Quantcast

Motorcycles... What do you think?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I am looking at getting a big scooter to save on gas, have fun, and save on gas. The plan behind the scooter was to get it so my wife could ride it too. Whilst I was looking for a big one, we found a cheap small one that she liked, so we picked it up.

So now.... I am debating over getting a big scooter, or a motorcycle. I'm kind of leaning toward a real bike now, because I can get one for the same price as the scooter. Mileage is not as good, 45-50mpg vs 70-75, but... it'd be a bike.

I found this one on Craigslist in my area.... What do you think?

http://richmond.craigslist.org/mcy/739157454.html

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Sportsters are chick bikes. Seriously. Don't take it to Sturgis.

Edit: For $1300, you can get a Chinese scooter that does better than 50 MPH and they are fun as hell. A few people at work are rockin' them and I think I'm buying one soon.

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
I have 4

2006 honda VFR 800
2004 honda valkyrie F-6
2007 Suzuki 400SM
2005 BMW GS 1200 adventure

I am building a custom airbagged 115 inch V-twin chopper for the bar hops and rallies

the valkyrie would be a great bike you and the woman, pretty stout and comfortable and you can find the 99 era bike for under 4 grand

I am pretty sure you might regret buying a sportster

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
It's getting to the point to where I do not even look out for scooter riders anymore. They are the most oblivious to their surroundings, knuckle dragging motorists, bar none.

Get a motorcycle.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA

Choice is simple really....
Funny you should post that. I just ordered all black plastics and polished supermoto wheels for my '08 EXC 450. It's already ridiculously fun on the street with the knobbies, can't wait for the SM wheels, gonna be too much trouble for sure....

Mike, get a Suzuki DRZ 400SM. 6K and ready for fun right out of the box.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Street bikes don't interest me at all. I don't want to have that much power geared that way under me. I can control my actions, but not all the time!

I am looking for comfort, gas mileage, a second seat (maybe with a gay back rest) and some more comfort and gas mileage.

I'm looking used, under $4k . Any ideas?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
oh, and on the scooter driving thing, I am always defensive on it, but the others out there who really don't think they are a "motor vehicle" and have to abide by the rulse of the road drive me batty.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I'm going to find some black plastics for my 380 MXC pretty soon. All black, no decals. When/if I toast the stock wheelset on it, I'll rebuild them with black rims.

I personally have no interest in riding a supermoto. I got myself into far too many "SH!!!T" spots with an underpowered DR350 just by being on the road. I just think the all black Katooms look dead sexy.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
01-05 Yamaha FZ1 is what you seek.

45mpg, 2 up riding without issue, easy to ride from idle to 6k, a blast from 6k to 8k, a beast from 8k to rev limiter. Comfortable ride, yet easy to lean into when you want to haul ass.

Mine is an '03 with over 80k mikes. You can get one with under 10k miles for about $4000.

Mine is far from stock, but I've only got about $2800 total invested (insurance auction with salvaged title).

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I am looking for comfort, gas mileage, a second seat (maybe with a gay back rest) and some more comfort and gas mileage.

I'm looking used, under $4k . Any ideas?
Um that vintage Sporty is jarring as all get out. It's not the luxo barge like the bigger hardly ablesons. SV650, CB919, or just about any other big 4 "standard" will be more comfortable.

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I've got a 250cc Kymco scooter that I commute to work on 3-4 days a week. Took the motorcycle training course and don't consider myself an unaware "knuckle-dragger" though I agree with you that many of the Scooterists you do see know very little about riding.

I've also got a 1976 Honda gl1000 that I WAS trying to get up and running, but the deeper I get into it, the more messed up it seems to be. The previous owner backyard "repaired" much of the electrical system himself. I'm glad the battery was dead when I got it... turning the key with a good battery would've caught the damn thing on fire, teh wiring was so bad. So while I'd LOVE to get it on the road, I'm not prepared for the $1000 in parts and the next 6-months to get it safe. It's gonna go soon.

But I'd still love to have a motorcycle... probably a 450-650cc "traditional" bike along the lines of a shadow or nighthawk, etc. Not really into the crotch-rocket thing.

Good luck in your search!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
:stupid:

The SV is truly an awesome bike and a solid platform. They hold their resale value, so that's good and bad. But a lot of people buy them until they figure out they want something faster, or sportier, or more cruiser, so they sell it.

