Quantcast

Mountain Biking:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Anyone had any good riding experiences lately? It's been too nasty here to ride the MTB. Im liking my road bike, but am missing the trails, even though I hate my local ones.

...when it warms up a bit, Im considering heading to Tsali and some of the Chattanooga trails.

What good rides have you done recently, and what do you have planned?

:picsstfu:

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I raced DH on Sunday in Fontana, CA.
Saturday was really cold and windy. Nothing like 40mph gusts to hurt your confidence. Sunday was really nice though.

Its been unusually dry this winter in So-Cal, which is great for riding, but might mean a bad fire season.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I had a great ride last week, barely any mud, just patches of frost here and there. The frozen conditions are actually great for riding.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Rode the same trails I have ridden millions of times. You'd think I'd be bored but it was an amazing ride. Just really felt one with the bike and trails. Railed corners and flew through technical sections with seemingly no thought or effort, it was like time was slowing down and I could bend the laws of physics. Moments like that are rare for me but ultimately the reason why I keep riding.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I can actually ride my bike! At least till March 9th, then I have to abandon it again. :(

I think I'll do some cold commutes via the dirt.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I've done some killer rides in Santa Cruz over the last few weekends, conditions down there are super tasty right now. Also a few Marin night rides, but I'm not riding during the week as much as I'd like. My formerly dedicated crew of night riders has been decimated by babies.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
When I go out on the roadie, even in like 45 degree weather, my freaking toes go numb in no time. Sucks, but I know Im getting stronger with each ride.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Numb from cold? If not, sounds like a cleat placement issue or shoe problem. Are you using the same shoes you use on your MTB?
It could be a vibration thing too. Much like mountain biking it is not the best thing to do to just run the max pressure in the tire. Set the tire pressure to the conditions. You can roll faster and more comfortably on a road tire with a lower pressure. Rolling resistance is not directly linked to high pressure.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
What do you mean "conditions" ? I run the pressure relatively low, about 100 PSI for my 190lbs. The roads aren't cobbled or anything. Nicely paved.
I think my feet just get cold.

EDIT: Do'h this is an MTB thread, not a roadie thread.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
When I go out on the roadie, even in like 45 degree weather, my freaking toes go numb in no time. Sucks, but I know Im getting stronger with each ride.
What a pvssy!

Seriously, unless you have circulation issues, there is a lot to cleat positioning, which could certainly cause numbness.

Mtn biking does not have the same pedal motion and foot impact as road biking. Typically you will ride seated for 95% of the time, whereas mtn biking you will move all around the bike.

The first step would be to check cleat position relative to the ball of the foot. The pedal axle should be centered under the ball of the foot, which usually means the cleat should be as well. I would check for the ball off the bike, then mark your sole and reposition the cleat.

Also, typically you also slide the cleat towards the inside of your foot, but you can keep it centered as well.

Another thing that might help is sole inserts. I have been using the Specialized and it is pretty straightforward.

Finally, if you are still having problems, you might try a Fit Kit dealer for cleat positioning. They use a special device called R.A.D. to get the right cleat position.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Wow Sanj, thanks. I had no idea it was such a complex issue. I just go ride and thtuff. I should really look into that.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
I haven't ridden an effing bike since early November. :rant: My wrist is all effed...I need to heal up in a bad way. I have another follow up appt. next Wednesday. ugh..

Cazzamazza

Chimp
Sep 17, 2006
Mmm Alien parasites. Been for a couple of rides of late really just at my local DH/FR track as its a mix of rain/clear days over in the Uk lately its ideal for a few hours blasting on the bike!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
i spent a boring hour on my singlespeed which is on my wind trainer... my Rx is getting some much needed maintenance to get ready for the Texas Series next month....

I spun thru last nite's Nova on PBS

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
i spent a boring hour on my singlespeed which is on my wind trainer... my Rx is getting some much needed maintenance to get ready for the Texas Series next month....

I spun thru last nite's Nova on PBS

The liberal media will rot your brain.