Quantcast

Motorcyclists, do you split lanes?

If you ride a motorcycle, do you slpit lanes?

• I usually split lanes in traffic.

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • I would never do this.

Votes: 13 28.3%
  • Lane splitting is illegal in my state. I don't do it.

Votes: 8 17.4%
  • Lane splitting is illegal in my state, but I do it anyway.

Votes: 5 10.9%

• Total voters

Prechrysler

Chimp
Aug 6, 2004
Always. I wouldn't want to hurt my motorcycle from having it sit idle in bumper to bumper traffic ;). Seriously though, I'm just as scared getting rear-ended as from being side-swiped. At least if I'm side-swiped I may have some control over the outcome.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
please translate. what does this mean?
There is a bit of space on either side of the car witih the lane.

When I'm on the motorcycle in crawling traffic, I look ahead to see which side of that white line I intend to put myself on. For example, let's say it lines up nicely and I can cruise easily on the left side of the cars. But then there's some truck that is too far to the left within that lane, requiring me to cross over the white line and travel on the right side of the cars in the next lane over.

You should not cross the white line when lane splitting. You should at least make your behavior somewhat predictable to those around you.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
In IL it illegal to split.

A couple weeks ago I was traveling at about 65 in pretty heavy Saturday trafic. A squid split the lanes at about 130 or so. Would I be responsible if I changed lanes and squished him?

I mean coming up on traffic at 130 is a little excessive.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
He's a squid. He should be squished.
*I split lanes, in CA, only in stopped traffic*

Random

Chimp
Aug 14, 2001
Joplin, MO
I would do it if it was legal. This is from the NHTSA page
A motorcycle’s narrow width can allow it to pass between lanes of stopped or slow-moving cars on roadways where the lanes are wide enough to offer an adequate gap. This option can provide an escape route for motorcyclists who would otherwise be trapped or struck from behind. There is evidence (Hurt, 1981) that traveling between lanes of stopped or slow-moving cars (i.e., lane splitting) on multiple-lane roads (such as interstate highways) slightly reduces crash frequency compared with staying within the lane and moving with other traffic.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I split lanes on my road bike all day long through traffic. Best part about commuting on bike you don't have to wait for lights.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I have done it to get on a Ferry before....(insert lude jokes here)

In WA state Bikes get on the Ferry first so I have ridden past the long line of cars and basically cut to the front of the line on a motorcycle.

Never just riding down the freeway, etc....at 5 mph along the side of the ferry line.

:o:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
I do it. I do not do it to get through heavy traffic. I do it because it is safer than not and wouldn't do it above 25 mph.

I think the important thing is to discern what lane splitting is. It is not passing on the right between a lane and the sidewalk/shoulder. Good luck with that Opie.

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
I just recently started commuting to work full time on the motorcycle instead of my truck. I don't really lane split. Not too comfortable with it.

Prechrysler

Chimp
Aug 6, 2004
I just recently started commuting to work full time on the motorcycle instead of my truck. I don't really lane split. Not too comfortable with it.
I think most people feel that way at first. I know I did. All it took was one time and I've been completely comfortable with it thenceforth.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Best part about commuting on bike you don't have to wait for lights.
Unless you're in bumper to bumper traffic...

Define waiting for a light. I treat most red lights on my bike as two way stops (MOST...depends on the light), but there are asshats who treat them as no-way stops...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I've done it in the past with my old R1. Absolutly no way I'll do that with my new (to me) Night Train. If I actually got a chance to ride it that is...
wow, you're alive! got any new tattoo stories to share? :D

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
wow, you're alive! got any new tattoo stories to share? :D

Geez, not really. I've only had one session on that big ol' coverup since october of last year. I couldn't get into DC (where I'm getting it done) that much.

Got another one from one of my friends last winter in a quonset hut. He used to be a full time tattoo artist before joining my gun club. Got a little infected but it looks pretty good.

nomav6

Chimp
Oct 14, 2005
I only do it at stop lights and stop signs, though it is illegal in kentucky, but I have done it between a cop in none moving traffic and he just sit there.