Quantcast

Moto meets DH

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
the idea that an MX could even approach the same trails universally is ludicrous.
I'm guessing you don't ride dirt bikes either? There's lots of non-riding dirt bike experts on this forum today!!

No hate, but this kind of bike already exists. It's called a trials bike. Check out GasGas, Beta, ect. Better performance and quality, and will do the job better.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I'm guessing you don't ride dirt bikes either? There's lots of non-riding dirt bike experts on this forum today!!

No hate, but this kind of bike already exists. It's called a trials bike. Check out GasGas, Beta, ect. Better performance and quality, and will do the job better.
Assumptions - best not to make those.

Im not a proponent or opposed, I just tire of hearing people compare MX and DH and play MX as the big brother. It's not, it's a sophomoric endeavor at best.

I would agree that a trials bike seems a better fit for the niche, but that thing is definitely not a trials bike. A light duty moto that uses the motor for the shuttle mostly and a gravity fed descent seems like good, albeit immature, idea to me. *AND* Without the intense trail impact that OHV's traditionally have.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler

They're not the same thing at all. Trials bikes are designed for low speed manoeuvres, especially on the back wheel. DH bikes are built for primarily for traction and cornering. I could see that thing being a hell of a lot of fun - enough power to keep up DH-type speed on flatter trails where you just can't pedal hard enough to keep the speed up, or just cruise up a fire road to the top of your DH trail and coast down. It's not an attempt at an enduro bike, it's not an attempt at a trials bike, it's simply yet another niche that you could exploit if you weren't so closed minded about it.

BTW anyone who thinks they could ride a MX bike down ALL my local dh trails is kidding themselves. Sure it's entirely possible on some tracks, but a lot of stuff we ride is far too tight to be able to actually fit a MX bike on. That Derbi however...

Oh and you ride your moto on DH trails? So YOU'RE one of those people who rips up DH tracks for other people. Thanks, it's much appreciated to find 10 inch deep ruts running directly up sections of track. I don't have anything against you personally so don't take it that way, but I don't like it when people mix DH and motos - they're different horses for different courses.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Oh and you ride your moto on DH trails? So YOU'RE one of those people who rips up DH tracks for other people. Thanks, it's much appreciated to find 10 inch deep ruts running directly up sections of track. I don't have anything against you personally so don't take it that way, but I don't like it when people mix DH and motos - they're different horses for different courses.
No dick. My moto club has a private riding area that they let us build/run DH bikes on as well, only rule is the motos can ride them too, their not exclusive trails. So ASSume all you want but your wrong. Those different "horses" have alot in common. If you'd open up that narrow mind you might see that. Have fun with your kiddy moto bike, it looks like giggles.

P.S. You don't like it when people mix DH and Moto, but you think this DH/moto bike is a good idea?? The contradiction is awesome. This thread is boring. I'm going to spend the weekend riding my real dirt bike, running over bunnies, and killing mother nature now.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
No dick. My moto club has a private riding area that they let us build/run DH bikes on as well, only rule is the motos can ride them too, their not exclusive trails. So ASSume all you want but your wrong. Those different "horses" have alot in common. If you'd open up that narrow mind you might see that. Have fun with your kiddy moto bike, it looks like giggles.

P.S. You don't like it when people mix DH and Moto, but you think this DH/moto bike is a good idea?? The contradiction is awesome. This thread is boring. I'm going to spend the weekend riding my real dirt bike, running over bunnies, and killing mother nature now.
Thanks for clearing that up, and you're right - what I said was contradictory, I should have said I don't like MX bikes on DH trails. But good on you for totally missing the point - that Derbi thing isn't a MX bike or a trials bike, nobody's pretending it is, except people like you who are bitching about it not being powerful enough (or high enough quality - you must have an awesome eye if you can judge that from a photo). In riding terms, all it really is, is a heavy DH bike that you don't have to pedal. If it's got 8hp or something that'll get you up a hill or keep up a good pace on flat ground no worries, but it's not going to tear courses to shreds like real dirtbikes do either. I'd love to see you get your moto down half of our tracks. I've watched people try and fail before - even if you're an awesome rider there are places where motos will literally just not fit. That Derbi thing would have no issues however.Your problem is that you see it as an attempt to somehow replace or compete with existing bikes, and you're bagging the crap out of it on those grounds instead of working out what you might actually use such a thing for. THAT is closed minded. Will it go as fast in a straight line as a real moto? No. Will it be as light and agile as a normal DH bike? No. Does it have the potential to be a hell of a lot of fun anyway? Hell yes.

As a tree-cutting, petrol-burning rabbit shooter, I'm not terribly offended by you going and attempting to "kill mother nature" on your moto... last line does reek a bit of "This game sucks anyway, I'm taking my bat and ball and going home" though.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I just rode Sovereign Sinletrack on my WR290 and when this new breed of small engine (or electric) ultalight dirtbikes gets sorted out I'm selling said WR to get one. I think my DH bike handles better than my moto mostly because of the weight. You end up using the power and clutch to make up for the excess weight and I imagine that getting down to 100lb would make 15-20 hp reasonable and it would handle more like my DH bike. Plus less weight and power means less wear on the trail.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Sorry to dissent, but I think this is a really good opportunity. Reminds of the Electricmoto Blade slightly, but Emoto took a disappointingly moto approach to their electric bike, and left trail riding in the dust, so to speak. Still, I think bikes like the M85, FXbike, and Derbi definitely have a place...you just have to open your mind a little bit. You aren't limited to riding downhill anymore, you could ride on flat ground just as fast on these bikes, and you won't destroy the trails as you do. Instead of having to go to a mountain for this kind of riding, you could go to a local spot, rent a bike, then ride it all day. Places could open that can't afford lifts or don't have the financial backing to operate one.

I agree, this is no replacement for an MX bike or Enduro, but I think that's a good thing. I'd love to see more electric DH bikes vs. gas, but I think these would be fun as hell.