Quantcast

moto for downhill

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
I have a 4 stroke but wish I had bought a two stroke. Cheaper and less maint. I will say that the reason Honda, Kawi, Yam., Suz went 4 stroke also has to do with factory mechanics doing motor builds on 2 strokes for $200.
The 4 stroke is 3-5X that much cash and most people dont want to spend the time. And if a 4 stroke needs 2X the CC size to compete then well the are SLOWER! Ok but easier to ride.
This is pretty much just incorrect. I don't have a clue where you are getting 3 to 5 times as much for 4 stroke maintenance. The main difference between 4s and 2s is the addition of a valve train. It's true this is one of the most common points of maintenance on the 4 stroke. You also have an oil circuit that isnt there on the 2 stoke. I cracked an engine case on my kawi and did a complete bottom end replacement as well as a new piston. The cost was about 1400 dollars in parts, built the motor myself. Had the same problem occured on a two stroke, the same list of parts would be about 1000. But the truth is, with the level at which most people ride, if you start with a decently fresh bike, odds are you are never going to have a catastrophic failure. If you ride a bike for several years you are probably going to be looking at valve replacement, but that's about it. As far as a 4 stroke being slower, that's just dumb, sure the displacement is bigger, but who cares? What matters is fuel consumption and weight, and power. Weight is a bit higher, but fuel consumption is far better. The difference is that a 4 stroke makes torque and power through much more the the powerband, make it more usuable and tractable. All that put aside, anyone who knows their asshole from their earhole knows that a 4 stroke is faster around the track. There is a good reason why everyone in motocross switched. Even with the rule that allowed 250 two strokes to compete in the 250f class this past season, very few bothered. Peak power may be way higher, but it's usable power that matters.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
This is pretty much just incorrect. I don't have a clue where you are getting 3 to 5 times as much for 4 stroke maintenance. The main difference between 4s and 2s is the addition of a valve train. It's true this is one of the most common points of maintenance on the 4 stroke. You also have an oil circuit that isnt there on the 2 stoke. I cracked an engine case on my kawi and did a complete bottom end replacement as well as a new piston. The cost was about 1400 dollars in parts, built the motor myself. Had the same problem occured on a two stroke, the same list of parts would be about 1000. But the truth is, with the level at which most people ride, if you start with a decently fresh bike, odds are you are never going to have a catastrophic failure. If you ride a bike for several years you are probably going to be looking at valve replacement, but that's about it. As far as a 4 stroke being slower, that's just dumb, sure the displacement is bigger, but who cares? What matters is fuel consumption and weight, and power. Weight is a bit higher, but fuel consumption is far better. The difference is that a 4 stroke makes torque and power through much more the the powerband, make it more usuable and tractable. All that put aside, anyone who knows their asshole from their earhole knows that a 4 stroke is faster around the track. There is a good reason why everyone in motocross switched. Even with the rule that allowed 250 two strokes to compete in the 250f class this past season, very few bothered. Peak power may be way higher, but it's usable power that matters.
The motor rebuilds that companies were concerned with has been talked about in the industry for a number of years. My friend that is a RnD engineer at Showa pretty much agrees with that. That is where I got it from. Piston and ring job in 30 minutes anyone? Again this is speculation from industry insiders but many people think is this feasible.

4 stroke is faster around a track for any unexperienced rider. A Pro who started on a smoker will be just as fast on that as a 4 banger.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I think profro has it right. It's harder to get in over your head on the 2t. I can have fun on my 2stroke riding up what on a DH bike I consider tame trails because the throttle, clutch and body position all have to be perfect just to make it up the trail. The challenge of it makes it fun.

When I'm having a good lap, I'm flying on the pipe, and I doubt I could do it any faster on a 4t. When I get it wrong, well, I'm just not moving. "Doing it wrong" on the four stroke means whacking the throttle open and shooting into the trees or way over the jump or whacking the throttle closed, losing the back end in a turn or nose diving.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I got jacked up today on this jump. I got a little over confident I could clear it with no run at it. I wasn't paying attention and was in first gear coming out of the corner before it and clicked 2nd on the face. Well, I was going to land about 50 foot and the lip is about 55 foot out. I tried to stretch it out but it didn't work and I lowsided on the backside of the jump. Thought I broke my leg in the same spot as before. Pretty sure I just twisted my ankle bad.