But as a commuter, it's a tough bike to beat. Very easy to handle and for lighter (sub 180#) riders, they have lots of usable power. I really like the SV1000, but I'm about 260#, so the 650 feels like a Vespa :D

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I'm going to find some black plastics for my 380 MXC pretty soon. All black, no decals. When/if I toast the stock wheelset on it, I'll rebuild them with black rims.

I personally have no interest in riding a supermoto. I got myself into far too many "SH!!!T" spots with an underpowered DR350 just by being on the road. I just think the all black Katooms look dead sexy.
My dirt wheels are black and they look awesome with the stock orange plastics but I wanted polished wheels to go with the black plastics plastic for a nice contrast. Black on black would look really good too though....

My 450 has plenty of power, it weighs about 235 lbs and is derestricted so it probably makes about 48HP or so roughly. A bunch of guys I work with have DR-Z's and when we ride I don't have to downshift to pass cars but they do. I think the DR-Z 400 weighs closer to 300 lbs and maybe makes 35 hp or so at the most.

Big Mike, I still think the DR-Z 400 SM is a bike you would absolutely love. It meets all your criteria and is a blast to ride, great starter bike for almost anyone....

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
That DR-Z doesn't look that comfortable as a commuting/around town bike.

I'm semi-serious about buying something, and if I go to look, I'll for sure look into it. I've just been looking on the interwebz for now, the SV-650 looks pretty nice too.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Super motos are cool if you race super moto. But they aren't very good for a commuter IMO. I tried to ride my Husaberg FC400 as a commuter and it was a joke compared to something like an SV650.

If you have only one bike and 2 sets of wheels, then you can make it work for dirt/street. But putting street tires on a dirt bike does not make it a street bike. If you don't mind having only 34.65 Hp @ 7,750Rpm (vs. 72hp @ 9000rpm for an SV650), then knock yourself out.

I have 140bhp on tap. Power to pass is never an issue.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
i picked this up about a month and a half ago. Ducati monster 620. It's been great to commute on. I test rode an SV but was way more comfortable on the Duc. Power is basically the same.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz

I have this for around Seattle. 1000cc, gets around 45 MPG with the new wheels and nicer exhaust, and has enough power and grunt to move when its time to go-go.

I think the reason most scooter folk are ****-tards is because they don't have the power to get out of the way. The other day for about six blocks I was behind some kid on one, totally tuned out, going 30 in the left hand lane of a six land 55mph zone.

Go with a bike, you'll be happier.

Might I suggest:

Ducati Hypermotard 1100. Great for around town. Soon as dh season is over I am getting me one of these.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I love Ducati's and might get one at some point. But the cost of maintenance is HUGE.

The Hypermotard is a sick looking bike, but it doesn't corner well above about 65 and even in the straights it felt too twitchy above 80. For the same money up front you can get this:
2007 KTM Super Duke 990 MSRP: $13998

NOT A GOOD FIRST BIKE, unless you have deep pockets and a death wish.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
My Ducatis have been pretty low in the whole upkeep end of things.

And you're right about the Hyper, but damn if its not fun around town.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
kawasaki ninja 250 perhaps? more power than a scooter, but not too much for someone who hasn't ridden a motorcycle before. not to mention cheap as well, they are $3500 brand new.

edit: i just realized that i didn't read any of the thread...

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
kawasaki ninja 250 perhaps? more power than a scooter, but not too much for someone who hasn't ridden a motorcycle before. not to mention cheap as well, they are $3500 brand new.

edit: i just realized that i didn't read any of the thread...
I guess I should also mention I am 6'3" and 200 lbs. A Ninja 250 is a bit small.... ;)

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I guess I should also mention I am 6'3" and 200 lbs. A Ninja 250 is a bit small.... ;)
I think you should just go with that Harley or one of those DR's. A big ass dude on a sport bike or a scooter is always something worthy of a good point and laugh.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I think you should just go with that Harley or one of those DR's. A big ass dude on a sport bike or a scooter is always something worthy of a good point and laugh.
Bite me. I'm 6'4" and 250-ish, but I look damn good on my bike.

Ninja 250, or a scooter, not so much :D

That being said, this is my next bike:

2006 R1 limited edition. 182bhp, Ohlins fork/shock, 50th Anniversary paint and logos.

DirtMcGirk

Feb 21, 2008
Oz
Bite me. I'm 6'4" and 250-ish, but I look damn good on my bike.

Ninja 250, or a scooter, not so much :D

That being said, this is my next bike:

2006 R1 limited edition. 182bhp, Ohlins fork/shock, 50th Anniversary paint and logos.
Its been really, really great getting to know you...