Quantcast

Mount Snow vs. Diablo

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
OK Monkeys, I am from Mont-Ste-Anne and I want to travel south for some DH'ing in the Uncle Sam country by the end of July. I have 3 destinations I would like to try, but can only afford one, so here is the million dollars questions, which one do you suggest me?

-Plattekill, New York
-Mount Snow, Vermont
-Diablo Freeride Park, New Jersey

Which on of these resort have the best DH trails, we are experience DH'er that ride some gnarly stuff here in Mont-Ste-Anne with full on DH bikes (Iron Horses Sunday's, Intense M3's). We love fast, flowy, and technical trails, we don't like those North Shore bridges and ladders sh*t tough.

Or if you have any other suggestions, bring them on! New Jersey would be the fartest we would like to drive (around 800 km from Mont-Ste-Anne).

Thanks!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Mt.Snow DH isnt so hot for recreational riding......great xc there but DH stuff that "you pay $$$ for" kind of blows.....

Snowshoe, Diablo, Plattekill......in no particular order...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
LOOnatic said:
You also got a few new places like Highland which is north of Boston.
highland is still fairly new so not many trails are open. plus they dont really have any real just dh trails yet. the hucks and jumps are plentiful there. its probably not what he is looking for. i would personally head to diablo.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
LOOnatic said:
Mount snow = waste of time

Personally i would opt for Plattekill, Diablo and snowshoe.

You also got a few new places like Highland which is north of Boston.
:stupid:

Toss-up between Plattekill and Diablo.

Personally, I like Plattekill better for a weekend trip as there are more trails to ride (I like their terrain better), but both have their draws. The gondola at Diablo is so fast you get a lot more riding time.

Snowshoe is nice too - and has more elevation than either, but is a tad far... Snowshoe also has a more "vacation resort" thing going where you can arrive, park your car and not have to drive again for the rest of the week as just about anything you need is in the village (kinda like Whistler). Diablo is getting to that point, but still has a ways to go. Plattekill simply doesn't have that kinda of real estate or money.

One advantage of Plattekill is you can camp in the parking lot, if you're into that.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Diablo is open 7 days a week in July and August. PK is only open weekends and I don't know about Snowshoe (except it will be a long drive).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
from what you are saying plattekill sounds more your style. Fast, actually pretty flowy stuff. Definitely technical. Very limited number of man-made stunts, but they are plenty of rocks and cliffs to get your dropping fix on. Diablo has way more in terms of man made stuff (jumps, bridges) but is still fun. Platty and diablo are about 2 to 2.5 hours apart, and lift costs are within about $5 of each other. If you can swing it financially I would recommend trying to go to both, especially since you could do Platty on the weekend and Diablo during the weekdays.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i like how he says he doesn't want to drive any farther south than new jersey and people suggest snowshoe. . . . brilliant:rolleyes:

i go with diablo. it's open 7 days, has a fast lift, toilets, and isn't in the middle on nowhere. and the water park crowd is something else . . . .

dogwonder

Nitro
May 3, 2005
Walking the Earth
General Lee said:
i like how he says he doesn't want to drive any farther south than new jersey and people suggest snowshoe. . . . brilliant:rolleyes:

i go with diablo. it's open 7 days, has a fast lift, toilets, and isn't in the middle on nowhere. and the water park crowd is something else . . . .
Seconded. Plattekill is more challenging but lifts are real slow. Diablo is well maintained and has plenty of everything.

The other option I haven't heard anyone throw out is Whiteface. Open all week, more vertical than either of the other two, fast lifts, and certainly some challenge.

May 1, 2006
The ADK's
Diablo is amazing, offers all different kinds of trails for all styles of riders, nice mountain, the lifts are great. and the area is very nice as well, great places to stay.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Diablo has awesome stunts and drops, Platty is the gnarcore. Sounds like Platty is more what your looking for, but if you're down there you might as well hit both. If you start think Diablo is too easy, just take a run down BMW.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Mt Snow - Good natural terrain, good amenities, crappy trails
Plattekill - Good natural terrain, crappy amenities, good trails
Diablo - Crappy natural terrain, good amenities, good trails

note, this is all relative, so Diablo's terrain is actually quite good, just not to the level of 1800' vert like Mt Snow, or the "oh sh!t" steepness of Platt. not that mt snow actually takes advantage of their terrain, but...

Overall I'd say Diablo, open 7 days/week and has condos/hotels and a wickedly fast lift. otherwise take your pick of mt snow (great amenities, hotels, condos, restaurants, pool, etc) but so-so trails, or plattekill with great trails/terrain but no condos, crappy hotels, etc.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
dogwonder said:
Seconded. Plattekill is more challenging but lifts are real slow. Diablo is well maintained and has plenty of everything.

The other option I haven't heard anyone throw out is Whiteface. Open all week, more vertical than either of the other two, fast lifts, and certainly some challenge.
True... For the best variety, I would try to do all three in a driving loop, hitting Whiteface and Diablo during the week and Plattekill on a non-race w/e. Two days at each. That would be a sweet "East Coast DH Vacation." Especially if you coming from the North. :)

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Echo said:
Diablo has awesome stunts and drops, Platty is the gnarcore. Sounds like Platty is more what your looking for, but if you're down there you might as well hit both. If you start think Diablo is too easy, just take a run down BMW.
I did that in '04 and stacked pretty badly!

