Quantcast

Mountain Cross Race on Snow

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Sunlight Mountain in Glenwood Springs is having a Mountain Cross race on snow March 25th. I was just up there today discussing the course layout and how things will be run.

There will be two classes for sure Amatuer and Pro. Depending on turnout we might have a 18 and under Jr. class and separate womens classes.

For now we only plan on doing two riders at a time, instead of the normal four. The part of the hill we are building the course on is fairly steep and is going to provide some great racing. Knowing snow is easy to work with I am going to take advantage of this to try and build a fast and fun course. I already have laid out multiple berms, rollers, doubles, and tabletops. I might work a step up into the course somewhere. I have picked a fairly steep area incase of soft snow conditions so riders will not get too bogged down.

Practice will begin at 9:00am March 25 and the racing will start at 11:00am. We will run qualifiers then set everyone into heats. We have some prizes lined up already and are working on more.

Registration is only going to be $5 for amatuer and $10 for pro with half of the pro entry going towards a prize purse. I will let you know more about the other prizes as I get the information.

This race is going to be part of a whole day of events at Sunlight, there will be a mogul comp, a big air comp, and live bands. It will be a great day on the hill.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
Intriguing - I think I'll show for this. It'd be a nice way to wrap up spring break. Time to bust out the sheet metal screws and duct tape :) $10 for a sweet course (and the fact that I get to ride on a ski hill) is well worth it!

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
Count me in! I'll get to work on my two wheel drifting skills.

Also, is the Big Air (snowboard/ski event I'm assuming?) open to the public?

Thanks,

Alex

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Once we start building I will make sure to have a camera on hand. We are going to start building after this weekend. I was there this past weekend and came up with some more ideas for the course. It is going to be a great time.

.thumper.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
I'm assuming we'll need a lift ticket for this event? Probably not covered by entry fee, I would guess. Anyone know how much the tix are?

Also - anyone have tips on how to set up tires w/ sheet metal screws or something? I've never done a snow race before, but this sounds like a total blast!

.thumper. said:
Also - anyone have tips on how to set up tires w/ sheet metal screws or something? I've never done a snow race before, but this sounds like a total blast!
Get a bunch of self tapping 1/2" sheet metal srews. From what i've seen these have been the best size. I used 1/4" last time and they wern't long enough. Screw them from the inside of your tire through the nob to the outside. If you have the time and patiance hit every outer nob and every other inner nob. Then get some duct tape and put at least a few layer around the inside of the tire, so the screws can't back out. Expect to bleed from being cut by the screws when you fall.

Or If you run tubless with stans or some other type of sealent. Get a bunch of 1/4" hex heads screws and screw them in to an inflated tire from the outside into the nobs. The hexes on the nobs will act as the traction, and this rout you won't get a cut up by sharp screws when you fall.

I wish I could come play. Stupid weading in phoenix.

.thumper.

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
Mike Buell said:
Get a bunch of self tapping 1/2" sheet metal srews. From what i've seen these have been the best size. I used 1/4" last time and they wern't long enough. Screw them from the inside of your tire through the nob to the outside. If you have the time and patiance hit every outer nob and every other inner nob. Then get some duct tape and put at least a few layer around the inside of the tire, so the screws can't back out. Expect to bleed from being cut by the screws when you fall.

Or If you run tubless with stans or some other type of sealent. Get a bunch of 1/4" hex heads screws and screw them in to an inflated tire from the outside into the nobs. The hexes on the nobs will act as the traction, and this rout you won't get a cut up by sharp screws when you fall.

I wish I could come play. Stupid weading in phoenix.
Awesome - exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I am going to check into the lift tickets. Because of the location we will not be using the lift for the race. I am working on arrangements to have a shuttle once we start racing. The hike to the top during practice won't be much more than the hike up for Keystone's dual race last fall. I also am trying to keep the fun jumps and berms towards the top so you really will not need to ride the entire course during practice.

I would still bring the skis and boards Sunlight is one of the only affordable ski areas left $39 for a full day ticket and $32 for a half day (after12:00).

Give me some input what kinds of things would you guys like to see in the course?

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
oh, and if you wouldnt mind making a nice steep lip and a big fluffy landing off to the side I'm sure we'd all enjoy ourselves that much more (trick practice anyone?)

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I have done a fair amount of these snow races now, they are so much fun.

If only Sunlight had 30' tables in the park like the last place I rode at. It is crazy how riding on snow all your fears just melt away:weee: :p

-Cory

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
They have been working the hill with groomers this week. Tomorrow they are going to start scraping the hill to get snow pilled where we need it. The Friday morning we will start shaping everything. I hope Sunlight has a digital came and I can give some updates as we build things Friday.

I am getting excited these races are so much fun, right now I am not sure what the turnout is going to be but everything is pointing to a large turnout. I was interviewed by the local paper about the race today. The paper thinks we are crazy for doing this. They just do not know the fun they are missing!

Mtnrider

Monkey
Jul 1, 2001
Littleton, CO
Hey Cory!

Any idea which would be better? My DJ style HT or my trail/light freeride bike? I'll get smoked either way so I guess it doesn't make that much difference:)

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
A hardtail or short travel bike are going to be best. Which one you ride is going to depend on peronal preference. I know I will most likely end up on a hardtail(borrowed). With snow you do not rally have the samll bumps you get in dirt mtx courses. I have never had trouble with running a hardtail.

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I am really getting excited now the weather looks perfect! It is going to be high 30's tomorrow so the snow will be nice and soft to work with. Overnight it is going to drop into the low 20's this should firm up everything very solid. Saturday the are forcasting a high of 40 at Sunlight mtn. Should be great racing the course should hold up great and the weather will be easy to dress for. If the snow stays solid which it looks like it will this is going to be a fast course.

now which tires???:think:

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Registration will be at guest services.

Everything had already frozen by 5:00 tonight so I did take one run. The top is a blast the dual berms work great. After you get out of the last large berm hold on it is more or less a straight shot will only a small double before you get to the triple. Riders will be all over their brakes coming into the triple if they are not jumping at least part of it. I did not measure anything out but the triple is every bit of 30'. Looking at it the prefered line will probably will be to single then double it. The first roller is paced a touch farther then the rest so you would have plenty of setup time after rolling it.

I think studded tires will be best, to bad I am to lazy to make some up tonight.

R

richcreek

Wish i could make it up there but i cant, got to work to get some cash for new bike!!!!