Attachments

Last edited:

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
That sucks man! Looks like some nice dirt though. Kinda tired of our CA tracks.

I had a sick weeknd, rode DH all day Sat. and then hit up the moto track on Sunday. Pretty sweet because they put sand in every corner and on a bunch of straits. Got some pics. of myself, and some friends.

My baby

My friend Traver

Some random guy

A really fast random guy!

Me

I take dirt samples every now and then :P

Last lap messing around on a tiny jump.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
nice pictures. Yeah, our dirt is really good ranging from sand to organic to clay loam. That track is clay loam and about the worst conditions of any good local track. Very similar to indoor SX/AX dirt. The DH sucks in Michigan but at least I have a half dozen national quality tracks within an hour of my house including Red Bud.

The ankle is mostly better today. Weird. I could hardly walk on Sunday and was just getting by on Monday morning even wearing my ankle brace. It loosened up in the afternoon and feels good today. The only thing I can think of is that I broke some scar tissue loose. My flexibility had sucked since I broke my leg a couple of years ago.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
At least its getting better CK!
5150 the track out 166 in the valley is cool. It is more SX based with a bunch of jumps. You need to get up to Hangtown. Although the pro track has reputably the best dirt in the world. there are 4-5 ingredients making it! Here are some pics I can post now. Let me know what you guys think?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
ianjenn: that track looks awesome. Some day I will take a long vacation and drive out to watch A1 and another CA race. Then I can bring my MX bike. Are your tracks open all winter?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
ianjenn: that track looks awesome. Some day I will take a long vacation and drive out to watch A1 and another CA race. Then I can bring my MX bike. Are your tracks open all winter?
I live in San Luis Obispo and most of the ones around here are depending on rainfall. You could do Glen Helen and Hangtown back to back. And stop at near by tracks on the way?

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
You live in San Luis? Sweeeet! Come on down to SB and come riding. I'm usually hitting up local DH trails on one of the weekends and then ride Zaca on the other day, haha.

Awesome photos by the way. Been meaning to get out to some other tracks, but lack the money to do so, since my DH rig is literally cracking in half. I figure that I'll be racing Pro for the second season in a row and riding a 2006 frame is kinda dumb!
But ya, my buddy Branden said Hangtown is absolutely amazing, so I gotta head out there!

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
You live in San Luis? Sweeeet! Come on down to SB and come riding. I'm usually hitting up local DH trails on one of the weekends and then ride Zaca on the other day, haha.

Awesome photos by the way. Been meaning to get out to some other tracks, but lack the money to do so, since my DH rig is literally cracking in half. I figure that I'll be racing Pro for the second season in a row and riding a 2006 frame is kinda dumb!
But ya, my buddy Branden said Hangtown is absolutely amazing, so I gotta head out there!
Yea I got another MX bike about 1 year ago. havent ridden it a whole bunch. But need to. It been since 1993 since I have had one. I shot images at Zaca it seems cool. Easier to ride than the one in the valley I went to.

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA

duuude, theory is great, but in real life alot of people end up putting alot more money to keep a 4stroke running than a 2stroke. Yes, 2strokes are more powerful, obviously since a 250 2stroke sits in between a 250f and 450f powerwise. Are the 4strokes easier to ride on most tracks? sure are but the 2strokes are still fun as hell.
On an amateur level, plenty of people have switched back to 2strokes, the rule of 250s vs 250f did not take effect for pro level racing.

Another can of works is supermoto. I ride a crf450 for that/road course and I am one of a few 450s that have not blown up this year. I change my oils and filter everytime I ride and check my valves.
Other crf450s? 4 out of 6 or 7 I know of have blown up this year including an 09
ktms- 2 out of 3
yamaha yzfs- at least 1 out of 3 I know of

Here is me on my 09 yz250 and abunch of 250f and 450fs behind me:thumb:

Attachments

mountains4me

Chimp
Sep 18, 2009
It is funny, I got into DH because I was not able to ride moto that often. Now i like dh biking better than moto. But bike wise, if you want low maintenance easy to work on, go 2 stroke. My brother is a moto mechanic and he says 4 strokes require alot more maintenance. But if you like the way 4 strokes rides and don't mind the maintenance plus the cash to pay for it go for the 4 stroker. Just do your research on all the factors before you buy.