You could do a Wed- Sunday "tour" like this:
W: Whiteface - open 7 days
TH: Jiminy Peak in MA - open 7 days though M-F is the small lift.
F: Diablo - open 7 days
Sat: Diablo again or Platty
Sun: Platty day 2 then back to Canada.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I've ridden at Diablo 4 times now and I think I've only ridden a "stunt" once. There are so many trails that you can ride that are fast, flowly and very technical. I have no idea any of the names of the trails, but with the number of trails, the fast lift, Dominion, and location I'd vote for Diablo. I'm a pure racer and I love riding at Diablo.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Transcend said:
...and isn't "HARDCORE EXTREME!" like plattekill. Ya, those bathrooms are extreme all right. Every time you go in them, you take your life in your hands.
"Shut up and grab a plunger." :hot:

.....the bathrooms at US Open last year were absolutely vile, place should have been taped off.........2 inches standing water infested with fecal matter.....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Cant Climb said:

.....the bathrooms at US Open last year were absolutely vile, place should have been taped off.........2 inches standing water infested with fecal matter.....
The toilet at our on site condo was nice. :rofl:

hellonasty

Monkey
Mar 8, 2005
MSA
Thanks everyone!

I think Diablo its gonna be.

What are the conditions at this time of the year; i.e. has it been raining, is it muddy, dry?

What is the trail they use for the US Open?

Any lodging input? I want a motel, not camping.
Any place to hang out at night?

Thanks.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Cant Climb said:

They were marginally better this year... :dead:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hellonasty said:

There's like a Best Western or something close by. Stayed there for the US Open. 10 of us, 1 room, they didn't care. Lots of things got trashed there. The Magura guys stayed there too and were crashing through ceiling panels into other peoples rooms.

Go to the Vernon Inn for dinner and drinks. Be sure and get yerself a cougar for the night too :rofl:

sharkdh

Monkey
Feb 12, 2006
in the area
Plattekill if you want to ride the best trails on Earth and you want to relax like a King in front a bonfire & Don't forget the Steaks and Beers!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ian F said:
I met a family while skiing at Plattekill who had exactly that: a small pot-belly wood stove in their van. :hot:

hurray you got the reference! :weee: that old guy is crazy but i gotta give it to him. he's been going to platty for years and he still rides that hardtail like its his job. the best is that he stops for beer breaks halfway down the mountain. :rofl:

Polandspring88

Superman
Mar 31, 2004
Broomfield, CO
rigidhack said:
Another vote for Jiminy Peak. A nice stopover on the way to Diablo.

Agreed. Jiminy is amazingly fast and flowy and I could never get bored of the trails there. Diablo and Plattekill are definately fast and steep, but they have oogles of rocks that will rattle you to pieces.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
jonKranked said:
hurray you got the reference! :weee: that old guy is crazy but i gotta give it to him. he's been going to platty for years and he still rides that hardtail like its his job. the best is that he stops for beer breaks halfway down the mountain. :rofl:
LOL! I've only seen them while skiing there. I didn't know they were riding there as well (it's been a few years since I've been to Plattekill... :help: ).

ViciousDHer

eBay vigilante
Oct 30, 2003
Ian F said:
LOL! I've only seen them while skiing there. I didn't know they were riding there as well (it's been a few years since I've been to Plattekill... :help: ).
Haha budweiser in the waterbottle holder !!

Frorider1

Monkey
Apr 28, 2006
Hahah, well Highlands is sort of North Shore(just a little so dont worry) mixed with nice switchbacks and fast flowy trails. For $25 its an awesome deal. Its worth giving it a shot bro, peace.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
Frorider1 said:
Hahah, well Highlands is sort of North Shore(just a little so dont worry) mixed with nice switchbacks and fast flowy trails. For $25 its an awesome deal. Its worth giving it a shot bro, peace.
its $35 to ride there. i would personally wait until later this season or next season. hell, its only 40 minutes away from me but right now i just dont think its worth the drive or the money at this point.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
gnurider1080 said:
its $35 to ride there. i would personally wait until later this season or next season. hell, its only 40 minutes away from me but right now i just dont think its worth the drive or the money at this point.
Unfortunately, with this line of thought there may be no "next year."

A couple of local mtns around here tried DH but when too many complained about the lack of trails, they decided it wasn't worth the effort and closed, which is a shame. No, they didn't have great trails... or a lot of elevation to work with, but they had potential and it was nice having lift-serve mtns less than an hour away.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Hello Nasty:
Thanks everyone!

I think Diablo its gonna be.

What are the conditions at this time of the year; i.e. has it been raining, is it muddy, dry?

What is the trail they use for the US Open?

Thanks.
Nasty - what's up?

Being from Jersey myself and a rider who goes to Diablo form time to time, a good place to stay would be at the Days Inn in McAffee New Jersey which is right next to Vernon and just a 5 min. drive from the mountain.

Unfortunately due to excessive erosion from running the U.S. Open course during the past 4 years, the "rock slab" part of the trail BMW wich makes up about 60% of the U.S. Open race course will be closed indefinitely. It will be re-routed to another equally gnarly trail called "Stigmata" until that part of the mountain heals itself. You can check out the specifics of this course/trail change here:http://www.hcor.net/postt26979.html

As far as a place to hang, the Vernon Inn seems to be the "kick-it" spot for riders. Just beware of the Cougars on the prowl in the lounge.:)

If you want some better entertainment, shoot me a PM and I could point you in one of several directions involving alcohol, nude women double jointed in their lower extremities, or both.:D