Quantcast

MOUNTAIN BIKE THREAD: Best Locale for year-round riding?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco said:
:stupid: Don't come to Texas.
Loco, all the best riding in the world couldnt get me to move to that craphole state even if you didnt live there. I cant wait til mexico takes it back.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
burly flagstaff is the way to go. I lived there for two years and dream about my return every night. Usually you cannot ride in the winter b/c of the snow up on the mountain but this year there is no snow. Even if there was snow in the winter you could drive less than forty minutes and be in sedona for some amazing riding. The bars are fun especially flag brewing company and the people are really cool. The town just has an amazing feel to it. plus you dont want to move to arizona if not for flagstaff phoenix is waaay too hot. Man summers in flag are amazing never warmer than 87 with cool nights...finding a job is the only downfall

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't see how you are going to be happy anywhere if Hawaii wasn't good enough...but I agree with others and would you will find better quality overall if you think "most of the year" as opposed to all year.

My vote would go to the Bay Area if it wasn't for all the damn people around. :mumble:

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Ashland OR, usually doesn't get below the mid 30's during the day all year round, 35 min drive from a 7500ft mountian, lots of trails, nice community.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I've heard good things about the outdoor life of Flag and I spent a couple days there some years ago, but what about non-sports life?

How's the job market there?

How's the culture?

Seems like a small town without much diversity for food, entertainment, music. Am I wrong?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
LordOpie said:
I've heard good things about the outdoor life of Flag and I spent a couple days there some years ago, but what about non-sports life?

How's the job market there?

How's the culture?

Seems like a small town without much diversity for food, entertainment, music. Am I wrong?
Diversity? Pffft.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
You might like Vancover WA. Across the Columbia from Portland it's much more Republican than those hippies in Oregon. You are close to Oregon hot spots, 45 minutes from killer St. Helens rides. A couple hours north is Olympia and Capitol Forest with year round riding. The Cowlitz river is an hour away with world-class steelhead fishing. I know Jeenyus 'wheels too (I see your avatar on NAXJA Jeenyus) and could let you know about Tillamook State Forest for both riding and 4X4 fun.

There is a Vancouver campus of Washington State University if you want to continue your education.

Heck there isn't likely anyone from the PNW on RM who wouldn't give the low-down/give directions/or show you all the great trails to ride on around here.

I love it here. I wouldn't live in Seattle or Portland, but where I'm at I can be in either city in less than two hours. Good luck on figuring out where you want to be.

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
opie your wrong. first its a decent sized college town with people coming from all over the country bringing in ton of diversity. Local artist sell their works in all the downtown shops. The food is amazing especially at Beaver Street Brewing Company. Musicians are always playing in the parks and in town square its awesome. Sunday nights during the summer they show kid movies projected onto a huge brick wall in the square bringing families on sleeping bags all enjoying the nice weather. Overall its a great place to live

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
greenchris said:
opie your wrong.
I wasn't insulting the town, just suggesting it's tiny.

greenchris said:
The food is amazing especially at Beaver Street Brewing Company.
you're making the point... you mention ONE restaurant. Again, not insulting, but I come from Miami and that's no where near as diversified in culture, music, food... as Chicago, NY, LA, etc.

greenchris said:
Sunday nights during the summer they show kid movies projected onto a huge brick wall in the square bringing families on sleeping bags all enjoying the nice weather.
Within 30 minutes of me, you get the same thing every night of the week in the various cities of and around Denver.

I hear Flag is awesome, but it IS small, yeah?

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
as of 2000 they had a population of 52000 but that doesnt include the 18000 students attending the college. yes its a smaller town but for the size the culture is rich there. Coming from chicago myself flagstaff is a nice change but not the same thats b/c chicago is a town like noneother. no insult taken but theres a ton of restuarants i just mentioned my personal favorite

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
stinkyboy said:
That's why summer weekends in Flag/Sedona/Jerome, etc. are awesome.
Other than the once a year aircooled VW gathering, I never knew Jerome was a vacation destination.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
SkaredShtles said:
I can't believe there are Texans in this thread telling people not to move to Texas.......... :confused: WTF??
I think even Texans really know Texas sucks.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
LordOpie said:
In the four year I've been here, that was a rarity. It's been in the 50s for a couple weeks and nearly 60F today.
Shush! Dang. It's actually below freezing in Colorado all year round, even in the summer.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
BurlyShirley said:
For some reason, I just cant accept that SoCal is a nice place to live.
You didn't ask for a nice place to live. You asked for a good (best) local for year round RIDING. With that said I would have to place SoCal in the top five. Even on the hottest day of the year here you can ride (take lot's of water!!!), and you can most certainly ride on the coldest day. There is riding of all types everywhere here, except for DH and we are within driving distance to lift assisted riding if that's your thing. It only rains like 10 days a year which can leave things dusty but you'll rarely cancel a ride due to too much dust. Can't say the same for rain or snow. Plus we have hot chicks, awsome mexican food, and we're not Texas. What's not to love about the RIDING.

