Find some new, way gnarlier/faster/bigger trails to challange yourself

2. Ride with people way gnarlier/faster than you who force you to push yourself on those trails.

3. Switch it up some, go ride some street or DJ, maybe even a little XC...

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Take up country line dancing, sychronized swimming, curling, or a similar activity. You're motivation will come back real quick.

pelo

Monkey
Jun 11, 2007
Thanks guys. I feel libarated. I obviously need a dirtbike, some crystallized methamphetaminesand (or cocaine) and a really gnarly trail to go on for 48h straight. When I eventually land, I will put my nose between two boobs and just keep on motivating from there.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yes you do. Ride the same trails you ride on your MTB on the moto, and once you realize how much faster the moto is, there's a lot of motivation to make those same speeds happen on the MTB.
Yup. Throw it into neutral and kill the motor, and enjoy the stability from the 200 lb bike and suspension that is better than any MTB suspension.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
All ass-hattery aside, there's some good suggestions here. Try different kinds of riding - this will also help you when you do get back on your DH bike. Or just take some time off from riding in general. I've gotten burnt out before and this has worked for me. Don't worry, you'll get the itch again sooner than you think.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Yup. Throw it into neutral and kill the motor, and enjoy the stability from the 200 lb bike and suspension that is better than any MTB suspension.
What? No. Rev that thing out and pin it down any trail, and you'll be smiling ear to ear within seconds. And probably pretty terrified the first few times.

Using the motor to blast through corners and over rocks makes even mellow trails a whole new adrenaline experience. Then you get back on the bicycle with a whole new perspective.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
What? No. Rev that thing out and pin it down any trail, and you'll be smiling ear to ear within seconds. And probably pretty terrified the first few times.

Using the motor to blast through corners and over rocks makes even mellow trails a whole new adrenaline experience. Then you get back on the bicycle with a whole new perspective.
No need if it's a freefall to begin with! I agree though, nothing like that instant speed on a DH without having to pump through anything, but it helps.

I'm pretty sure motos have been down F. I can't imagine they were using much throttle. What have you been taking the YZ on?

Wigga

Monkey
Jul 27, 2004
kirkland
in my humble opinion you druggies got it all wrong.

coke and meth your going to be all twitchy on the bike, doesnt make you want to go outside either. and minor issue of you heart exploding. mushrooms will motivate you like none other. the trees will become alive and ask you to come hang with them, your line becomes shown to you as a cascading waterfall of dirt and rocks opening up to the pinner line in front of you. want motivation to ride faster? get chased down the trail by smaug while bilbo cheers you on from the sidelines.

yeah you should probably get a dirt bike instead...

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
hahaha. priceless

in my humble opinion you druggies got it all wrong.

coke and meth your going to be all twitchy on the bike, doesnt make you want to go outside either. and minor issue of you heart exploding. mushrooms will motivate you like none other. the trees will become alive and ask you to come hang with them, your line becomes shown to you as a cascading waterfall of dirt and rocks opening up to the pinner line in front of you. want motivation to ride faster? get chased down the trail by smaug while bilbo cheers you on from the sidelines.

yeah you should probably get a dirt bike instead...

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Sooo many good ideas for next season. If it weren't in the 30's right now I would try some of these today.

MisterMental

Monkey
Jul 26, 2002
UK
dont try gate starts on disco biscuits tho i did it once and pulled so hard my bars ended up at 90degrees to the direction of travel and i rolled a tyre. not fun. mind you i got it pumped back up in record time! drugs are bad people stay away! (says the retired coke fiend)

Apr 16, 2006
Golden, CO
Yea disco biscuits would definitely not help you focus on the trail.

The locals around here prefer scooby snacks as a post ride treat. Definately seems to motivate them to ride, you should give em a try Pelo.