Quantcast

Moto DOT Helmets

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Gimme your opinions on what's the best bang for buck...got a mild concussion in my Mad Max today, so I'll be needing a new lid (And I just got my Mad Max a couple months ago :(). Anyway, after reading up on how a moto helmet protects your better than a non-moto fullface, I think I want one. However, I'm not sure where to look...sure there's TLD, but I'm on a budget...Just trying to get a gauge of what's out there.

I think I'll check out Go-Ride and some moto stores to try on some...If I really absolutely hate moto helmets, I think I'll pickup a Giro Remedy or a Vigor Carbon from GR.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I like the 661 helmets. The flight is nice, but it's msrp is also $400. The launch's msrp is $125, which will probably be my next helmet.

The flight has the plastic/rubber roost guard thing which looks like it would limit vision. I would take it off as you don't come across roosts too much mtbing.

I heard the FoX V3's are really nice, but they are up there with the flight($$$). Their cheaper ones look pretty good too.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I haven't had one yet, but I think I heard that they can take more...

After ragdolling down a cliff onto a rock, it would be a good idea to replace a helmet. I'm not completely sure what kind / how hard of a crash justifies replacing it (other than the obvious).

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Just read an old thread...same standard applies.

I think I wreck/suck enough to justify a moto helmet...but the Vigor carbons GR has are so sexy and light...

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
I ride with an HJC Moto Snell M2000/DOT helmet. They're about $140 at most LMS (Local Motorcycle Shops).

That said, yes you have to replace them if you crash hard.

No they won't protect you from a concussion. Nothing will keep your brain from sloshing around in your skull in an impact. A MX helmet will keep your brains in your skull better however.

Mike

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
The HJC AC-X2 is a very good helmet for quite a reasonable price.

I'm very satisfied with mine.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I have the new Giro Remedy and love it. I have had a few other DH and nice Moto helmets in my days. I can say the Remedy is much better than the new 661, Fury, Mad Max, and Bell DH helmets. It is more like a Moto helmet. If you do go with a Moto, I liked the Oneal Titan. I had one when I had my CR250 about 6 months back. Very light weight. You can get one for around $165 to $195.

Good Luck!!!

nmjb

Monkey
Apr 26, 2005
Idyllwild, CA
I have a Fly Lite III moto helmet and love it. It is really light and comfortable, and was around $200. The vents seem to work well, although it is still hotter than a DH helmet.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
sayndesyn said:
Check out the new Thor Force helmets. Not bad once you cut out the roost guard and pretty cheap and nice graphics to boot. I think I got mine for 150 from a moto warehouse online.

Thor is a good option; their helmets are pretty light and they have a helmet for every budget.

Also, check out Fly's helmets. They seem to be a pretty popular with BMX racers. Like Thor, Fly has a helmet for everyone.

http://flyracing.com/indexy.php

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Dartman said:
No they won't protect you from a concussion. Nothing will keep your brain from sloshing around in your skull in an impact. A MX helmet will keep your brains in your skull better however.
Yeah, I know. Sucks. I bought my Mad Max before finding out all this fun DOT certification stuff, and now MTB helmets kinda scare me. I'll have to look into that Thor stuff.

Edit: Dumb question, what's a roost guard? I know a roost is the **** motos kick up, right...

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Go with DOT/Snell approved helmets. And don't ever think that you're on a budget when buying a helmet... You can be on a budget when you buy bread. Not when you're doing 35 down a fireroad on a contact patch no larger than a moose's ball sack.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
a roost guard is the hard plastic "chest protector" that prevents moto roost from pounding your chest.

i would reconsider the moto helmet. this has been discussed before (search the forum). the moto hemets are padded with stiffer layers because they intend for you to hit with a harder impact. that is good for those hard moto-speed impacts, but will be worse for you on slower mtb hits. in fact, the go-ride peeps commentd about this in one of the threads. call them. they will probably try to steer you away from a moto lid.

my favorite helmet right now is the specialized hucker. it is close to moto, but still mtb rated.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Azonic/oneal venom. it's carbon so it's a bit lighter than some of the other moto helmets, and while it is stupidly hot, i just strap it to my camel back whenever the trail goes up.

dhpimp

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
MILFS BEDROOM
maxyedor said:
Fly racing here, got mine for like $60, works great.
Not trying to sound like a dink or anything, but how can you a helmet "work great" ?? :confused: Helmets fit great depending on your helmet/melon interface ...

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
I'll vouch for HJC helmets as well. I've been using their 'chromium' AC-X2 lid since late 04 and its realy top notch stuff. Liner is realy comfy and cool (I think its 'coolmax') and all removable for cleaning. If I were to get another moto lid today it would be the carbon AC-X3

heather123

Chimp
Sep 1, 2005
I have a fly that is dot and snell 2000 certified and was only $80.00. Also the advandages are worth the extra weight. You can order different size cheek pads (25-40mm) to customize the fit. The snell certification goes beyond the CSC certification for helmets. Check out there website for a list of tested helmets. I did lots of research on helmets while completing my masters and the snell certification is the toughest out there. I also wear a mouth piece when I ride. It reduces the chance of getting a concussion by 33%. In undergrad I did a research project on oral injuries in sports. Impacts on the jaw causes concussions too. Also I want to look like a mountain biker not a hockey player when not on the bike. Good luck with your search! If anyone want references let me know.

mcrae2112

Chimp
Mar 15, 2006
Duvall
I've been running a mx helmet because they seem to be a little stronger and last longer. The newer ones are plenty light and confortable as well. One industries makes a sick helmet called the trooper that feels crazy light and comfortable on your head. Probably the best helmet I've found. Its hard to stay on a budget if your trying to buy a nice helmet that will last. You might as well spend the money for a good one if you hit your head a lot.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Just picked up an HJC AC-X3 composite from a moto shop for 175$...It's not that heavy, but I can tell the weight difference from my Mad Max (duh). We'll see how it holds up when I'm not so sore on Monday-ish.

I hate the graphics. Wish there was a flat black one. How hard is it to get a helmet painted?

Quamen

Chimp
May 18, 2006
England
The Fox Traser is a great Moto Helmet and it is cheap as chips less then £100 in the UK and looks good, I have it in black/White

Q

droplover

Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
Colorado
Secret Squirrel said:
Go with DOT/Snell approved helmets. And don't ever think that you're on a budget when buying a helmet... You can be on a budget when you buy bread. Not when you're doing 35 down a fireroad on a contact patch no larger than a moose's ball sack.
:rofl:

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
Everyone should keep in mind that a DOT SNELL rated helmet is designed for impacts above 40mph or so....that being said if you go down and hit your head going slower than that it will not protect as well as a mtb helmet will, due to the fact that the styrofoam will not crush as much thus absorbing the full impact....just and fyi from someone who has gone down in both at both speeds...if you intend on just racing/rideing dh in it at full speed go for it, if not go with a good quality full face helmet mtb helmet. Pryme makes a carbon full face that is supposed to be really nice and only retails for about $140 at www.danscomp.com