Quantcast

Moving to AZ in January

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Oh man, are you going to have some fun out here! Slime tubes or Stans is your new best friend. More riding all year around than you can shake a big stick at.

Here's our group portfolio you are welcome peruse to see what the area is like.

doodoobi

Chimp
Dec 27, 2006
hawaii/temporary in AZ
welcome to AZ!! the riding here is pretty good as in XC. i just got into fr/dh. picked up a kingfisher and planning to hit more of south mountain. well from reading this thread seems you live close to me and if you wann do some rides at trail 100. with me and my friends you are more than welcome. just pm'ed you my info

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
yup... ill get them up when i get settled in in phoenix. i also went for my first xc ride... other than not having stans or slime i only had a slow leaker that i just kept pumping as i went... it did cause a nice dismount near the bike shop that involved me skipping across the street on my arm and losing some skin. all in all it was a good day though.

Going_Loud

Chimp
Oct 2, 2006
Minnesota
As I am probable moving to AZ in May, I was wondering about how many flats does a person get a month who rides about 5 days a week if that person used regular tubes?

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I used to always carry two tubes with me on every ride. If you run tube sealent, one flat every couple weeks. Without, prepare for at least one every other ride.

That was pre-tubeless. If I were there now, I think tubeless would completely be the way to go. Ditch the tube and throw in some Stan's.

thejames

Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
austin
i have only gotten one flat in the last three months of riding 4-5 times a week at south mountain. regular tubes, regular tires at 35 psi. the flat that i got was a pinch flat, if you stay on the trail you won't get many from thorns on the main trails(mormon, national etc.)

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
i have only gotten one flat in the last three months of riding 4-5 times a week at south mountain. regular tubes, regular tires at 35 psi. the flat that i got was a pinch flat, if you stay on the trail you won't get many from thorns on the main trails(mormon, national etc.)
That is true, if you stick to the main/maintained trails you are more likely to get a pinch flat than anything else.