That being said I don't really like living here and will be moving north as soon as I can. :D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
St. George, UT is fairly good...nice temps in the winter, no rain/snow, in the summer you drive 30 mins north (Cedar City) (hour to Brian Head) to cooler riding. Cheap living, and you're about 2.5 hours from Vegas if that's your thing...

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
id have to go with SoCal .. because thats the most believable place i could be and still have a job and stuff...
if i could just retire and ride id be in hawaii!!!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
btw, i'd have to agree w/ LO's take on the size of Flagstaff...how many touring bands are gonna stop in Flag? if they don't play @ NAU, probably not too many. they will play in PHX instead, on their way to CA. i did dig Flagstaff, but it's certainly not a mecca of cultural activities (unless a lot has changed in the ~5 years i've been there).

BS, what about the Corvallis OR area?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i talk to people on the trail who've moved from Colorado and California, and although they like the places they've come from, they understand the superior riding is here. i can't qualify this however since i've never lived at the other places, and it's really unfair since there are too many factors to consider when mulling over all the intangibles.
But i would think it's fair to say that you could pit the year-round riding in the area in the Pepsi Challenge with anywhere in the states, and if not win, then come fairly close in my estimation.
That's all i have to say about that....

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Skookum said:
i talk to people on the trail who've moved from Colorado and California, and although they like the places they've come from, they understand the superior riding is here. i can't qualify this however since i've never lived at the other places, and it's really unfair since there are too many factors to consider when mulling over all the intangibles.
But i would think it's fair to say that you could pit the year-round riding in the area in the Pepsi Challenge with anywhere in the states, and if not win, then come fairly close in my estimation.
That's all i have to say about that....

The riding in the PNW is spectacular, judging from the pics you post on here.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Spending most of my life in Arizona, I'm going to have to give another nod that direction. Sure, Phoenix is hot in the summer, but the local riding is great and there are numerous places to go. There are all types of riding from easy XC to 'gnar' DH and in the summer Sedona, Prescott, and Payson are all only an hour or so away. sh*t, here in Virginia, I drive an hour each way to ride both days on the weekends just to get to a halfway decent trail. I'd move back in a heartbeat.

Besides that, you have Tucson at 1.5 hours, Flagstaff at 2.5 and Sunrise at 4, not to mention if your wife likes the beach, San Diego is only 5 hours away.

*And for road trips, you can be in Moab in under 10 hours and Colorado in a bit more.

NO DOWNSIDE. If it's too hot, ride at night or take a trip up north.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
peter6061 said:
Spending most of my life in Arizona, I'm going to have to give another nod that direction. Sure, Phoenix is hot in the summer, but the local riding is great and there are numerous places to go. There are all types of riding from easy XC to 'gnar' DH and in the summer Sedona, Prescott, and Payson are all only an hour or so away. sh*t, here in Virginia, I drive an hour each way to ride both days on the weekends just to get to a halfway decent trail. I'd move back in a heartbeat.

Besides that, you have Tucson at 1.5 hours, Flagstaff at 2.5 and Sunrise at 4, not to mention if your wife likes the beach, San Diego is only 5 hours away.

*And for road trips, you can be in Moab in under 10 hours and Colorado in a bit more.

NO DOWNSIDE. If it's too hot, ride at night or take a trip up north.
You live in the wrong part of Virginia. I have 3 places to ride within a 20 minute drive. Drive an hour and I have more trails than I know what to do with.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Westy said:
You live in the wrong part of Virginia. I have 3 places to ride within a 20 minute drive. Drive an hour and I have more trails than I know what to do with.
I agree with you about living in the wronf part of VA, however, other factors that make this decision easy include close proximity to 'real' mountains for skiing/snowboarding in winter and a lack of rain out west that makes riding easy throughout the year.

The ground is so hard out there, I used to be able to ride the morning after we had thunderstorms that produced flooding, and not have to deal with mud or even damp/soft trails.

Also, Phoenix is a metropolitan and offers lots in terms of both cultural diversity and employment. The only downside is the urban sprawl which is making the 'valley of the sun' into a sea of terra-cotta roofs and stucco.

As for my opinion of NoVA,.... it can go suck a d**k.

And on that note, I would love it if you'd show me around some of these 'great' trails you have sometime.... maybe this summer.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
and what about NM? for BS's criteria, you would need the following:

mountains
moderate to hot climate (ie, no snow in those mountains, at least for the year-long or close to it riding he's talking about)

states which have these features:
WA, OR, NM, AZ, CA, UT, CO, TN, SC, NC

is that about it? i guess it depends on what elevation your mountain must be.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
and what about NM? for BS's criteria, you would need the following:

mountains
moderate to hot climate (ie, no snow in those mountains, at least for the year-long or close to it riding he's talking about)

states which have these features:
WA, OR, NM, AZ, CA, UT, CO, TN, SC, NC

is that about it? i guess it depends on what elevation your mountain must be.
Yes. NM should be in the list. But you can remove CO. CO sucks.