Quantcast

Move closer to DirtyMike....or buy a new vehicle?

descente

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Sandy Eggo
wouldn't putting in a new motor be less expensive than buying any new-to-you used vehicle??
if you ever owned one of those blazers, you would not be saying that.

they are hands down one of the ****tiest vehicles out there. my wifes 99 had tons of issues. weird transmission shifting response put me into a ditch one time, had a cap and rotor corrode out after 5k miles. best thing we ever did with it was trade it in and let someone else run it into the ground.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
if you ever owned one of those blazers, you would not be saying that.

they are hands down one of the ****tiest vehicles out there. my wifes 99 had tons of issues. weird transmission shifting response put me into a ditch one time, had a cap and rotor corrode out after 5k miles. best thing we ever did with it was trade it in and let someone else run it into the ground.
I gotta agree. This one was gifted to me by my grandfather in pristine condition. I knew at around 100k miles that it had a lot of plastic bits, half ass electronics and engine glitches to be in one of those "super dependable vehicle" commercials.

Mom has an 89 Mazda 323 with 350k+ miles that is more bomb proof and my dad's 94 F150 has 220k on it with nothing more than a slave cylinder in the clutch to speak of.

I think they just stuffed way too much "new to market" technology into the chassis. The draw of the vehicle was that when the engine ran good, it ran incredible. But when bad...soooooo bad.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
On 2 different autos now, I've poured a bottlecap of oil into a cylinder that was showing low compression and virtually fixed it both times. Of course I know that's not a fix at all, more of a diagnosis of bad rings, but it bought me some time on each vehicle (well...one of them is about to go under the knife and the other is sold).

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
On 2 different autos now, I've poured a bottlecap of oil into a cylinder that was showing low compression and virtually fixed it both times. Of course I know that's not a fix at all, more of a diagnosis of bad rings, but it bought me some time on each vehicle (well...one of them is about to go under the knife and the other is sold).
I've already had a guy come by who buys & scraps 'em for parts and talked to numerous junk yards locally. No takers on it. Everybody has more than enough piece parts off these things to go around it would seem.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Funny you mention. The mechanic had a young guy there say " tell himn I will sell him.my 2000 blazer and take his 97 in trade for only $2500.

I respectfully declined. Got $400 in new tires plus $500 in a new fuel pump. Talked to an auto recycled who will pay $11.50 per lb which would make me.maybe $400 off it? Trying to figure a way to sell the tires, fuel pump, battery...maybe the Cat? And still get it towed to the recycled without those things on it. I'm open to suggestions. Would like to squeeze a few hundred extra out of gutting it, but logistics may be tough.
Could you do that trade and then resell the new one for more than the $2500 plus what you'll get out of this one?
Not a good trade there as the difference in vehicle isnt $2500

Not sure if that screen shot is real clear but basically an above average 2000 Blazer value = 2200 a below average value 97 = 870. Even just the scrap is $400. 2200 - 400 = 1800.

My advice just get it rolling even puttering along, bring some cash and walk into a car dealer, they will make something happen.

Last edited:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Rob, I can't get it to a dealer unless I tow to a hill just out sight, then coast it in.
And I blame Tacoma owners for the price of the used ones. Seriously, you idiot jackholes that are paying that much for leaf springs and 4 seats are driving the prices through the freaking roof. $19k+ for a 4 door truck???

Jeremy, not sure how a single income family with a full time student for a spouse and two dependants could use a $2500 write off? We get back a decent hunk of change on taxes b/c of all that. Any tax gurus out there explain how that helps me? Good advise for those in a 2 income household tax bracket I guess, but we always seem to be standard deduction folks.

All this feedback and suggestions are GREATLY appreciated by the way.