Quantcast

MOUNTAIN BIKE THREAD: Best Locale for year-round riding?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Ok guys,

Ive lived in Hawaii, and it was pretty great. You could ride every day and always find some new place to explore. There were lots of trails, marked and unmarked of all kinds. From crazy DH, to epic XC. The only problem is, its a little small.
So where else is great year round?
My first guess would be flagstaff AZ.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I have alot of family in Phoenix, but man it is hot in the summer. Actually, I lived in Kingman (horrible place) when I was a little kid, and it snowed like crazy there once.

Alot of people think the south is great in the winter, but right now it kind of blows.

How about the Seattle area? Or portland?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
LordOpie said:
you've been here... the front range trails aren't snowed in most of the years.
Yeah, CO is great in summer, Im sure, but in winter, seems like the gnarlier trails would be all snowed in. Plus it was COLD when I was there. Dont you remember me almost dying?:dead:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
stinkyboy said:
Flag in the Summer, Phoenix in the winter.
Yup. Close to bootleg too.

Southern California

Various Utah locales

I rode year round in florida.:blah:

I ride here in tahoe in the summer and in reno during the winter...half hour drive, or in the sierra foothills an hour to the west.

I'd say you're already in a pretty good spot for year round riding.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
BurlyShirley said:
Yeah, CO is great in summer, Im sure, but in winter, seems like the gnarlier trails would be all snowed in. Plus it was COLD when I was there. Dont you remember me almost dying?:dead:
In the four year I've been here, that was a rarity. It's been in the 50s for a couple weeks and nearly 60F today.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
stinkyboy said:
That's why summer weekends in Flag/Sedona/Jerome, etc. are awesome.
Yeah, but its a bit of a drive to flagstaff from phoenix. Im looking for the best year round climate/trail system/riding scene for ONE particular area.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BurlyShirley said:
How about near Angelfire? Big trail system in that area?

Hell yeah!

It's about ummm.... 3.5 hrs from Alb.

Lots around Alb though... within an hours drive you can be in the aspens or hammering the mesas.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'd go for trail quality over 12 month riding. A place with 10 months of great trails will probably be better than 12 of good trails. A little time off prevents burnout and makes you apreciate riding more.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
BurlyShirley said:
Whats the name of the town there?

So far weve got.

Flagstaff
Seattle

Well there are several...

Taos, Eagles Nest and Red River are the closest I'd say... Taos being the 'biggest' of the three... althought it is pretty small.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Westy said:
I'd go for trail quality over 12 month riding. A place with 10 months of great trails will probably be better than 12 of good trails. A little time off prevents burnout and makes you apreciate riding more.
Fair enough.

If thats the case, I guess we can add Asheville, NC to this list. Its so trendy tho. Just like Portland... ick.

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
I know there is an anti-Texas bias around here, but Austin has some suprisingly nice singletrack.

I know it isn't the BEST year round riding local, but it is much better than most think.

eric

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
druber said:
I know there is an anti-Texas bias around here, but Austin has some suprisingly nice singletrack.

I know it isn't the BEST year round riding local, but it is much better than most think.

eric
What mountains are near Austin?

None, i think.

Mountains, IMO, are a necessity for 'great' mountain biking.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
BurlyShirley said:
Fair enough.

If thats the case, I guess we can add Asheville, NC to this list. Its so trendy tho. Just like Portland... ick.
Even I get creeped out by all the hippies in Asheville.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
is Portland trendy? i think it's a kickass city.

btw, you can just about ride year-round out in MA too; during the snow season you can drive down to the Cape and ride Otis, Trail of Tears and other places. there's a lot of good to great XC in eastern MA/southern NH, but there's no big mountains.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
narlus said:
is Portland trendy? i think it's a kickass city.

btw, you can just about ride year-round out in MA too; during the snow season you can drive down to the Cape and ride Otis, Trail of Tears and other places. there's a lot of good to great XC in eastern MA/southern NH, but there's no big mountains.
Portland = emo/hippy/tortured artists center of the universe. Otherwise its great... but the dreadlock to normal hair ratio is frightening.

As for the the great northeast, it gets so damned cold! Ive definitelys een great pictures for riding up in NH, but man, the weather..

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
BurlyShirley said:
What mountains are near Austin?

None, i think.

Mountains, IMO, are a necessity for 'great' mountain biking.
You're right...no mountains here. Instead we have a lot of short, steep, ledgey climbs. Lots of rocks.

It happens regularly that we get some CA transplants that think since there are no mountains here that all the riding must be easy.

One guy I ride with fairly regularly moved here from CA. He claims that after riding here for a year he is a much better technical rider.

Of course, if you are into DH, we don't have much of that...although I do see some guys on some monstrous bikes so I imagine the ride them somewhere. :)

Within a 20 minute drive from downtown, there is at least 75 miles of good singletrack. All of it suitable for after/before work rides.

Like I said, it isn't the best riding in the country, but I am 100% positive that the quality of trail down here would surprise a lot of you.

eric

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was told Colorado Springs has something like 230 days of sunshine a year and you can ride the lower hills year round.

Portland is great, don't get me wrong, but most of the good trail systems are a bit of a drive from downtown. You have Forest Park and there is a lot to be had there, but that's about it. If you head West, you have Browns Camp and that area, South you have Dallas, and Falls City, East you have Mt. Hood in the Spring. Further East you have Bend and Post Canyon.

But I'm talking at least an hours drive from downtown to some of the larger trail systems. Portland is a good city, but you have to be able to handle hippies.

On a side note, I knew a guy who moved to Portland because Portland State had the largest female to male student ratio in the country. That was before he learned Portland also had the largest gay community in the country :D

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
johnbryanpeters said:
Brevard, NC
Yeah, I know. The woman and I were looking at moving there. I sort of assumed that would be lumped in with Asheville. The trails in Pisgah are so good.